MAC Tournament Watch

Yes, it matters. There have been quite a few #1 seeds who lost the quarterfinal game in Cleveland, and I remember us beating both #1 Bowling Green and #1 Central Michigan. Making it to Cleveland is a goal to achieve, and every college player wants a chance to get to the NCAA. It is also something to build on for next season, and just getting the tournament experience is helpful and a motivator for the next year. The people who say they don’t care or it is meaningless are clueless in my mind. I really hate a defeatist give up woe is me attitude.

6 Likes

To clarify- I do think it matters. Just don’t see is beating anyone up there. Stranger things have happened…

I want OU. So what if we lose? We always lose. BUT we can end all this at-large nonsense if they go down in the quarters. Jason Preston still sucks.

2 Likes

I want to win every game we play. I think 10-10 in the league is better than 9-11. I think winning one conference tournament game is better than winning none.

But I think it has been a long time (if ever) for a MAC 7 seed or worse to win the tournament

I feel like OU won it all as a 7 seed not long ago, but I could be wrong.

Just checked - in 2010 Ohio won as the 9 seed. The next worst was 6th seed twice since 1980

Maybe the 9 seed was what I was thinking. Wow, that was 12 years ago?

Would love to see this team rally and finish 500…their high water mark…in this case it would actually show that Jack maybe figured something out, finally.

That said…I think we are just losers at this point…and March is not something Miami participates in…however, as Sack said, it would be nice to go on a MAC tourney wrecking ball and then of course lose in the finals…

Where would that get us 19-16? At least momentum for next year’s disappointment, LOL.

Seriously will Miami bball ever be back…someone give a prediction on the year?

Dick there’s no defeatist attitude at this point…15 years of nothing…and here we sit 12-15 (err 9 and 15), come on…there’s no “woe as me” either…it’s just become acceptance that Miami is not in it to win it and 500 is the best we can produce.

I’ve never seen a flatline in a legitimate basketball program (arguably the previously most decorated in the MAC) like this anywhere… Temple or St. Johns maybe good parallels (but even these teams have had moments recently), it’s beyond perplexing, I can only look towards coaching for the explanation now.

Everyone would like a run, but at what point does Miami actually field a legit MAC contender?

2 Likes

Being a Miami basketball fan is discouraging. Our average seed is 9.6 over the last decade. We have not finished in the top HALF of the league one single time, something that will likely continue this year.
This year was supposed to be a peak year. Instead, we find ourselves fighting to get into our conference tournament. Outside of the 1-2 exciting wins each season, being a Miami basketball fan isn’t fun anymore, especially if this is a peak year.

3 Likes

Miami is the Pittsburgh Pirates of NCAA BB

1 Like

I feel like we are the Reds. But these days, the two teams seem interchangeable. Wish we were more like the Reds and Pirates of the 70’s.

1 Like

The Reds actually try to spend a little bit of money….

1 Like

Maybe so. Hard to tell sometimes

Well currently Miami appears to be throwing $$$ away…500K a year for ~12 wins (ironically our average win total over last 117 years - but the schedule used to be maybe 12 games, LOL for the first 30 years)

1 Like

6-11 now.

Yikes

Win % plummeting like Lucid stock.

8 and 12 is best we can muster…if that.

Sadly 8 and 12 might make tourney…which fits nicely in Jack O’s extension language.

Unreal…what has become of MAC and all time win %…joke David Sayler…a freaking joke!

So off to Toledo slaughter…then Chippewa 2…can’t wait for that excuse…then Stan the man Heath coming in for the potential sweep.

2 and 1 or 1 and 2?

(1) Toledo: 15-3
(2) Ohio: 14-4
(3) Kent: 14-4
(4) Buffalo: 13-4
(5) Akron: 12-6
(6) Ball State: 8-9 (remaining games Akron @ WMU)
(7) CMU: 6-10 AWAY (remaining games; Miami @ Akron)
(8) MIAMI: 6-12

(9) BG: 5-13 (remaining games Ohio @ Toledo)
(10) EMU: 5-13 HOME (remaining games WMU @ Miami)
(11) NIU: 5-13 (remaining games Kent, Ohio)
(12) WMU: 3-15

Seems like it’ll come down to Miami and EMU in the final game for the last tournament spot.

1 Like

Kent currently behind CMU in close one…

1 Like