New Head Coach Possibilities

Since there was complaining about discussing this on another WBB thread, I have started a new thread. If we decide to be pursue a new coach here are my thoughts.

This is an absolute no brainer. You reach out to Colleen Day to see if she is interested. The complicating factors are she and Jermaine just had a baby in 2022 and Jermaine is an assistant coach at Cleveland State. Unless Miami has a job for Jermaine as well it may be very difficult to get Colleen to come. Colleen would be an excellent head coach.

3 Likes

Didnt they just have coach Hendrix in the latest Miami U commercial

2 Likes

If you hire her, the obvious solution would be to try to get Jermaine to be her top assistant. I think they would succeed. Between them they probably have 40 years of college coaching experience. They are are smart, well spoken, and very competitive people. Also, it they got it going, they would not be looking to immediately move up, they would want to build a great program like the one we played today. They loved being here and all that Miami basketball used to mean.

6 Likes

Hiring them would be the easiest decision DS has ever had to make.

2 Likes

D .s probably not that smart to

1 Like

I am friends with both. Nothing would make me happier than to see them back at Miami where they belong!!

5 Likes

So Mr. A.D. guy…what’s been our M.O. with Miami Athletics besides Ben’s alma mater and lack of enthusiasm? “Cradle of Coaches”? “Graduating champions”? Well, put the money where your marketing plan is and hire one of our own - i.e. a candidate that actually played, started, Academic All American, 3 yr capt, All MAC, for pete’s sake Lee Ann Davidge Award winner, and hire Colleen Day Henderson! Easy peasy. And in case you forgot the concept of “academic vitae” and how it corelates with your “Graduating champions”…while being employed here as an assistant coach in charge of post players, academic advising AND later recruiting coordinator…she obtained her Master’s degree AND Doctorate from your employer, our Miami. Now her husband has accepted a position at U.D. which is a lot closer than Cleveland State…so make it even easier and hire them both! This implosion of the women’s basketball program is on YOU! (in case he actually reads this board in between settling with a coach that broke one heck of a rule.

1 Like

You left out Hall of Famer.

1 Like

Pretty sure this message board is the last thing on his list of things to read during his leisure time. And working time.

Pretty sure the only way he’ll listen is if you wrote him a donor check with at least 6 zeroes in it. Minimum. Otherwise he couldn’t care less about this site.

My understanding is members of the athletic department not only know of MHT, both this board, and the prior, but routinely read it.

I want everyone to read this bio. Read every sentence. And then tell me if you think Colleen Day Henderson isn’t qualified to be Miami Women’s Basketball’s next Head Coach. Miami talks all the time about valuing the student-athlete. On and off the court. Colleen has done just that. In my opinion, there is not one box Colleen’s resume doesn’t check. Other than coaching at a P5 school, and prior HC experience. Not coaching at a P5 school wouldn’t even be on my checklist was I putting one together. I can’t deny prior HC experience has its value. But there are numerous examples of successful coaches who moved from assistant to HC. Such as Jon Scheyer at Duke, as just one quick easy example. I want those who have spoken out against CDH, saying “there are better more qualified candidates” to read this. Then, tell us what on her resume is missing. To me, the answer is nothing that in the big picture matters. Do the right thing for Miami. Do the right thing for the most important people, the players. Name Colleen Day Henderson the next head coach of Miami Women’s Basketball.

University of Akron Athletics

3 Likes

Great points.

I don’t know the answer, but is it possible she does not want the job (if offered)?

1 Like

You say there is not one box Colleen’s resume doesn’t check and then mention two big ones that are missing—coaching at a P5 school and prior HC experience.

Colleen is certainly a qualified candidate but her resume is clearly inferior to many other coaches out there.

For example, how about this one?

College All-American
USA women’s team
Played three seasons in WNBA
Assistant coach for a Big East team
Associate head coach for another Big East team
Assistant coach for a Big Ten team
Family ties in the area

Who would you hire?

Perhaps Colleen’s Miami connections and the dumpster fire we are in will get her the job.

However, let’s be real and not believe that this is a no brainer hiring decision.

In light of the current situation you also may not be doing Colleen any favors. Miami was not in a good place before. It is even worse having to try to fix this mess. I am sure it can be done but a real challenge for a first time head coach.

Here’s a wild idea: hire C. Vivian Stringer for one year (or some other proven commodity that doesn’t want a long-term gig and is in retirement.) Then, name Colleen coach in waiting at the same time. The two of them can then go and rebuild the program. For the first year, it’s a two-person job in my opinion as there’s a lot of stuff to be done beyond basketball. This takes pressure off of a coach with no head coaching experience. Once stabilized, give Colleen the keys. Again, a wild idea.

Lax we will agree to disagree. Interesting you didn’t give the name of the person you were referencing. And as to CDH’s “deficiencies,” I acknowledged the lack of HC experience but gave an example of someone succeeding with no HC experience. I could give others. So no, I don’t count that as a negative. As to “clearly inferior” to many others, yes, I concede her resume isn’t as good as Dawn Staley and Geno Auriemma’s. (P.S. Geno wasn’t a head coach anywhere prior to taking the UCONN job!!)

Pretty sure it’s Duffy.

It’s absolutely Duffy’s resume. Easy to cherry pick her in hindsight but at the time she was also a gamble, as is any new hire.

I don’t what day the following was posted, but this is on the Miami job postings:
correction - posted April 28

Head Women’s Basketball Coach

Job Number: 501816

Department: Intercollegiate Athletics

To administer a Division I program in the sport of basketball consistent with the policies of Miami University, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and other appropriate governing bodies (i.e. Mid-American Conference). The Head Women’s Basketball Coach will be responsible for facilitating the academic, athletic, and overall growth of every Women’s Basketball student-athlete. Additionally, this individual, will work closely with the Women’s Basketball Sport Administrator and Athletic Director, to continually assess and elevate the program’s status in the areas of academics, recruiting, budget tracking and reporting, equipment ordering, marketing/public relations, sports medicine, strength and conditioning, departmental compliance, alumni engagement, facility management.

Also - the more detailed requirements:

Head Women’s Basketball Coach

Apply nowJob no: 501816
Department: Intercollegiate Athletics
Work type: Salary Staff
Categories: Athletics, Recreation
Temporary: No

Job Title: Head Women’s Basketball Coach
Hours Per Week: full-time
Job Summary: To administer a Division I program in the sport of basketball consistent with the policies of Miami University, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and other appropriate governing bodies (i.e. Mid-American Conference).
The Head Women’s Basketball Coach will be responsible for facilitating the academic, athletic, and overall growth of every Women’s Basketball student-athlete. Additionally, this individual, will work closely with the Women’s Basketball Sport Administrator and Athletic Director, to continually assess and elevate the program’s status in the areas of academics, recruiting, budget tracking and reporting, equipment ordering, marketing/public relations, sports medicine, strength and conditioning, departmental compliance, alumni engagement, facility management.
This position specifically supports the mission of the University and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics by assisting in institutional compliance with NCAA and Conference rules and regulations.
Duties/Physical Demands: • Plan, organize and direct all activities involved with a Division I women’s basketball program.
• Develop and monitor the academic progress of students through graduation rates and APR scores.
• Recruit prospective student-athletes of character who can developmentally thrive at Miami University.
• Conduct the women’s basketball program in accordance with all NCAA rules, including attendance at compliance meetings, appropriate record keeping for recruiting and playing/practice seasons, monitoring eligibility of student-athletes in the program, successfully completing the annual NCAA certification test, and assisting in the education of student-athletes about NCAA rules.
• Plan and administer all practice and game related activities.
• Hire and supervise full-time assistant coaches and support staff
• Develop, track, manage and be fiscally responsible for the sport budget.
• Purchase and coordinate sport equipment along with assigned Equipment Manager.
• Work with strength and conditioning staff to develop a program suitable for student-athletes.
• Work alongside the Wellness Services personnel to ensure the physical health and safety of all student-athletes is of utmost importance
• Process financial aid recommendations as appropriate for the women’s basketball program.
• Monitor the admission process for incoming student-athletes with the Office of Admissions.
• Represent the women’s basketball program to outside constituencies (media, civic groups, donor functions, campus departments, student groups, etc…)
• Participate in departmental activities, including service on committees and attendance at all scheduled required meetings.
• Assist in the identification of career outreach opportunities for student-athletes.
• Engage the Miami Women’s Basketball alumnae across the country through a systematic stewardship process along with the help of the Sports Administrator and University Advancement Office.
• Participate in activities as requested by Miami Athletics Development
• Perform other duties as assigned by the athletic administration.
Minimum Qualifications: • Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience in teaching basketball skills, recruiting and coaching
Desired Qualifications: • Master’s Degree
• Network of contacts in primary recruiting areas
• Division I coaching experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge of NCAA rules and policies
Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with prospective student-athletes, current student-athletes, staff and University personnel
Strong organizational skills to manage and lead an athletic program
Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and promote an inclusive work environment
Diversity Statement: Miami University is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, research, and working environment for all.

For more information on Miami University’s diversity initiatives, please visit the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion webpage. For more information on Miami University’s mission and core values, please visit the Mission and Core Values webpage.|
|EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:|Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or 513-529-3560.

As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223.|
|Labor Law Posters for Applicants:|Miami University is committed to providing up-to-date information from the Department of Labor to our applicants for employment. Here, you will find links to the current information regarding the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).|
|Benefits Eligible:|Yes|

A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.

For questions regarding reasonable accommodations for disabilities, or to follow-up with a request, please contact ADAFacultyStaff@Miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.

Advertised: 28 Apr 2023 Eastern Daylight Time

This Organization Participates in E-Verify.

It is. I just saw no reason not to name her. I would also point out that the coach we are replacing was a HC at another DI school. Leaving aside the current embarrassment and transgression or whatever you want to call it, her record on the court was abysmal, 35-80. So prior DI HC experience clearly is not the be-all, end-all of a successful hire.

4 Likes