Monitoring the Miami Transfer Portal

Darn. i thought we were out of the woods on this stuff until after spring ball

I’m thinking this was a bit of a surprise. Feth’s a Colerain guy. I wonder if he’s headed to UC? I guess we’ll get Sam Vaughn back healthy but losing 40% of the starting five of the most experienced OL we’ve had in a long time is not optimal.

I think he’s seen Godlevske and Lonnie Phelps have success at a higher level, and with a grad year, why not give it a shot. I will be disappointed if he lands at UC, but not surprised.

Feth already has offers rolling in from Purdue, UVA, and WVU. I have to believe UC will be close behind and would be the odds on favorite to land him.

I don’t think he will end up at UC.

1 Like

I think when he saw the interest in Schaeffer, and Schaeffer landing at Oklahoma, that helped make his decision. I don’t blame him at all. He stayed the 4 years, got his degree. My concern with these transfers is longer term, as far as giving back to the program. Will guys like Danny G, Caleb, Rusty etc, give money back to the program in the future like Brandon Brooks etc have done?

3 Likes

Good question. I transferred into Miami from an out of state school. After I transferred, my loyalty to my previous school disappeared and I became a lifetime Miami loyalist. Hard to predict how divided loyalties play out in the future. I’m guessing the guys like Danny, Caleb and Rusty who played four years at Miami might have a higher level of loyalty to our program than the guys who stayed a couple of years, seldom played and then transferred.

1 Like

Makes me nervous for Gabbert. We must protect the QB. Feth was really good.

Kam Butler really shined at UVa…and they need tons of help on the o-line

1 Like

Money talks.

2 Likes

Darn. Make it stop

4 Likes

I really miss indentured servitude.

2 Likes

Well the portal window closed except the last two guys will be grad transfers since they both should graduate in May. Unfortunately there may be more now that classes started back.

1 Like

Next man up.

Changing demographics: I think we’re starting to see the shift in our recruiting footprint reflected in the makeup of the transfer portal. 11 of the 13 players in this year’s outbound portal are from outside Ohio. We are no longer filling our roster with guys who grew up in Ohio or the tri-state metro Cincinnati area. Most have no traditional tie to Miami - emotionally or physically - or through a legacy of classmates and/or relatives who attended Miami. The overwhelming majority grew up with nothing more than a passive awareness of Miami. Many - especially those who don’t get the playing time they envisioned getting - find it fairly easy to walk away. After all, they don’t even play where friends and family and easily come to watch them play. There is no emotional tie or compelling reason for them to be in Oxford. The novelty seems to be wearing off fairly quickly for many distant out-of-staters.

5 Likes

Feth was the other O-lineman that I expected to enter. Kimpson was a bit of a surprise. I still expect 1 or possibly 2 more key guys to enter in the spring.

I am not going to get worked up about anyone who goes into the transfer portal.

Look at last year–we lost 3 guys on D who ended up on NFL rosters. We lost another 3 guys on D to Power 5 schools through the portal.

However, we end up with defense in 2022 that was about the same statistically that we had in 2021 when we had all of that talent.

The college game has always been fluid with rosters turning over completely every 4-5 years. 85 scholarship are there and we expect some to step up every year. The transfer portal does take away but it also gives an opportunity for new talent. In our case it gives us the chance to attract raw P5 talent we would not have gotten in the past.

I am confident the coaches will find a way.

3 Likes

Who were the three guys that ended up in the NFL?

1 Like

Robinson, Weatherford, and Brown

1 Like