New Head Coach Possibilities

interesting…previous head coach experience was on the previous resume. Still worshiping those Big Ten/Big East types. We used to beat them. And if my memory serves me correct…the last time was when Colleen was leading the team. Go back even more…beat Big 10s in Millett and on their home floor. And if there is a person out there with that resume you are suggesting, actively looking for a head coaching job and as of April 29th still has not been hired…then nope. You need to meet CDH.

3 Likes

Hendrix got wins against ACC and Big East teams. CDH has not recorded a single win against a power conference opponent during her nine seasons as associate head coach at Miami and Akron.

2 Likes

Maybe hiring both of them would give us an inside track on recruiting Chet Mason’s daughter, who’s in 8th grade and has already gotten a D-1 offer.

2 Likes

We’ve only got like 5 returning players and recruits are starting to decommit. Hard to see any way this team isn’t terrible next season. Could it work to have an interim coach in place for a year (similar to how Jim Grobe served as a one year placeholder at Baylor between Art Briles and Matt Rhule)? That would allow for there to be a review of the handling of the Hendrix situation to determine if any other heads need to roll before we make any long term decision. That would also give us first pick in the following coaching cycle and allow the new coach to get a jump on the portal to rebuild for the 24/25 season.

Not sure if there are any assistant coaches (would depend on what they knew and when) or external candidates who’d be willing and able to fill that interim role.

1 Like

It is now exactly 2 weeks since DS learned of what Hendrix did. No news on a new HC. Even if he could not hire until she resigned 4/26, he could have made inquiries, calls etc. And perhaps he did. I don’t know. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was. But everyday that goes by is a lost opportunity.

3 Likes

Thats why he nees to go

1 Like

Are there laws about how long a job has to be publicly posted? Legitimate question I don’t know the answer to so I’m really just curious.

I doubt Miami can match Dayton in an assistant coaches salary. Jermaine is in the right place.

1 Like

True, but unless something has changed since I graduated 105 years ago, Dayton has no Phan Shin. Colleen and Jermaine fell in first love with the flavors of Phan Shin, and then each other! Dayton is no match for MU. And we can thank Phan Shin for that.

1 Like

So job has been posted 6 days per NCAA job openings site. Only other HC position in state is Wilmington and its been posted for 3 weeks I believe. The only Division I HC positions I see open are Monmouth and Dartmouth in out East. Eastern New Mexico obviously out west and if one really wants to enjoy great weather, believe there is one in Hawaii. Otherwise there are a handful of D2 and smaller schools. Interestingly, the Miami position lists salary as “tbd”…so “to be determined” based on experience I’m sure. However, what was the salary difference between Duffy (no HC) and Hendrix (had HC experience) entering this position? Once again, the timing is simply this…the transfer portal is quickly coming to a close. An example of the reality in fielding a Miami-worthy team: to find let’s say Graduate student candidates (4 yr eligibility and graduating done, looking for better school and end-of-career bball experience so opting to play one’s Covid year elsewhere), will our own Graduate admission’s process accommodate? Admission deadline is typically in January. So Athletic Department employee reading this…time is of the essence. Have your upcoming weekend festivities unveiling the next statue, then next week, unveil the Miami product and best hire that will be worthy of her own in due time.

2 Likes

Hendrix base salary was $227, 247. Again that is base not including incentives, etc. This is all public record. That likely is at least as high as Monmouth, Dartmouth, and Eastern New Mexico. And yes, as CoolPapa said, and MotherMiami just said, time is most certainly of the essence.

Makes total sense to me. Both quality people who care about Miami!

What is the portal situation re women’s BB? Is the portal still open?

Portal for basketball, unless they have changed it, is March 13-May 11. That is to enter the portal. No deadline on signing with a new school.

1 Like

Athletic director needs to go taking to long to hire an coach it is easy hire colleen

1 Like

We have lost another '23 commit.

6-3 Cristen Carter from Ben Davis HS in Indy now headed to Butler.

We are getting killed by this disaster…pressure has to be building on Sayler to get a new HC in place ASAP B4 it’s too late (actually, for next season it probably is too late).

Hindsight is 20/20 but kinda shows you what happens when you have a failing HC but don’t “pull the plug” when you should…she should have been fired a year ago

5 Likes

How many will we lose???

2 Likes

Every day that goes by we are falling farther and farther behind and losing more recruits. Unless DS is being turned down by everyone he talks to, this coach needs to be in place now!

Pressure building to hire? From who, besides a few on this board?

1 Like