Indiana game thread

Trying to be patient and hoping that all of our supposed shooters will eventually start to hit their shots. When will that happen?

1 Like

I love Greek food so Iā€™m fine lol.

1 Like

When we arenā€™t playing one of the top 10 teams in the country.

3 Likes

Did not hit them vs Marshall eitherā€¦but yeah. Hard to judge without Mo, Kamari etcā€¦frosh are struggling a bit, Lewis maybe not a pure shooter (12 to 14 is his games, which is great)ā€¦so we need 20 from Mehki each night to be competitive.

Oh yeah, this is a difficult decision for any coach. We need him to create but not to over penetrate. If he doesnā€™t get smarter on the floor he will have to get smarter on the bench. I am pretty confident this has been a topic of discussion between coach and player. Interesting to watch it play out.

1 Like

I would love to bench him, but we do not have another true point guard on the roster. We also do not have a single real power forward on the roster. Roster construction makes this a difficult team to coach.

3 Likes

If he continues to make it difficult to run our offense and thus difficult to win we may have to play with a ā€œfalse ā€œ point guard. Today would have been a perfect message game. 30-40 points whatā€™s the difference if it gets a message across.

They kept saying we had 5 guys out. So looking through the roster, the only guy who has been healthy and did not play was Jackson Kenyon, so I guess we can conclude that he has joined the dl list.

In other MAC action, OU loses to #20 Michigan 70-66 in OT.

1 Like

looks like Dwight Wilson is backā€¦and OU guards can play D.

Seemed like the longest 2.5 secs @ endā€¦OU had chance prior to win in itā€¦they look like a confident well coached team as usualā€¦

Miami is going to be very challenged in the frontcourt, unless Steele starts working Rylee inā€¦might as well get him some minutes in these routes to see if it pays offā€¦as we have no scoring from BF/PF after Mirambeaux goes out. Otherwise, Morris has to start working on his ā€œgarbage manā€ game and clean up the glass (put back, dunks, etc.).

Anywayā€¦are these all part of the ā€œHoosier Classicā€?

Need to start bringing some more offense, hopefully each game the frosh take a stepā€¦

1 Like

Morrisā€™ offensive game is definitely a work in progress. Right now, it is pretty nonexistent. I do like his energy though.

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t able to watch this game but looking at the box, I think we improved from the last game? Even if only by a little?

1 Like

Maybe a couple guys took some minor steps forwards (Lewis, maybe a bit more than others)ā€¦but a game like this will not be even close unless you are shooting 45+%, which well, we did notā€¦Anderson missed about three layupsā€¦there were a handful of open treys that did not go down as wellā€¦but our guys really canā€™t find the shooters on D and get lostā€¦then we are very limited on the offensive boards when Morris is outā€¦he (Morris) did a bit better in the flow of the game overall.

Mehki is still struggling a bit with his roleā€¦Iā€™m impressed with Billy Sā€™s ball handling, itā€™s becoming more confident, Mabrey hit a couple shotsā€¦Tatum looked a bit better, but not much else to reportā€¦as I just watched replay.

3 Likes

Thanks much for the insights. One of the great things about this board is the knowledge I can get from others who know specific sports in great detail. Thereā€™s a level of depth that average fans like me miss when I watch. Also partly because my tv is always getting hijacked by Scooby Doo for my son. They did play The Globetrotters in a recent episode we saw so thereā€™s thatā€¦

1 Like

Shooter- wasnā€™t sure I saw Kamari at the game. Was he:
Excused?
Prohibited?
There?

Just to add more to Skins. Lairy pretty much was making the same mistakes this game that Steele talked about in the presser this week-dribbling to deep into the trees. And he was dribbling away to much of the shot clock. One time he passes to Billy Smith with 2 seconds left on the shot clock and then yelled at Smith for not shooting before the buzzer went off. We have virtually no post game other than occasionally from Anderson, and he missed some bunnies, but IU is damn big and damn good inside. Billy Smith might be our most consistent player all year so far. As I said above, I like Morrisā€™ energy and athletic ability, hits the glass, but he has zero offensive game other than putbacks. In the offseason that is something to work on along with building up his body.

4 Likes

I think the Indiana State game is the second game of a home and home contract; we lost a close game there last year. Jackson State and Arkansas Little Rock are part of the tournament.

2 Likes

Great insights!

Kamari was on the bench. The one I didnā€™t see was Harrison. Not sure if he was ill or something else.

1 Like

Thanks! We were up so high it was hard to see much if it wasnā€™t on the Jumbotron.