Ivan Pace and Lonnie Phelps to Transfer

I think you mean Phelps, as noted above…

Another player has entered Mekhi Miller…so we have 8 kids in Portal (counting Pace), one grad transfer and maybe four that would be headed down in play?..but a couple moving up or laterally…not great, pretty high number I think?

Yep. My bad. A brain fart back to my Sonics fandom days. Didn’t Miller play some this year? I think I remember seeing his name in the two deep.

When you say this, are you referring to the Fansided opinion article that says Texas “should” be getting in contact with Phelps? Or is there a tweet or something suggesting Texas coaches have contacted him showing interest?

2 Likes

I’m showing Buffalo with 11, NIU with 6, Ohio with 7, Toledo with 8, WMU with 5. So maybe about average

1 Like

Wonder if nay starters are coming off these other MAC teams…surely some are in two-deep?

The fan sided article originally but I think I also read another article where Lonnie was interviewed about the Kansas offer but also mentioned interest from Texas and I believe Baylor. If I remember correctly he told them he planned to go on some visits after the quiet period ends and wants to jump back onto a campus ASAP. I also saw a Florida fan site that suggests the Gators ought to be interested, too.

1 Like

Pace has his offer from UC. Also offers from LSU and Miami of Florida.

There’s over 1,300 FBS players in the portal from 130 teams. So 8 would be a little below average.

There are obviously a lot of marginal players in the portal who won’t get placed. Looking at the MAC, I’m interested in the quality of the guys leaving our teams through the portal. It looks like the best transfers are Miami’s two guys - Pace and Phelps, Mumford, the stud freshman from Akron, Gibson, the Zips’s QB and Ducker, the RB from NIU.

I also see that Jacob Sirmon, the CMU transfer QB from Washington who Daniel Richardson beat out mid-season has transferred again - this time down to Northern Colorado. I think he can play immediately when dropping down.

Akron QB Zach Gibson has committed to Georgia Tech through the portal.

Pace officially commits to UC.

That means he’s going to be trying to pound Brett for two or three more years. I don’t begrudge a kid transferring but transferring for one of our primary rivals is a transgression in my opinion. It’s like when one William Holmes McGuffey took the top job at UC and then urged parents not to send their kids to Miami and actually lobbied the Ohio GA to try to close us. It’s like Sid Gilman taking the head coaching job at UC. Or Pat Narduzzi leaving Miami for the Bearcats after Ben turned pro. Ivan had a tendency to play out of control. Maybe we’re better off without him. No longer a fan.

It is what it is. A chance to play to play with his brother, which I get. Also, today players just don’t view UC in the same light as they did 20, 30+ years ago. They’re going to go where they think is best for them, regardless of where that may be

1 Like

Could that difference in how we view them have anything to do with why we never beat them anymore. If so, I think it’s time to stop playing them. It used to be 40 miles of hate.

1 Like

Good for him, and also I hope we kick his ass the next few seasons.

2 Likes

His brother was little boy who ripped off the Alabama players helmet after the play

didn’t Ivan do the same thing in our Kent State overtime loss :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m focusing on and looking forward for our lb corp. First, the return of Ryan McWood, who will, if healthy, be an all-conference LB. Might remember him with the great int by reaching one way while running the other, tip the ball where he could catch it. Great play that lead to a W.Plus, we signed the two 1st team Div 1 all-state lbs and a 2nd team lb. The addition of Ty Wise will benefit us. Plus, TFr Nardone was 2nd on team in tackles in bowl game.TFr Rogers played early then was hurt. Hondru was a highly rated lb from Pa, another Fr. Others will show up They always do.
And I’m not happy about Pace, but I understand. Just too bad we have to play him. Then again, we can make it bad for him to play us.

1 Like

The same guy who after a tackle, punched, or tried to punch, the Ala player in the balls. Got penalty but not ejected. I thought a punch was automatic ejection.

IIRC, He threw a KSU guys helmet.