Miami Basketball 22-23 Discussion

I don’t know what Coach Steele has planned for Etzler. But one thing to remember: When he was a sr in HS, he participated in the Ohio/Kentucky HS all-star game. Etzler participated in the three point shot competition. He shot himself into the finals where he hit 21 of 24 shots from 3 to win the competition. Anyone who doubts his ability to play the 3 should look for that video. Needless to say, a great outside shooter with size!. With the others we have at 4/5, I would play him at the 3 until he shows me he can no longer shoot from the perimeter. I don’t think that would happen.

In modern offenses teams try to have at least 4 guys who can hit shots from deep. He’s going to be playing on the perimeter whatever position he plays. The issue with him playing the 3 would be whether he has the quickness to be able to defend that position, especially after his injury issues.

3 Likes

Playing the 5 doesn’t mean he can’t be a perimeter player. A lot of modern offenses are moving towards having a center who can play out on the perimeter and stretch the defense. You give space for guys like Safford, Lewis, and Williams to drive to the basket without a rim defender. If that rim defender drops to help, it leaves Etzler wide open for a 3. But like @Quinoaburger said, after the ACL injury, does Etzler have the feet to cover a true 3? I would expect him to play on the perimeter and guard the 4 or 5.

1 Like

If, as you say and I agree, he will be playing on the perimeter as a 3 or 4, I much prefer my 4 to be a paint player first to rebound and score on misses. Steele has brought in several paint players in Morris, Rylee, Mirambeaux. He also has Harrison and Williams to spend time in the paint. That’s five players that I think would be 4/5. Etzler’s skill set just seems to me to be better suited to a 3/perimeter player who can play in post when necessary. By putting him in at the 4 which requires him to defend the post and rebound first, we end up with one designated rebounder/paint defender if he’s on the perimeter shooting 3’s.

I don’t think him being on the perimeter on offense impacts his ability to be a paint defender. At 208 he’s one of the stockier players on the team. I think he’s more than capable of being a post defender and rebounder. I don’t think having him defend a player like Julian Lewis is setting the team up for success. His lateral quickness just wasn’t there last season and he was picked apart when he played the 3 defensively.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel he can’t be a rebounder and post defender?

4 Likes

No, I’m not trading for your Rich Allendorf.

3 Likes

Digitalhawk - I don’t get it. Why did Twitter refer to pic as “sensitive content”?

1 Like

I have not had a chance to watch him play much–b/c he was hurt. So, I don’t know if he can be a rebounder and post defender. At his size, one would think so. But is this the best use of his talents? Again, a very small sample size so it’s tough to know. Don’t get me wrong. I want/we need post players. But, if his best attribute, besides his size, is shooting the ball, he should be used in that manner, regardless of his height. But if he is shooting from 3 but playing the 4, who defends the post or rebounds? One player or guards who can board? Can he switch down? I would think so.
His lateral movement was impacted by his injury. As someone noted the other day, he is finally not wearing a knee brace. Also, seems like many of the videos from practice show him shooting from the perimeter. Either as a 3,4 or whatever, he can help b/c he can shoot. And Steele seems to want players that can move, defend, and shoot. The 1-5 designation may not be as important to him.
Then again, what the hell do I know. Just enough to be dangerous.

1 Like

On offense he stands on the perimeter and shoots the 3. On defense he is down low guarding the post and rebounding.

3 Likes

No argument from me on that. I absolutely agree he should at 6’8" 200+.

Lot’s of stretch 4’s these days in both college and NBA that shoot 3 and defend down low.

2 Likes

Offensively I think he would be fine. I just doubt that he is quick enough to guard most of the 3’s that we play against. Did Coach Steele use any zone defenses at X?

1 Like

I should have read further down before I replied to Mighty MU as you have already posted what I wanted to say.

1 Like

They defend in the NBA?

Like you wouldn’t believe

3 Likes

We are (allegedly) have “secret scrimmages” with Robert Morris (Oct 15) and Morehead State (Oct 30)

6 Likes

If true, I like the order of the matchups. Start with one of the worst D1 teams last year, then a couple weeks later go against a good mid-major.

Unfortunately for us fans, that means no exhibition game, as you are allowed a total of 2 secret scrimmages and exhibition games. So far there has also been no mention of a public practice or intrasquad scrimmage.

There will be a public event. And the staff has been pretty receptive to letting fans attend practice if they ask

1 Like

Are we now up to 3 non division 1 games. That seemed to be what the schedule says