Miami at Notre Dame Week

Many coaches fall into this trap but it’s like buying a used car (someone else’s problem). I’d prefer the FCS route and get a kid that’s proven they can play, lead and win. Have seen many instances where coaches chase a P5 benchwarmer but high star out of HS (Boise, Tulane are 2 examples) and they never see the field but cost a lot in NIL$. Big risk vs a kid that has film and snaps.

The MAC seems deeper this year than excepted. Also, NW is not the joke of the BIG10 and UC destroyed Houston so they may be way better than last year’s UC in the Big12.
8-4 or 7-5 would be great rest of season run.
Hoping for 9-3 though and MACC and CFP spot!

1 Like

9-3 is extremely unlikely but possible. How do you figure we even have the slightest shot at a CFP spot at this point? We would have had to go 2-1 in our first three, and we lost them all.

Key word was “hope” and also “hoping for tons of losses” from AAC, MWC, etc. within their conferences.

2 Likes

I dont mind taking time off the play clock vs power 4s. I do mind blowing through all of our time outs because we are about to get a delay of game

6 Likes

Yeah,

That usually happens on big plays. like a 3rd and 7 on their 35. We just seem to wait too long to see what the defense is doing and get the play in too late, or Brett gets the play but then he sees something and try to change the play and it is too late. They are reluctant to snap the ball on a big play if they think they have the wrong play in, so Time out. Most other teams just go ahead and run the play given. I would really like Chuck to address this in a press conference and explain why he thinks it is better to call a TO than run what they think is the wrong play. Maybe it is smart football. Maybe it is just an example of poor organization or too long of a chain of command before the call gets in.

2 Likes

I,personably, would eliminate the possibility of smart football and go with the other two. Somebody could easily change my mind if they could show me that a high percentage of the time the after timeout play call we had success.

3 Likes

It did not work on that third down play Saturday, but how about the 50 yard run by Aveon late in the MACC.

2 Likes

That was the time Aveon talked Chuck into the play call, right? I don’t remember that as a desperation time out, but it probably was. It’s probably just me, but I’m into the don’t overthink it method of coaching. Know what you can do and do it

2 Likes

Another Miami-related ND article.