Miami at Notre Dame Week

I love what Brett has done for this program, I love his courage. I would personally give him the first half of the next game and then if needed make a change. An immobile qb better be six foot five and strong.

5 Likes

Umass is horrible if we lose we might go 0-12

1 Like

James Madison hung 70 on NC today. We have 2 TDs in three games.

1 Like

He probably can’t plant right on his leg

1 Like

All that metal is weighing him down

1 Like

I think that I concur.

Three games in I’m not sure we have a defined offensive identity. We don’t seem to do any one phase particularly well. There was more of a running game today but no identifiable workhorse like last year. Our passing games seems a bit hit or miss.

But I thknk we’re the equivalent of about a 4-8 or 5-7 P4 team.

1 Like

Well that was a weird game. ND fans were ready to crap themselves when it was 3-0 and the minutes kept ticking off the clock in the second quarter. They booed Leonard at least 3 (maybe 4) times in the first half. I’m still not sure why people ever claimed Leonard to be an elite QB.

Brett still looks like a shell of himself, which isn’t his fault. His throws just don’t seem to have the same power behind them. I feel like that game was winnable and yet the best we have to show for it is beating the spread.

During the 4th quarter, I thought “two weeks ago, some NIU fan was sitting in this seat and experiencing college football nirvana. That must have been nice.”

6 Likes

We will beat UMass.

Our receivers did make a number of good catches early when we should have gone up by a TD or two (and then would have had a realistic chance of an upset). Our running backs (and O line) did a better job today. Mozee was good when out in space.

Coaching and play calling in the red zone were pretty atrocious… not sure what it is in the Chuck Martin system that makes us burn time outs and have helter skelter snaps as the time clock runs out. This confusion also resulted in a couple critical false starts.

And as those that followed our thread early know from my previous posts, I hate the fade route and consider it a low percentage play. We did it twice when close to the goal line…I wanted to tear my hair out! We were finally running the ball we’ll and should have tried a running play at 3rd and 2.

Lastly, as for the rest of the season, if we can move the ball against ND anywhere near what we did in the first quarter, we can still win most of our MAC games. Are we an elite MAC team? No.
But I think we are good enough to go at least 6-3 and maybe 7-2 in MAC play and scrape into a bowl game.

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, Gabbert is around 60% completion, 3-1 TD/INT for his career, and threw for 339 against UC last week.

I understand that message boards are quick to throw the QB under the bus, but geesh, I’m glad to have him under center.

3 Likes

We love winning championships. I think I can speak for most that we just want to win more OOC games. The ooc games are huge for recruiting and program building…what can we do differently? Will NIL collective help?

1 Like

Just not sure we are playing as smart as we can. Across the board.

1 Like

Maybe Ballcoach has a theory as to why we can’t get a play called in time for an orderly snap. Was Gabbert changing the calls too late, or was he being signaled to do so by the sideline?

A couple of times he appeared to try to change the play w 6-7 seconds left on the play clock, and then quickly tried to get the players set and we had a false start. Complexity is one of the causes of these false starts. What is the reason we do this again and again in critical situations?

2 Likes
  1. Credit to Chuck. Looked like he coached his butt off. I hope he gets that ND job one day he so desperately wants.
  2. Why does it consistently take us 34 seconds to snap the ball?
  3. ND is over rated. I don’t think they’ll finish in the top 25.
  4. 14-35 with 2 INTs is not great. His passing efficiency for the first 2 games is less than 6 other MAC QBs (NIU, Toledo, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, and OU). And once this week’s stats are in, it will be even lower.
  5. This game could have been closer. We had the momentum early and opportunities we did not capitalize on. Last year’s team may have had a shot against this ND team.
  6. I want to see what Koop can do.
1 Like

Sorry, you lost me at “credit to Chuck”.

6 Likes

At least Chuck seemed disappointed during his press conference. There was no mention of “What a great day for Miami” or anything similar to what we heard after the 2017 blowout.

6 Likes

After three games we’re averaging 8.3 points per game. That’s deep in Brian Ferentz territory.

3 Likes

We have had trouble getting plays off for almost all of Chuck’s tenure…it seems to especially “bite us” when in the red zone. Then, when confusion reigns as Brett desperately tries to get the play off we often tend to take a drive killing false start. Why is that?

2 Likes

Last season one of our ESPN commentators noted we averaged the most time between plays in FBS at that point, Chuck told him that week it was about finding the perfect play more than clock management. Imo that tells me him and the staff have a culture of overthinking everything, and we see it on defense too when we aren’t set in time and have already been burned for big plays in response.

4 Likes

Maybe CM talking in headset too long and to close to the cutoff? Leaving Brett little time to make a change. The receivers all know the play calls and formations at this point there is no issue with that.

1 Like