MAC Tournament Watch

Sadly, it’s got all the drama of Police Academy 14. Which I think might have been titled “Citizens on Patrol.”

1 Like

Every single result ended up going in our favor (except for the game we actually played in).

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, here’s where everything stands with 1 week to go. Every team has 2 games left.

1. Toledo 15-3. They control their own destiny to finish #1. A win and a Kent loss clinches #1. Obviously, 2 wins gets them #1 as well.

2. Kent 14-4. Kent and OU split, but Kent swept Toledo so they have the tiebreaker over OU.

3. OU 14-4. The Bobcats can finish anywhere from 1 to 4. OU needs to win out and Toledo and Kent to lose in order to move up. OU would lose a 3-way tiebreaker with Kent and Toledo.

4. Buffalo 13-4. Buffalo will end up with 1 fewer game played. They can finish anywhere from 1 to 5. They finish with Toledo and Kent. If they win out, Toledo loses out, and Kent and OU split their last 2, they’ll finish #1.

5. Akron 12-6. If I have this right, Akron is stuck in the 4/5 game. Even if they win out, 14-6 would still leave them behind Toledo and Kent no matter what. If Akron and OU are tied, since they split, they go to the who did you beat tiebreaker and OU has the edge with their win over Kent (both teams didn’t lose to Buffalo)

6. Ball St. 8-9. Ball St. can’t go any higher. If they lose out and Central wins out, they drop to 7. Their win today clinched their spot in the top 8.

7. Central 6-10. They’ll finish with 2 fewer games played. If they win 1 of their last 2, they clinch a spot in the top 8. They finish 6th if they win out and Ball St. loses out. They drop to 8th if they split and Miami wins out. If they lose out, they drop out of the top 8 if any one of the other 5-13 teams wins out (Miami would be at least 7-13 by default).

8. Miami 6-12. If Miami wins out, they finish 7th. Otherwise, it’s a battle for 8th. Miami has the head-to-head with BG because of their win over Buffalo. However, that’s in danger if BG wins either of their last 2 against OU or Toledo. If Miami beats Eastern, that knocks Eastern and NIU out, but doesn’t assure Miami of a spot. Miami would still need either a Central loss, a BG loss, or Buffalo to finish ahead of OU and Toledo. If Miami beats Central, but loses to Eastern, that opens the door to more negative scenarios, especially if Eastern wins out. Miami would finish 3rd in a 3-way tie with BG and Eastern. Miami would finish 2nd in a 3-way tie with Eastern and NIU, so they would need another Central loss. Miami would finish 1st (in) or 2nd (Central and Eastern would have had to lose their other game) in a 3-way tie with BG and NIU (it would depend on the Buffalo/Toledo/OU order). Miami (3-3) would finish 3rd in a 4-way tiebreaker with BG (4-2), Eastern (3-2), and NIU (1-5). Miami can’t make the top 8 if they lose both games.

9. BG 5-13. BG has head-to-head tiebreakers over Eastern and NIU. BG (3-1) has the 3-way tiebreaker with Eastern (1-2) and NIU (1-3). See above for all of the Miami scenarios.

10. Eastern 5-13. Eastern loses head-to-head tiebreakers with BG (lost to them) and NIU (split, but NIU beat Kent and Akron). If Eastern wins out, they either need a Central loss, a BG loss, or a NIU loss. If Eastern splits with a win at Miami, they need BG and NIU to lose out. Eastern can’t make the top 8 with a loss at Miami, even if they beat Western.

11. NIU 5-13. The only thing NIU has going for it is they have head-to-head over Eastern because of their wins over Kent and Akron. So for NIU to make the top 8, they must win out, whoever loses the Miami/Central game loses their next game as well, and BG must lose 1 of their last 2.

12. Western 3-15 is eliminated.

I’ve probably made some mistakes but I think this is how it looks.

4 Likes

C…a…n…t…be…li…eve, you spent that much time on that.

:wink:

2 Likes

Impressive effort by mz. Thanks for doing that. Beating Central on the road does not look easy. They only lost by 2 to Kent. Healy, their best 3 point shooter, was the only guy we slowed down when we played them, had 32 last night. I guess we will see just how bad our guys want it because it is going to take a big effort Tuesday night.

1 Like

Make it Cleveland than get beat in the 1st game

1 Like

It’s a Miami tradition, like the #13!

According to a poster on the MAC board, the MAC has come up with a very unusual tiebreaker rule. It would apply to us and CMU. Also Buffalo and anybody they are close to. If we beat CMU and end up 7-13 and Central ends up 6-12, that would be considered a tie. Since we would have split with Central, you would then see who had the best win ( starting with the #1 seed and working down until the tie is broken). In every sport I have ever followed, winning percentage determines positioning, but evidently not in the MAC this year.

Leave it to the MAC to screw this up. I believe CMU has beaten Kent, so their .333 could be better than our .350? Granted, neither team has had a good season, but why should Miami be penalized for Central not playing all their games?

Owens needs to go basketball program will never recover if he doesn’t

1 Like

The irony, Miami will not get the ultimate moral victory, it will go to the Chips…seems appropriate.

1 Like

Actually I have no idea what’s going to happen given the CMU situation. Many scenarios to consider and I don’t feel like putting in the effort to try to figure it out.

1 Like

I believe Miami will go to Cleveland even if we lose to EMU IF BG loses to Toledo. Let’s just clinch by beating EMU

I believe this is correct.

With 1 game left, here’s where we’re at (still going by winning percentage). Again barring mistakes.

1. Toledo 16-3. #1 with a win or Kent loss. #2 with a loss and a Kent win.

2. Kent 15-4. #1 with a win and Toledo loss. #2 with a loss or Toledo win.

3. OU 14-5. #3 with a win or Buffalo loss. #4 with a loss and Buffalo win.

4. Buffalo 13-5. #3 with a win and OU loss. #4 with a win or Akron loss. #5 with a loss and Akron win.

5. Akron 13-6. #4 with a win and Buffalo loss. #5 with a loss or Buffalo win.

6. Ball St. 8-10

7. Miami 7-12. #7 with a win OR Central loss and BG loss OR Central loss and Buffalo win and OU loss. #8 with a loss and Central loss and BG win AND Buffalo loss or OU win OR Central win and BG win and Buffalo win and OU loss. Eliminated with a loss and Central win and BG win AND Buffalo loss or OU win.

8. Central 6-11. #7 with a win and Miami loss. #8 with a win or BG loss. Eliminated with a loss and BG win.

9. BG 6-13. #7 with a win and Miami loss and Central loss AND Buffalo loss or OU win. #8 with a win and Central loss OR a Central win and a Miami loss AND a Buffalo loss or OU win. Eliminated with a loss OR a Miami win and Central win OR a Central win and a Miami loss and a Buffalo win and an OU loss.

Eastern, NIU and Western are eliminated.

1 Like

I have no choice but to trust you on this, mz.

2 Likes

Come on 8-12!!!..you can do it.

1 Like

Your .500 prediction turned out to be optimistic. I hate this.

1 Like

Yup…wish 500 was a low bar…Jack can barely reach it (Miami Bball, on track).

1 Like

If the covid tiebreaker rule is used ( the MAC board seems to think it will be used) we are 7-12, CMU is 6-11 and tied with us. The first tiebreaker is who is the best team you have beaten. They beat Kent, we beat Buffalo, so Central has the tiebreaker and they are currently #7 and we are currently #8. If we both win Friday, or if we both lose Friday, Central would still have the tiebreaker. They play at Akron, we play home to Eastern. BG is a game behind both Miami and Central, but if both of us lose and BG wins at home vs #1 Toledo on Friday, they will be tied and own the tiebreaker. In that case, BG would be #7, CMU #8, and Miami #9 and out. That is our worst case scenario. We can still finish 7,8, or 9. We get 7 with a win and a Central loss.

1 Like