Game Week Northwestern

Remember this guy? Another reunion for us - this time with a former BG running back.

1 Like

Just saw we opened as 7 point underdogs.

Can’t wait for a 10 minute soliloquy from Chuck to open his press conference this week about what monsters Northwestern, who just lost to an 0-2 FCS team, are.

3 Likes

Well hopefully we came out of UC game healthy?

Ty Wise I thought maybe got dinged…but, came back in? Tyre back for NW?

3 Likes

In todays presser, Chuck said Brett likely won’t play this season.

So he is probably done at Miami as he probably goes to a Power 5 team next season.

All because of the brain dead move to keep in the UK game. STUPID

2 Likes

Why are we thinking that he’s leaving? And what P5 team is going to guarantee him the starting job (he’s not leaving to be a backup)? If his last name was Johnson would we even be considering this?

7 Likes

I think getting hurt and missing the season actually increases the chances he’ll be back. He might receive some P5 interest, but not nearly as much as if he were coming of a big season like many expected him to have this year.

2 Likes

So this looks like a medical redshirt year for Brett. I agree that probably brings him back to Miami next season for one more year. Martin is definitely all-in on Aveon now. He also said a number of other guys are beat up and won’t practice Tuesday - didn’t mention Ty Wise, who got hurt twice Saturday.

Listened to Fitzgerald’s post-game presser after SIU loss and watched the game highlights. Fitz said they’re still without three of their top four Dbacks…might get one back this week. SIU got passes overtop of the guys NU had playing several times. I think we ought to be able to throw deep on them if the oline can pass protect. Will need to get the running game going a whole lot better than we did vs UC.

1 Like

This would then become a medical redshirt season and Brett still has 2 years of eligibility remaining. For a QB who is the acknowledged starter and gets along well with his head coach and the offensive coordinator, there is really no reason to transfer. In the last 2 decades Miami has turned out a Hall of Fame NFL QB in Big Ben, a QB who spent two seasons on a practice squad and got a Superbowl win in Josh Betts, a QB who spent 3 or 4 years in the NFL, some active, most on practice squads in Zach Dysert, and the best QB and all time record holder in the Arena Football League in Daniel Roudabough. Few teams have a better record of placing QB’s in the pros.

2 Likes

My hunch is he plays one more year at Miami, graduates and plays a grad year at Mizzou. And I also expect up to two of the promising guys currently in our QB room will transfer out during this post-season portal window. It’s going to be musical chairs with QB from now on.

Looks Yanks was pretty solid on his hunch…“NW they are B10, they are amazing…”

2 Likes

I’m cynical on the talent in the QB room if Martin really is/wants to be all-in with Smith.

Smith played remarkably well the first 20 minutes or so, then just gradually got worse and worse. 4th quarter he was terrible and actually threw two should have been pick 6’s directly into the hands of defensive players who dropped them with no Miami player around them. This kind of performance is kind of what you get with a guy with some talent but no experience. Don’t expect anything different if we go to one of the other freshmen QB’s. I would hope we ride Aveon and we see better and better performances. I don’t know about Saturday, but after that he should have much better pass protection and a better running game and more open receivers. If he develops this year, then we are looking very strong in our QB room for the future.

3 Likes

Absolutely @DICK - Aveon does not get there without making the mistakes that will be made. I contend he will have a better game against Northwestern. He was pressing rather hard by the time the 4th quarter came around at Paycor. That is unfortunate but understandable given the situation he and the team were in.

1 Like

Saturday will be a great test. NW is very hungry after losing last week to SIU…and will be “highly motivated.”
Hopefully, CM will also be highly motivated because this may his best chance to knock off a P-5 opponent and the kids have played some good football against both UK and UC before losing their early edges. I just hope (and pray) that CM will not do something stupid and lose whatever edge Miami may be able to get in this game…and let a winnable opportunity slip away…again.

2 Likes

I, too, thought Aveon played well against RMU and for much of the game at UC. I thought he started to get visibly frustrated in the middle of the third and if that had continued it might have been time to bring Henry in for a change of pace. But he settled in a bit and rode out the storm fairly well in the fourth quarter, although he wasn’t nearly as sharp as he was early on. The kid is definitely athletic and an intense competitor. A strong showing at Northwestern might set him up for a nice run in a very weak MAC.

1 Like

Nescacdad, I mostly agree with you here, except I do not feel that Smith ever “found his footing” in the four quarter…his passes were mostly atrocious and he should have been intercepted at least twice with throws right to defenders.

I think his should have been pulled to allow our #3 to get some snaps, or at the very least as mentioned by many, they should have designed some rollouts or designed runs outside of up the middle to try to take advantage of his running ability.

4 Likes

I’m sensing Chuck is too dialed into Aveon right now to have made that change.

1 Like

Completely agree with this post. Aveon is mobile but so far completely ineffective at the RPO game. Called runs seem to be more his forte. Take the decision making away and have him run, pass, or handoff.

1 Like