Miami Basketball 22-23 Discussion

Lairy
Safford
Lewis
Williams
Harrison

6th Man: Mabrey

1 Like

It’s early, but tend to agree with this.

Guards: Have to think Lairy and Safford will get 30 minutes a night. The freshmen will fill in as backups, but hopefully one of them is a stud who plays a lot. Could see Williams and Lewis splitting time, so 20 minutes or so.

Forwards: Like the idea of Harrison and Anderson starting, but I think Etzler could see a lot of time coming off the bench as Anderson may only be able to go 15 minutes a night. No idea if we have any other serviceable bigs. I guess Kamari could see some time as a “forward” in a small lineup.

1 Like

No one has mentioned 6’8" Jaquel Morris as a front court starter/contributor yet.

4 Likes

Think that’s close, opponent dependent…may see Javin Etzler and Harrison or Rylee, as well in “froncourt.”

Anderson is probably 15 to 20 min per game, max I’m guessing.

Javin will play 3/4…seems like lots of options, it will be interesting seeing rotations…as have not even mentioned Morris yet.

Morris, Rylee and Mabrey are physically ready as frosh.

We are not big, but two 6-7 guys, Anderson we’ll call 295#, Harrison ~230#.

Morris and Rylee 6-8, ~220…plus big or tall guards/wings…so unless facing a bunch of 6-11 guys…we should be fine.

1 Like

Speaking of Morgan Safford, he was just on a Columbus basketball podcast last week. He talks about his high school days, his time at Wofford including their win at North Carolina, the transfer portal process and how he is using it as motivation. He also talks about his current daily routine at Miami and mentions that we have a big guy who can shoot the 3. Etzler maybe? Finally, he talks a lot about the skill of defense. Very interesting stuff.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4IHPiAX5htpqLz82mTNzZe?si=FHR8ArHbRYeCav7Rkm_Rag

3 Likes

Just watching the very brief video clips Miami Basketball’s account has put up, I think we might see more out of Etzler this year. Looks fully recovered from his knee injury and seems to be playing with a little more fire. If so, he could give us some quality minutes as a stretch 4. Would like to see him do more than just shoot threes though.

2 Likes

Big guy that can shoot three is Anderson (maybe Rylee…but think Anderson) I bet (he has not shown much at D1 level, but there is reel from JUCO/HS), Etzler is a wing/SF forward this year based on practice images, but will play some stretch 4.

Javin is working with the guards/wings in every position group…breakout.

2 Likes

Much as I love Anderson (The Man, the Myth), I’m not sure anyone is expecting him to be a starter. But he is apparently a good three point shooter, so Safford may be talking about him.

Agree…I think Anderson is a situational starter…depending on opponent, ~15-20 min per game.

If his game could translate to this vid, he can help: 2021 6'8 F Anderson Mirambeaux - Trinity Valley CC - YouTube

0:36 for his trey stroke.

PS - Sounds like Safford is here to bring it…chip on shoulder, but good head on shoulder as well. Tidbit, he played the “4” at Wofford…he’ll be a 2/3 @ Miami.

UC really going all in on recruiting.

Big fella in on the action…coach Rob that is!

2 Likes

I’ve not seen him play but I’d venture he’s still got skills

I would be shocked if Javin ends up playing the 3 this season. My guess is 4 or 5. I’d also be surprised if Mirambeaux is only a situational player.

That’s where Javin is practicing…the 3, so you should not be shocked…I think he’ll see time at both 3/4.

Re: Anderson, I said situational starter…
I expect him to play regardless, and as said if he can play like that Trinity reel, in the MAC, he will play a bunch.

Otherwise, he’s only averaged 5.5 minutes per game in D1, so we’ll have to see.

Care to put a friendly wager on Etzler and wether he spends more time at the 3 or the 5 (we both agree he’ll spend time at the 4)? Loser donates $50 to the basketball program in the other’s name?

1 Like

Here’s my starting eight.

PG - Lairy
SG - Safford
SF - Williams/Lewis
PF - Harrison/Etzler/Morris
C/F - Nutrisystem Mirambeaux?

2 Likes

Games are won at 6 AM. So I’ve been told.

2 Likes

You think attendance is bad now? Wait until we start games at 6:00 am!

:wink:

I would guess that over half of the season ticket holders have already been up for 2 hours by then! A 6am start would interfere with their lunch!

7 Likes

The Knolls of Oxford… we do more before 6:00 am than most people do all day!