Game Week Northwestern

Miami 35-31.

Northwestern 31 Miami 20. We are better than SIU just not picking the right week

1 Like

Northwestern 28 Miami 10. The saga of mismanagement continues.

1 Like

20-17 Northwestern.

1 Like

This is depressing…

The Vegas line has grown from -6.5 to -7.5 today. Similar sentiment out there. Let’s face it - none of us believed coming into this year that we’d be sitting here doubting Miami’s ability to take out a 1-2 Northwestern team. Only a W can bring a silver lining.

3 Likes

As many have already said, chuck needs to overcome loss of his starting QB (caused by himself) and put Smith in a position to succeed. This is an imminently winnable game. The fact that we are 7 point dogs means nothing except that we are terrible OOC. CM needs to win this one or stay in Chicago.

No confidence in coaching staff. We take early lead then play conservatively and lose.

Miami 14
Northwestern 21

If Miami comes out and get a large early led in the 1st half then I would expect NW to win 24-17, due to the known many reasons of Miami having a lead.
If Miami has to play from behind with the score close then Miami pulls out a win 21-17.

Miami 27 Northwestern 23

1 Like

IMO the worst thing to happen for Miami last weekend was for Northwestern to lose to SIU. That makes Northwestern a desperate football team this week that is well coached and will come out fired up.

I like this Miami team, but we’re going to have to stay in the game and not get down by a couple of scores early. I believe if we can do that and the game is tight at halftime, we’ll have a chance to win late.

2 Likes

That’s more genteel than what I usually have in a sling.

1 Like

Good guys 12
Purple Pukes 35
I predict we’ll come out strong as we did against UC and UK, but NW will eventually wear us down. We’re not the giant killer we once were. I reluctantly accepted this over a decade ago.

2 Likes

Respectfully, Northwestern is an incredible school and yes, is in the B10, but is NOT a “giant”. I keep hearing the hyperbole about how they “tend to make it to the championship game every other year”. They have made it twice since it began in its current format, got rolled once, and yes, played Ohio State semi-close once until Ohio State pulled away. And, someone has to make it out of the B10 West.

NW is admittedly a well coached team, and indeed has been relatively strong a handful of seasons in the last 3 decades. However, it is also a program that does hit considerable dry spell/reset/rebuild periods.

I’m not seeking to take away from Northwestern at all. Much respect. But, it is a school with 1/2 the undergraduate size of Miami, has always helped the B10 in terms of academic numbers, and also brings academic prestige in general to the conference.

Bottom line - we should expect Miami to compete very well at NW, and expect to win. If Miami does not, then so be it. But, I don’t feel that NW football’s “giant” stature should ever be the reason.

4 Likes

If that’s the case, then why aren’t we and who are we? Are we an FCS program with FBS facilities content to be contenders each year for the championship of the weakest division in college football? If we go 1-3 and 6-2 again, I feel our identity crisis might have reached the tipping point.

2 Likes

Interesting site. Obviously not all inclusive. Of note is how many starting QB are either out or dealing with serious injury issues already - after just three weeks. Pretty strong evidence that a team better have three experienced QB on the roster, admittedly hard to do in the transfer portal era.

1 Like

Check me on this but, I thought I recall seeing/ reading somewhere that Brett Gabbert’s shoulder injury was made worse after a defender “fell” on top of him while he was either on the ground or in the process of going down by contact.

If the data NESCACDAD passed along about the large number of QB injuries (especially this early in the season) is accurate, I would think this should call for a corrective memo to officials ASAP to change the rules on defensive players contact with QBs. Said memo should also be sent to all coaches to be discussed with their players…otherwise a lot of teams will end their seasons playing third string or lower QBs to the overall detriment of college football.

2 Likes

Kent reports no injuries and Miami has Gabbert out for the season and Bester with unreported injury. Thought Bret may come back at some point. Now agree with those who feel he will return to Miami for at least 1 season. Previously thought he’d enter the Portal for a Power 5 team.

1 Like

I count 34 reported QB injuries - after just three weeks. Not all of them are starters but many are.

1 Like

I expect a high scoring, close and exciting game. Hopefully 35-32 Miami.