Game Week Northwestern

CM said on last night’s gig at LaRosas the Ty Wise is a day of game decision but practiced this week. He said he is hopeful we might get Tyre Shelton ready to go Saturday.

1 Like

Having Shelton along with the rest of the backs could keep run game fresh. Miami was beat by 2 very good teams and beat a FCS team.

So how can we know how good or bad this team is at this point?

1 Like

Rule changes of the past have evolved more fragile QBs. Qs need to play the same game as everyone else. Surrender slides, contact limitations, etc. The answer is not more rules to protect one position.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but that’s just silly. Players today are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before, but the vulnerability/exposure of the QB position (by its very nature and the way the position is played) has remained the same. This isn’t a matter a “toughness” or “machismo”.

3 Likes

And the QB are bigger and stronger, too, not more fragile. With the increase in speed and size of the players and the hardening of equipment, the game has become increasingly violent. Safety concerns are a major reason why the participation rate for the game at the lower levels is decreasing. Keeping the game safer should always be a priority.

3 Likes

Mr. Scalper, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

1 Like

Dumber than when I predicted we’d beat UC by ten?

Bake has mentioned Randy Walker two or three times this week. I’ve got a Randy Walker story to share.

When I was the coordinator of Miami’s alumni chapter in Seattle during an early summer in the late 90s, we hosted a luncheon at Salty’s on Alki for Head Coach Walker. After the luncheon, Randy asked me if we had enough time to see Husky Stadium before I took him to the airport. I checked my watch and confirmed we had plenty of time.

Driving up to Montlake, I pulled into the drop off parking at the closed end of the stadium, got out and walked over to the open wrought iron area where you could look into the double deck, partially covered stadium. Randy stood quietly at the fence, looking at the Cascade mountain range in the distance, deep blue Lake Washington and the empty 76,000 seat stadium. He quietly said “This would do. This would do just fine.” With that he turned and we walked back to the car.

On the way to the airport on busy I-5 Randy expressed some second thoughts. He told me he wasn’t sure he could deal with the traffic in someplace like Seattle. He said in Oxford he had one stoplight between his house and his office and that if he caught it red it pissed him off.

My next trip to Oxford I stopped by at the end of a Friday practice to say hello and give him a baseball autographed by both Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey, Jr. I had promised him.

The next year he was off to Northwestern in Chicago and I never saw him again.

4 Likes

@NESCACDAD that is a very interesting story. Appreciate the share. I remember being a freshman in ‘90. First home game was Toledo. Miami fought hard, but lost to UT which was coached by Nick Sabin.

At any rate, I remember his inspiring vision and strong push to win.

I was not connected to the athletic department in any way, so never really knew him. But I do recall walking into Walmart in Oxford around ‘95 or ‘96, and Coach Walker was coming out of the store into the parking lot with his son. I shared a “hello” and he was so engaging and friendly. We chatted about the upcoming season a little, and that made a real impression on me. I think he enjoyed the small town environment but also was built for bigger things…

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. Randy was a Miami Valley guy - from Troy if I remember correctly. I met Tammy, his wife then/now widow, at the alumni assn event at UNC in 1990. She made it a point to attend, was introduced and thanked everyone for our support. She was and is a class act!

1 Like

My recollection isn’t as inspiring, but well, interesting. I was walking past the Purity one night and happened to look in that small window in the door. It was closed for an event - apparently the football team was having a post season beer blast. Then a player, Randy was sitting up on the bar and proceeded to dump a full pitcher of beer on his head. It was probably 3.2.

2 Likes

Cut him some slack. That place was notoriously hot.

2 Likes

So true!

Never said it was. Those are your words. When you put rules in place to protect any position, you will get different results than you would w/o those rules. There are some people playing positions today that could not have physically survived natural selection years ago. Wide receivers are another good example. Can’t touch them downfield. That changes the athletes that will have success. It also changed the cornerback position. O linemen able to extend arms/open hands on pass blocking changed the type of athlete likely to be successful on the OL. Easier to pass block. Taller, longer arms, leverage not as important as long arms to modern OL. The QB position is not immune from rule changes changing the position and those likely to be successful at playing them. I never question the toughness of the athlete. That is just some dumbass jump to conclusions straw man pack bashing.

I utterly fail to see how rules protecting the QB have resulted in more QB injuries. That was your premise couched within a framework of “natural selection”. In other words, what you’re saying is remove the rules that protect QBs and you’ll have fewer injuries. Again, that’s just silly or in the words of BTB30 “insanely idiotic”.

1 Like

Those were the words of the principal in Billy Madison…I just regurgitate them when the opportunity presents.

1 Like

Many of the injuries on the Cover report are bone injuries, including those of QBs. There is zero chance that rules limiting contact increases the occurrence of bone injuries.

2 Likes

Purple is a color for ladies of the night and prissy, dandy inbred foreign monarchs with snaggleteeth. Eff the Wildcats. Let’s party like it’s 1999 again, mutherfletchers.

2 Likes

I’d rather party like it’s ‘03. Far more relaxing.

4 Likes

All the food and drinks you could ever want (eat my meat!) from 10am-3pm here: 2142 Dewey Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201

Just walk in the front door.

4 Likes