Ivan Pace and Lonnie Phelps to Transfer

Miami’s players today don’t hate our rivals the way they did back in the day. Can you imagine if we had a QB transfer to our biggest in conference rival 20 years ago?! Never would’ve happened.

Yeah, that’s a bit misleading…where the stockpile of talent is so high in the upper 30 to 50 that I bet more than 10 players are in portal on each team…looking for opportunities among their peers or elsewhere, given their position backlogged…anyway, average is an average and your numbers add up.

Better metric is how we compare to top MAC peers, though.

NiU,
Kent,
Ball St had very little, 2 or less…

WMU and CMU same or more than us…So I agree …looks like our big picture is not that high considering only losing two proven players…

In this new age of CFB, G5 coaches are going to need to rebuild with spare parts and duct tape every season. They simply need to accept the fact that if they recruit top talent and develop it adequately, they’re going to lose it immediately. It’s all transactional and transitional now. Its going to be hired guns and mercenaries. Many players no longer play for their universities. They play for themselves and their agents.

2 Likes

Its not just G5. Oklahoma has lost 2 very accomplished qbs and a head coach

That always happens when coaching changes occur, Redsea. Now it’s much easier to either follow a coach, escape an incoming coach or dodge a previous commitment without any penalty.

The best P5 portal transfers are looking to either move up or move laterally. The best aren’t moving down to G5. The best G5 are looking to move up to P5. Anyone who thinks G5 wins in this environment probably still believes in trickle-down economics.

1 Like

College football allowed transfers for as long as I can remember. This isn’t new. Allowing players to not have to sit out a year and creating a website to make it easier for players to find a new school to play for is all that’s new. Sure, we’re going to lose guys (Pace, Phelps). But we’ll also get guys (Mac, Rugumba). And some will stay (Jack, Doyle). The game is the game.

It’ll be a negative on the field but I think it reflects well on the program that the staff can take a 2-star and develop him into a player that is wanted by a CFP team. That’s a pretty good talking point to a recruit.

1 Like

See Hawk, Ryan.

2 Likes

I absolutely adore this post

Between the new world of “THE Portal” and NIL we’ll all have to get used to it but that doesn’t mean we have to like it.

Or…will ever stop bitchin’ about it!

Maybe I’ll just give up on most of them.

With P5 schools looking to steal our talent and crush us and suck up every football dollar in the universe for their already swollen coffers I’m not much on college football these days. Maybe I’ll recover. Hardly watched any bowl games but ours (Yea!) Live in Columbus and not giant OSU fan but watched a great game but that was it. They won and that’s nice but no biggie in my book. Kind of look at P 5’s now as a AAA level baseball team. If I really want to watch the good teams (besides the Hawks that is!) I don’t go to any Clippers (CBus AAA team) games thought it’s a great stadium and decent enough team. I’d just as soon watch the Bengals.

1 Like

It definitely sucks for Miami. The issue I run into is that I believe the players should have these opportunities. I’m all for whatever is best for the players.

On another note, you might not be watching the bowl games but a lot of other people are tuning in. Miami’s last minute bowl game had 1.5 million people watching. The NHL’s winter classic only had 1.4…which ties the record for largest cable audience for a regular season NHL game ever.

3 Likes

Guess I hadn’t seen the Miami tv numbers. That’s fabulous for two fairly average teams. Good for us!

Not sure about the rest of the major and minor bowls. There’s a lot of stories floating around about how some of the larger ones now have been marginalized by the Playoffs and their status has gone way down.

Maybe bit of the “big time college football getting too big” thing going on.

Here in Columbus there’s a sense of major let down because the might Buckeyes didn’t get to their rightful place in the playoffs this year and “only” get to go to the Rose Bowl.

1 Like

Mom’s excited…

In a comments section on one of the sites I saw a couple of Bearcat fans gloating that they had poached him from Miami. Screw the stinkin’ Bearcats!

1 Like

Our back-up punter Conner Maynard has entered the portal. He’s from the Lake Norman area in NC. Dad is former NFL punter Brad Maynard. Miami was apparently his only FBS offer - as a PWO. I wonder if he took any of our supply of Dr Pepper with him.

He’s already committed to App State…

Best of luck to Conner.

1 Like

I think the portal may actually help us (relative to our peers) in the short term. Since we’ve had a ton of coaching consistency, we’ve been able to be ahead of the curve and proactively recruit guys who want to be here. We’re not scrounging around at the last minute looking for guys for marriages of convenience/necessity, which is a problem our basketball team had in the late days of Cooper and the early days of Owens. We’ve only lost three key contributors (two of which had special circumstances) to the portal since its creation, which is significantly better than most other G5 programs. If we can keep some modicum of roster consistency while our opponents get picked over, that could give us an edge over the next couple years.

1 Like

Just read that Dominic Collado has enrolled at Illinois State, citing the desire for more playing time during his last two years as the reason for entering the portal. He had been recruited heavily by ISU out of high school and he said the Redbird coaching staff re-contacted him 30 minutes after announcing his intent to transfer. He was told he’ll be on scholarship by the fall semester. This is a good news portal story, as he was apparently convinced he wouldn’t see the field much if he remained in Oxford. Best of luck to Dominic at Illinois State!

3 Likes

He’s a good guy, very big Miami fan too. Totally understand him knowing he may not get PT here and wanting to go elsewhere knowing he will be a starter.

2 Likes

There is a ton of FCS interest in Mekhi Miller - offers from Eastern Kentucky, North Dakota, Eastern Illinois, North Alabama and Tennessee Martin. He’s got one FBS offer so far - from New Mexico State. Looks like he’ll land somewhere with three years of eligibility left.

1 Like

https://deceptivespeed.com/transfer-portal-quarterbacks-2022/

Check this out. There have been 94 FBS QB in the portal this season - all eligible to play immediately. About 54 of them are yet unplaced. Our own Alex Bornhorst is in the portal as a grad transfer. His brother is a stud QB in Georgia who just played his senior year of high school. This is quite amazing!

Jackson Schott transferred to Indiana as a PWO. His brother James committed to Michigan State the day before that.

Looks like most of our outbounds are landing somewhere. That probably speaks well of the type of talent we’re recruiting and the depth we’re building.

1 Like