Future scheduling

Yep. Prior to the MAC championship game Full Ride interviewed him and asked him about it. His response was basically what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. He said playing those kinds of games give his players the experience they need to “stop a two point conversion when a championship is on the line.”

The Flashes might beat Washington, playing them before DeBoer gets a chance to clean up the Dawg poop Jimmy Lake left the program standing in.

1 Like

Here’s a list I compiled last year tracking the MAC’s future OOC games. It sure looks like there are a number of G5 home and homes on it, as well as some P5 one for twos.

Future MAC FBS OOC schedules

Akron
(6 B1G/4 SEC)
Top home game - Kentucky

Auburn
South Carolina
Nebraska
Michigan
Minnesota ((2)
Temple (Home and Home)
Kentucky (Home and Home)
Liberty (Home and Home)
Michigan State
Indiana
UAB

Ball State
(4 B1G/2SEC/1ACC)
Top Home Game - Army

Penn State
Wyoming
UCONN (Home and Home)
Miami (Fl)
Army (2 Home and 1 Away)
Georgia Southern (Home and Home)
Kentucky (2)
Purdue
WKU (Home and Home)
Iowa
Ohio State

BG
(3 SEC/2 PAC12/ 2ACC/1 B1G & 1Big12)
Top Home game - Iowa State

Tennessee
UCLA
Mississippi State
Georgia Tech
Penn State
Texas A@M
Louisville
South Alabama
Marshall (Home and Home)
Arizona State
Iowa State (Home and Home)
Liberty (Home and Home)
UMass (Home and Home)
Louisiana Tech

Buffalo @
(4 B1G/1 SEC)
Top Home game - Army

Nebraska
Maryland
Coastal (Home and Home)
Old Dominion (2)
UMASS (Home and Home)
UCONN (Home and Home)
Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Army (Home and Home)

CMU
(2 B1G/1 SEC/Notre Dame)
Top Home game - San Diego State

LSU
Oklahoma State
Penn State
Notre Dame
Illinois
San Diego State(Home and Home)
San Jose State
New Mexico State
Wyoming (Home and Home)

EMU
(2 B1G/1 PAC 12)
Top Home game: San Diego State)

Texas State (Home and Home)
Arizona State
Louisiana (Home snd Home)
San Diego State (Home)
UMass (Home and Home)
Liberty (Home and Home)
Georgia Southern (Home and Home)
Minnesota
Wisconsin

Kent
(3 B1G/3 SEC/ 1 PAC 12)
Top Home Game - VMI

Texas A&M
Iowa
Maryland
Washington
Oklahoma
Georgia
Arkansas
Penn State

Miami
(2 B1G/ 2 SEC/ 1 ACC)
Top Home Game - Missouri

Cincinnati (3 Home/4 Away/2Neutral)
Army
Minnesota
Northwestern
Kentucky
Missouri (Home)
Miami (FL)
Liberty (Home and Home)
WKU (Home and Home)

NIU
(5 B1G/6 SEC/3 ACC/Notre Dame)

Georgia Tech
Wyoming
Michigan
Tulsa (Home and Home)
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Boston College
Nebraska
Notre Dame
New Mexico State (Home and Home)
UMass
Maryland (Home)
Mississippi State
Wake Forest
Iowa (2)
Missouri (1 Home & 2 Away)
USF (Home)

OU
(3 B1G/2 Big 12/ 2 ACC/1 SEC)
Top Home Game - Iowa State

Syracuse (Home and Home)
Louisiana
Northwestern
Iowa State (Home and Home)
Florida Atlantic
Kentucky
South Alabama
Rutgers
Illinois

Toledo
(3 SEC/2 B1G/Notre Dame)
Top Home game - Kentucky

Notre Dame
Colorado State
UMass (4 games Home and Home)
Ohio State
San Jose State (Home and Home)
WKU (Home and Home)
Kentucky (2 Away and 1 Home)
Michigan State

WMU
(4 B1G/3 ACC)
Top Home game - Pitt

Michigan
Pitt (Home and Home)
San Jose (Home and Home)
Syracuse
Iowa
Wisconsin
Cincinnati (Home)
Marshall (Home and Home)
Illinois

1 Like

Honestly I doubt they ever get played but with 3 home UC games and Missouri you could say we actually have the best future home schedule of all the MAC teams

Maybe. But my point was to show that lots of other MAC programs seem to be able to make it work by scheduling the likes of Texas State, San Jose, San Diego State, Georgia Southern, Temple, Louisiana, Wyoming, Colorado State, etc. The argument some have been making is that scheduling those teams doesn’t work.

1 Like

We have had plenty of G5 series- Army-Marshall-WKU….unfortunately we lose every time. I think we have UMass-wKU and up until recently Liberty scheduled in the future.

Do you think the problem with our home attendance is that we havent had Texas State on the schedule? I doubt a game vs Texas State would draw much more than Robert Morris

1 Like

To be fair…we beat Army at home, ha!

2 Likes

Its the home game left over from the two games we played in Columbia in 2010 and 2011. We actually were competitive in the 2011 game. Based on the current thought process in the athletic department, I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold that game back to MIZZOU and tried to replace it with a Murray State or Illinois State.

Almost every MAC program is scheduling 2 P5 games, 1 FCS game, and 1 G5 game.

Here’s where everything is different with Miami’s schedule: how many MAC schools have a 1:1:1 with a P5 program?

2 Likes

I was there - in 2011. The last OOC FBS game we won until UNT! The streak is dead! Long live the new streak!

1 Like

We won’t have that 1-1-1 arrangement much longer.

Regarding the Missouri game, the last I heard, was that the current buyout was very large, and that we would not take anything less. So they either play us or pay us.

2 Likes

So I’m guessing we’d def sell it if the price was right. MIZZOU has OOC home games locked up in 2025 with Kansas, Louisiana and UMass.

I would love to get away from the FCS, and just play 2 G5 teams. I get that the payday we get from the P5 is then somewhat passed down to FCS. But, if you can find a CUSA, Sunbelt, or AAC team to play that isn’t too far away. Would prefer that over an FCS.

I’d like to see a MW team mixed in every two or three years, too. It would make us seem more like a national scope program instead of the most regionally Midwestern team in the MAC. In the next eight seasons, we are only scheduled to play one game against a team located more than three states away from Ohio. That one game is at Miami of Coral Gables - four states away. The only game with a west of the Mississippi opponent is the home game in Oxford with Missouri.

In what way would this benefit us?

As a season ticket holder, an FCS game has zero appeal whatsoever… I get that we have a greater chance to win against an FCS (not guaranteed, see just a few years ago), but not exactly a matchup that I want to see. Yes, I realize that this is the fan perspective and not financially viable, but to me personally is more exciting. Especially if you throw in weekday games later on in the season that are hard to make.

4 Likes

The way the non-con schedule breaks down, at least recently (B1G buy game, UC, G5, FCS team), we almost have to play the FCS game simply to give us a great chance to get a W and finish 1-3. Without the FCS win against LIU we don’t play in a bowl game this year.

A lot of this has to do with UC being a guaranteed loss the past few years. It’s a sad reality since they are technically a G5 opponent although their roster would say otherwise

1 Like

Did you enjoy the bowl game this year?

2 Likes

The past few years? You mean the past few decades?

“Play it home and home and bring the bands. That would create some real pageantry that is absolutely lost by scheduling that game on a cold or rainy Tuesday night in November.”

Thanks! I’ll run it by ESPN and get back to you!

Signed,
Dave