Monitoring the Miami Transfer Portal

I’d have loved to be an “indentured servant”

Feth visiting Iowa this weekend. Martin and coaches can certainly recruit and develop talent

2 Likes

That’s why I think we will always have good players wanting to come here. Since he’s been in Oxford, we’ve had like 7 players appear on active NFL rosters with several others on the practice squad. That’s pretty impressive and proof others see it. Not to mention all the good talent being poached.

3 Likes

We have definitely had the talent to win 8-9 games a year. We just have bad coaching with awful game management skills and no ability to make adjustments. So we scratch and claw to win 6 games.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. Plenty of MAC teams have had more NFL players than we have had under Chuck.

2 Likes

Maybe but you’re forgetting how it was before he arrived. He’s absolutely improved things.

1 Like

He improved things from 2 1/2 mostly dismal Treadwell years to .500 mediocrity over nine years. I don’t see a change in trajectory coming anytime soon.

6 Likes

I hope we don’t lose anymore guys to the portal. Feth is a huge loss. I wouldn’t be surprised if some others follow him. We can’t afford to lose anyone on defense.

1 Like

We didn’t run the ball effectively with Schaffer and Feth. Maybe it’s not such a great loss. Prove me wrong.

1 Like

Given that Schaeffer was picked up by Oklahoma and Feth has numerous P5 offers already, I would venture to say the issue wasn’t with them.

3 Likes

We didn’t run the ball because every team knew we couldn’t pass it. Pretty simple

3 Likes

I really believe it is not that simple.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:t2:

Some real idiot fans on here.

Feth and Schafer are enormous losses.

1 Like

Pace, Butler and Phelps were enormous losses last year.

Compare 2021 vs. 2022 team defense.

Nary a difference in team stats. If anything we were better on creating turnovers.

Yes, with those guys back we might have been even better.

However, poor defense did not hold us back in 2022. It was the offense in which we had almost every starter back. Injuries explain part of it. However, nowhere near all of it.

Nest man up!

1 Like

I appreciate your optimism but I think it is misguided

You are saying that the stats between 2022 and 2021 were similar but we had a very disappointing team in 2021 that led us to losing/replacing our defensive coordinator

We often have good defensive stats cause we play slow but in the key 2021 games we gave up 35 to Ohio and over 40 to Kent

Yes our offense was the main problem in 2022 but I dont think the problem was our guards. Martin whined about losing the left tackle to injury ALL YEAR. So while next man up is nice we dont have the depth for next man up. This adds another hole we need to replace with a transfer or player that wasnt in the rotation last year

My hopes for the program are to be better than 2021 and 2022. I dont know how losing our most experience players that were good enough to play at power 5 schools helps us in any way.

4 Likes

You are exactly right that depth is a huge problem for us. It is the same for all G5 schools. The roster talent is not deep enough at G5 schools to plug and play. As I mentioned, that was a major contributing factor for the offense in 2022.

It hurts to lose Caleb and Rusty to P5 schools and Shelton to a G5 school. The biggest loss was Saunders to Ole Miss because he had more eligibility remaining. However, every other guy in the transfer portal is either going to FCS or will not get any scholarship offers.

On the other hand, we already have commitments from guys with enough talent to play at Colorado, South Carolina, Kentucky and Notre Dame. We have another guy from a G5 school that played a lot.

Last year, we lost 3 guys to P5 schools but we replaced with talent from Indiana (2), MSU, Iowa State, Rutgers, Stanford and Virginia Tech. The transfers from G5 Holy Cross, East Carolina and Mercer were not benchwarmers. They had a lot of field reps.

I don’t like losing transfers. It really hurts to lose one where you saw something P5’s did not see coming out of HS and developing them into real players. However, so far, when I do the math it appears that the transfer portal is allowing us to better ourselves by improving our depth when looked at it totality.

As far as your comment that defense stats are skewed by our ball control mindset. That might have some effect if comparing to other teams. I was comparing our team between 2021 and 2022. In fact, our offensive time of possession actually went down in 2022 compared to 2021 putting more pressure on defense to perform.

3 Likes

The transfers last year from Mercer and Holy Cross and from Southeastern Louisiana this year are not G5 transfers. They are promotions from FCS schools.

Thanks, You are correct. I knew that but my brain is a little slow this morning.

It is great to have good editors on this site.

1 Like

Like 650 pounds or so. How big the loss is depends on who we get to replace them. I would not say that our losses so far this year are worse than last season. It is just going to be a part of college football going forward, but I do think the Covid season that did not count against anyone’s eligibility has a big effect on all those guys leaving for their final season. Most of them probably are leaving with a Miami degree.

With all that can be said about the turmoil, drama and the lose/replace cycle of the portal……Miami is still a meddling 500 MAC program……

1 Like