Future scheduling

ESPN shouldn’t care who we play in November as long as we play somebody. The Battle of the Bricks has no significance to anyone other than the Ohio and Miami fan bases. Timidity will eventually kill our program.

I agree.

I would be interested to see if there is a ratings bump, and if so, how big for rivalries like us and OU. I would guess it’s not very big.

Technically we shouldn’t have made it because LIU shouldn’t have counted as an official win… which was discussed previously in a different thread.

Yes, I did enjoy it. I enjoy every bowl game we make because they are so few and far between.

There were other ways for LIU to check off the boxes required for them to count as an official win.

2 Likes

I would suggest not much effort would have been made to check the boxes had we been the sole 6-6 team with the LIU issue. WVU was in the same boat. Having Hawaii left out of its own bowl but potentially bowl eligible was the lynchpin for solving the problem for all three teams. Had Hawaii not been eligible snd WVU did not have the same problem we did, my guess is that we’d have been sitting home as team #83 - and the rationale presented for leaving us out would not have been the desire to favor WVU but the LIU problem.

LIU was fully countable as a win. There is an interpretation of the rules in which you could say that they aren’t, since they don’t award enough athletic scholarships but that interpretation is not the one that is being used by the NCAA and I’m sure we knew that prior to scheduling them for a bowl game.

Had Hawaii not been eligible, I suspect we would have been the team left at home (though possibly UNT or Ball St.) but it wouldn’t have been been because of LIU.

2 Likes

Either way, when asked of my preference for who to schedule, I would do away with the FCS… not attractive to me as a fan. However, from the AD’s perspective and financially, I can understand scheduling them. But, this thread is about who we as fans would like to see.

1 Like

As someone may have mentioned earlier, the lack of appeal of playing an FCS team in September is that it eats one of maybe three or four Saturday home games played in nicer weather. That means 25-33% of our prime game days are committed to playing an opponent the fan base is not really interested in seeing.

2 Likes

Precisely. I said earlier and demonstrate each year that I will not delay a trip to see a home game v IPU but would for Northwestern etc. Still buying my tickets as of yet, but from being an automatic response it has become a questionable decision.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m new here. When I was a student at Miami back in the 90s, I really would have liked to have seen major-conference lower teams at Yager like Northwestern, Army, University of Illinois and Vanderbilt, Boston College and Pitt. I would’ve also liked to have seen a DePaul or Drexel, or even a good Ivy League team. The closest I saw was when Miami had the Ragin’ Cajuns of Louisiana, and they had a pretty decent sized crowd. That, and beating U.C. every year.

It’s funny, though, because going to a game against a service academy or a lower-team from the B1G or ACC would be a lot more interesting than playing Robert Morris or LIU. Miami could usually do well against a team like the aforementioned ones, as well as a team like Ga Tech, Va Tech, UNC, Wake Forest, Purdue, Houston, SMU, Rice and Kansas.

Can someone inform me why we don’t have a regular series against at least 3-4 of these teams?

1 Like

Depaul and Drexel for hoops, obviously.

I asked a similar question and they that know way more than I replied it’s because of economics. Apparently, playing Duke isn’t a buy game the same way playing OSU is. Hence why we don’t see many on your list. Although Pitt was on our schedule and we’ve played UNC and VA Tech (beat them both back in the 90’s) so it can be a little confusing.

1 Like

More or less looking for some good home and home games. Heck, Miami played Iowa and Northwestern at Yager, so it can be done. Even a 3 away/1 home would be cool.

2 Likes

Because money is athletics has changed since the 90’s in the same way college athletics of the 90’s was different than college athletics of the 60’s. Miami needs money to run their athletic department. When it comes to playing B1G schools and the like, we can:

1. Go play OSU or Wisconsin or Penn State once for a paycheck over $1,000,000.
  2. We can try to do a 2:1 with an Illinois. We get no money but have added 2 away games and a 1 home game

So you pick option 2. How do you make up the $1,000,000? You now have 2 away games and a home. What are you doing to rebalance the schedule, since we’re doing this for the fans after all? And as a fan, I don’t like 1 home OOC game, since 3 conference home games will fall on a weekday.

It’s not that it wouldn’t be cool. It’s that without major donations, it’s not happening. IIRC over 75% of our athletic budget already comes from student fees.

3 Likes

Don’t disagree with your conclusion in general, Jive, but if we did a 1 for 2 with a mid level P5 program I don’t think our payout would zero…obviously hundreds of thousand less than the “one and done “ pay games at the likes of OSU. Money needed to survive at FBS level is critical but our fans deserve an occasional P5 or good G5 OOC game at home. And, if we started winning these type of games, obviously it could positively impact our future ticket sales.

2 Likes

For Jive or whoever knows these things…if we were to do a 2 for 1 with someone like Indiana or any mid to lower level P/5 does that mean that they’re not going to pay us anything for the two we play at their place?

1 Like

I hope not.

I’d like to see a bunch of 2 for 1s with wimpy P5 teams like Boston College, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, UConn, Washington State (pretty much the entire P12 is crap), Kansas, Duke, etc.

Well said

1 Like

Its the same math whether it is a 2 for 1 - home and home and just home games

An away game at Big 10 school should be between $1M to $1.5M dollars and that is way more than we make from home games

The challenge is balancing the finances between playing 4 road Big 10/SEC games and making good money and having virtually no home attendance and a likely 0-4 non-conference record vs what we are doing now.

Kents financial situation requires them to do 3 power 5 aways and the make good money and the get one FCS win and take their 1-3 non conference

We currently have a set up that alternates between 2 power 5 aways- one G5 home and home and one FCS and 1 power 5 away- 2 G5 home and home and one home FCS

The UC series is the key to our future scheduling because if that becomes a power 5 road game every year or disappears then that is a big difference

i would rather play more power 5s and possibly throw in the occasional power 5 home game but I am sure Coach Martin disagrees. A schedule with UC-Pitt-Northwestern-Ohio State where the OSU game was a pure money game and the rest are 2 for 1s so you get money from one other game and the other two net to zero would be my favorite (like our 2002 schedule) but again Martin would hate it and we might get beat up too much

2 Likes