Miami at Notre Dame Week

Feels like we need a more experienced OC. We were running the ball fine in the redzone and we called a pass on 3 and throw a pick. Our redzone efficiency and scoring percentage in plus territory has been insanely bad

2 Likes

Agree with everyone who posts Brett does not look healthy. Seems like he can’t move.

And Offense play calling is awful, especially in the red zone.

If team struggles at home next Saturday we are in for a long season.

1 Like

Chuck’s adoration for ND is nauseating. He’s the head coach at Miami and should be proud to represent that. Listening to him speak you’d think we were lucky to even have our bus drive to through “holy” South Bend. It sends a poor message to the team and proud alums.

7 Likes

I seem to recall that the first offensive possession of every season opener in the first 5-6 years of Chuck’s tenure ended in one of three ways; a delay of game penalty, a called time out to avoid a delay of game penalty, or a false start. That hasn’t been the case over the last few years, but poor time management and extreme levels of disorganization still plague Miami’s offense. Football is a pretty emotional sport where momentum is everything. I don’t get why when the Miami offense is driving and has a defense on their heals we don’t continue to do what put us there in the first place, or why we don’t continue to press the defense in a quick and steady fashion. When your defense is faced with that, you often call a time out to curtail the momentum. In our case, Chuck calls the time out to curtail his own team’s momentum. I just don’t get it.

4 Likes

He’s probably just busy making bacon pancakes. I know I am!

Even in the post game he was saying how ND probably wasn’t motivated bc they were playing Miami and not even recruited by Miami. Honest yes, but it makes our school sound second class…I get it’s your dream to be back there but you are the Miami coach ugh

5 Likes

These guys saw the game a lot like most of us: Another missed Miami opportunity. Pete Sampson spent the bye week in Oxford with Chuck.

1 Like

One thing I noticed right before kickoff… after both teams ran onto the field, Chuck walked over to the visiting section, nodded for a couple seconds, gave a thumbs up for a few seconds, and continued nodding as he stood there, soaking it in as he looked up at the crowd. Maybe he’s done that before and I never noticed it at other games but he seemed to be legitimately appreciative/in awe of the Miami turnout.

4 Likes

Yeah , that was bad.

1 Like

Agreed. Can run the tabel out from here fo sure.

1 Like

Nah…that’s Matt Canada country…

We must go 6-3 the rest of the way for a 500 season. Tough task.

2 Likes

I think most thought we’d be - at worst - 1-2 going into the UMass game. And with the exception of Kent State and possibly an improving Akron - it appears everyone in the MAC is capable of beating anyone. You’re right. It might be a tough slog just to get to 6-6.

2 Likes

Posted this morning on The Athletic site.

2 Likes

In this day and age, when a QB opening appears and there is no obvious answer, the solution turns out to be a transfer who is blocked from getting a starting job at a P5.

1 Like

Actually the second season ( the real season) is about to begin.

Except at Nebraska, it seems.

An NIU poster on the MAC board made an excellent pregame observation. He said Miami will not have the same opportunity to move the ball and control the clock vs ND as NIU did because of matchups. He said ND’s major strength is their defensive secondary, all NFL prospects. They can be run on however, which NIU did.

Watching the game we kept commenting on how few times our receivers got any separation. Vs UC we often had guys wide open. Never happened Saturday. So I think that analysis was excellent.

4 Likes

Talking about our problems in getting our plays in quickly…I think we really like to see who subs in and what defensive formations we are up against before making the play call, more so than other teams.

Why do we run the play clock down so often… Chuck’s philosophy when playing any power conference team is too shorten the game. Fewer plays tends to lower the total points scored and keep us in the game longer. It avoids what happened to Purdue vs ND when they lost 66 to 7. He has often said that the way too pull the big upset is to stay in the game till the 4th quarter and then make some big plays to win the game. That is how we beat NW two years ago and how we beat UC last year. Basically we did stay in the game till the 4th quarter against both UC and NW this year, just did not make enough big plays down the stretch in both games.

You will notice that NIU defeated ND exactly that way, hanging in the game until late and then making all the big plays.

1 Like

Great article. We just haven’t taken advantage of any opportunities so far.

3 Likes