Game Week Northwestern

The Northwestern YPG is probably influenced by the fact they were played Duke/SIU from behind, and completion percentage inflated by opposing defenses probably playing soft coverage to limit big plays. Also Nebraska blows so they’re not a great proxy either. But yeah, I’m not too confident on our Pass D either way.

Nonsense (no offense intended). Chuck needs to deliver. Why do we always excuse away the idea of a loss? Northwestern struggled mightily with a horrendous Nebraska team and then dropped two. Why should we not expect the hunger to be ours?

3 Likes

The “fan presence” is larger in Chicago than in Oxford and environs…more fans=more pressure. Also, NW needs to become bowl eligible this year otherwise the drumbeat in Evanston may be louder than in Oxford.

1 Like

NW has a weak home environment compared to much of the B10. If Miami can piece together solid halves versus UC and UK, then we should expect a solid FULL game against NW.

3 Likes

My post was not intended to give Martin an excuse to lose at NW. I feel its a winnable game. Team needs 2 halves of good football for the 1st time this season.

3 Likes

Miami - 37
Northwestern - 6

2 Likes

Not good…our DBs need to get it together…
Seems like one side has been the main weakness.

People Chuck does not expect to beat anyone outside MAC… nor should “you” in his opinion…it’s clear that’s his attitude, as it protects/insulates his failure to do so

1 Like

Miami 44-14.

6 Likes

Ha…score looks familiar from Ben 2003!

2 Likes

Miami 30-28 on a Graham Nicholson FG at the gun after a bad snap on a Northwestern punt.

1 Like

27-24, NW

1 Like

Hard to go into a B10 game with inexperienced qb. NW with too much speed, size, bodies.

NW 27- 10

So true, only Miami’s portal exits (Rich Hagarty) and the Salukis can do it…and expect success with far less scholarship bodies…

3 Likes

NW 30- Miami 20

NW bounceback game

26-17 NW and Fitz need this one more than Chuck does. Nothing against Miami’s players as they do play hard…but there are only minimal in-game and half-time adjustments and I fear that will again be Miami’s undoing.

Lots of pessimism over on the NW boards. Most are picking MU to win.

I’ll disagree: 27-14 NW.

1 Like

How about 14-7 good guys

2 Likes

If Smith comes out early and plays well and regains his confidence (and the coaching staff does better with play calling), we have a good shot. We have to overcome our typical poor game day coaching, uninspired special teams strategy, and suspect DB play.

We can offset some of these liabilities if we can establish a good running game, and our DL puts pressure on the NW QB…like to see an occasional blitz.

1 Like

Considering all the hype about Miami’s recent recruiting efforts -our experienced OLine, solid linebacker group and deep running back room - we should be in a solid position to win this game against a struggling Wildcat squad. Northwestern is the one Big 10 team we have always fared well against. If not, our program is now an entrenched below-mediocre G5 program.

Miami 17, Northwestern 14

3 Likes