New Head Coach Possibilities

Student article on names being floated:

1 Like

Very little doubt from me about who the most appropriate hire would be from this list.

2 Likes

So there is CDH, 3 coaches who have been fired with losing records, and an OSU assistant coach with no HC experience. I’m voting for the one in Miami’s HOF.

2 Likes

Clark-Heard had a 74-75 record at UC, but was stellar at WKU.

1 Like

I like to look at incoming freshmen to any Miami athletic team and learn what schools were on their final, let’s say, List of 3…where else could that athlete have gone? Miami has had many, including wbb players that could have gone to the current Top 20 programs of their respective times. As possible recruits, I’m sure a bunch of us here on this Board have seen or known those that were “Miami Material” - had a work ethic and talent capable of representing our program AND meeting the challenge of the Miami education. CDH was one of those talents. Definite top 20 programs in her day wanted her, but… she came to Oxford. She got what the Miami experience, the Miami diploma meant. Shoot, even to the point of being voted 3x Captain, experiencing team and definitely individual success on the court as it culminated into what had to be a 1st ballot HOF honor. Even continued her search for knowledge by Miami standards to gain a Masters AND Doctorate degrees while working as an AC. Who has ever done that? Anyone know of a HOF member that has achieved that? How many ACs?Now for A.D. Salyer to be the guy that during his tenure promotes “Graduating Champions” while to think he might go with someone else other than CDH? Then may I humbly instill this thought to the President, the Board of Trustees and Mr. A.D…when a Miami product with the integrity, respect, standards and work ethic of one CDH doesn’t get the nod to lead the program that has imploded on all of your watch…what are you doing at Miami? Tick, tock, tick, tock.

5 Likes

What is your preferred gender identity, Mother? He/She/It?

Because??? Did I skip something in joining this topic/Board?

3 Likes

I like Colleen as well, but assuming for whatever reason she didn’t want the opportunity, I’d love to hear your top 3 candidates as it’s clear you know and love the program.

I love the Miami loyalty on this board but it amazes me that hire after hire, the Miami connection continues to somehow portend coaching success.

Would the corporate execs on this board hire someone based on the same criteria?

1 Like

gonna start asking a/s/l every time someone new signs up

2 Likes

Can not make assumptions in today’s world. Just asking for the preferred way to refer to you.

I hope so. That’s what alumni career networking is supposed to be all about. Should at least get you consideration.

2 Likes

Colleen has certainly gotten consideration based on the views of many on this board. Her Miami is resume is impeccable. However, without the Miami connection there is nothing in her coaching history that suggests she would be a serious candidate for any other HC job. Perhaps that will be enough in this special instance but Colleen.does not meet any objective criteria that normally would control in a HC hire.

In addition to the other names mentioned in the Student article I think Glenn Box would be a logical candidate. 8 years at IU (4 as associate HC). Also coached at St Louis, Akron and Western Michigan in addition to being a winning head coach at the JUCO level.

As others have stated, this needs to get done ASAP. Major failure if the HC is not named by end of next week,

1 Like

Took a look through the flight tracker records and there’s not any obvious candidates based on anything there.

Just throwing some names out there:

John Barnes, HC Youngstown St
Glenn Box, AHC Indiana
Ayla Guzzardo, HC SELA
Chris Kielsmeier, HC Cleveland St
Carla Morrow, AHC Ohio St
Kari Pickens, HC Ashland
Justine Raterman, AC Marquette

Do you know for a fact that Coach Box has applied? As Assoc HC for this many years, isn’t Miami a salary decrease? If he would stay put in Bloomington, you don’t think he would get the HC position? He’s been to how many schools already…does he have connections that would keep him in Oxford for a long time or would we be another stepping stone?

1 Like

So Miami wasn’t good enough for Justine to attend, and not good enough for her to stay and apply to coach, but now she would be a candidate better than CDH? And allow me to answer one question another sent my way by putting this little caveat into the mix…when we can count on one hand how many women have been hired onto a Men’s D1 staff as an Asst., don’t even bother to start counting how many have been hired as HC…personally, my blood boils when I see men get the HC women coaching position jobs. When all else becomes equal…not a problem. And yes, I owe my career to 2 fathers of friends introducing me to the game. But great women candidates are not getting the professional experience as more and more men are awarded the HC positions over equally qualified women candidates. Recently, Becky Hammon getting the Raptors’ interview or having the awesome opportunity via the Spurs due to the great Popovich doesn’t solve the problem. How’s that for showing my cards.

4 Likes

DeUnna Hendrix’s base salary was $215k. The most recent base salary for Glenn Box I could find was $140k in 2019.

I was really surprised BG didn’t hire her. Also surprised she hasn’t shown up as a name potentially under consideration here.

My point in asking the question I did earlier was to make certain we were getting a woman’s point of view. There are a lot of mothers on this board who aren’t women. As NESCACDAD, I identify - by the way - as He/Him.

I definitely believe that women should be given primary consideration in coaching women’s sports.

1 Like

I don’t know anything. I also don’t know any of the names mentioned, including CDH. I am only looking at the facts and making reasonable conclusions therefrom. I believe that allows me to provide a more objective look at all of this compared to those of you who are emotionally connected here.

As I have stated before, I appreciate your passion for CDH. I will fully support her if she gets the job. However, an objective look at her resume vs. other potential candidates (for example, those listed by Quinoaburger or the Student article) makes her a long shot. I would put Justine Ratterman in that category as well. If she gets the job you can assume that it is due to a STRONG endorsement from Duffy.

1 Like