Miami at Ball State Tuesday at 7 on ESPN3

I am going to this game. I was going to the women’s game at BSU tonight as well, but it has been snowing all day in New Bremen and we had 3 inches yesterday, so I will wait until the roads are cleared tomorrow. Ball State is 7-10 ( 2-4). Miami is 9-8 ( 3-3). Ball State’s recent schedule was a loss at Akron by 10, a home loss to Buffalo by 6, and a loss at Toledo by 13. Saturday’s game with Central Michigan was postponed. This did not figure to be an easy year for Head Coach James Whitford. His top 3 scorers from last season all hit the transfer portal. His top assistant coach Jason Grunkemeyer quit to take a High school coaching position. They are usually in every game and it will likely be a tight MAC struggle.

Here are the 5 guys who have been stating most of the year:
6-1 soph Luke Bumbalough 12.5pg/3.5 as, shoots over 7 threes per game
6-2 soph Tyler Cochrane 12.2ppg/5.7rb, transfer from Northern Illinois
6-9 fr Payton Sparks 12.1ppg/7.5rb From nearby Winchester, seems like the type of big man we have been unable to recruit
6-8 RS Jr Myren Thomas 9.8ppg shoots 4.5 threes per game
6-2 Jr Demarius Jacobs 7.2ppg/ 2.7 as

We have played well in Muncie over the years, and this is the type of game we need to win if we want to be anything better than a .500 team. We lost a similar matchup to BG in OT. I think finishing as high as 4th is still a reasonable expectation for this team, but have to win a game like this to do that.

2 Likes

Unwilling, from what I’ve been told.

1 Like

Could you expand on that comment?

We offered and took Harrison in that class. Please do tell how offering him is unwilling to recruit. I know everyone wishes we had unlimited scholarships, but that’s not how the rules work (unless you’re a service academy).

1 Like

I think we prioritized Harrison over Sparks. Sparks loved Miami and Oxford and we were lukewarm on him, at best.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Fwiw, our NET ranking has plummeted lately, and currently sits at 199. BSU is 276. And just to annoy Skins, I’ll throw in that ESPN’s BPI predictor says we have a 57.4% chance to win this game.

1 Like

199 net is terrible for this veteran team

1 Like

Yes, it is. We were in the mid-100s, but recent losses and wins over bad teams have significantly dropped it.

2 Likes

Miami favored by 2. This is certainly a winnable road game, but we need to play better than we have been.

Looks like a pretty serious injury to Dalonte in the first minute of play. That was an ugly turned ankle.

1 Like

Down by two at the under 12. Really going deep into the bench now without Brown.

We look real bad, what happened to the ball movement and good shots we saw in the first few games?

Following gamecast, looks like just about everyone has been in.

I hope the rumors about Sparks wanted come to Miami werent true. Impressive looking freshman

Miami already with 11 threes. Made 3. So lazy.

Which I’m sure is one reason why Ball State only has one foul 13 minutes into the game.

1 Like

I miss the disciplined offensive execution of Nike

1 Like

I know Brown is out, but wow we’re bad. When’s the last time we covered a spread?

3-13 from three. Keep firing men, it’s gotta turn soon!

2 Likes