Future scheduling

I’ve followed this thread with interest. All speculation may be moot if the P5 decide not to share, circle the wagons, and keep all the money inside the circle. With coaching salaries, unlimited “support staff” budgets, Title IX, etc., all signs point to a consolidation. If they all choose this route, none of them will have “gimmie” games so a less than perfect record would be acceptable. Follow the money.

2 Likes

Olaf - Yep. And the Greedy Bunch and a big chunk of the media wants to take it.

That’s why I’m starting to really dislike P5 football. Think Monday night I’ll split my time between the game and whatever is on Discovery Channel and TV Food Network.

1 Like

Note to DS - if we’re still thinking about scheduling an FCS team to replace Liberty, please avoid North Dakota State.

2 Likes

They’d pay us something, but not a lot. Here’s one example I found of a two for one between South Alabama and Oklahoma St:

• 2017: USA hosted and paid OSU $300,000
  • 2018: OSU will host and pay USA $625,000
  • 2023: OSU will host and pay USA $300,000

So USA makes 625,000. But if they had played two buy games and paid for an FCS team to come to town they could have made around 2 million from the buy games minus 300/400k to get an FCS team in town, so they are losing out on a million dollars. I don’t think a single home game against a lower-tier P5 is worth a million.

Have fun!

Moore Hawk…thanks for info. Interesting.

Sad but true.

So in gracing us with their G/5 presence we’re actually losing out big time $$$. Lot’s of big boys football preseason anticipation followed by three and a half hours of fun on the field followed by a lost million dollars season of fiscal pain.

Kind of the ultimate “Them’s what has gets” (Will Rogers I think) or the rich get richer. Take your pick.

Ultimate result is “What time does the team plane leave for our game against Wisconsin” next season?

1 Like

Given the mounds of evidence being presented for why we should play only P5 buy games we should never be expected to win coupled with a non-competitive FSC home game every season, I am perplexed by the pattern of other MAC teams playing one for three P5 games against the likes of WVU, Iowa State and Kentucky, some very distant P5 teams like Arizona State and UCLA, and home and homes against other G5 teams. Don’t the rules of Miami football economics apply to them?

The UC rivalry really screws up our schedule flexibility.

2 Likes

That’s my assumption, as well - at least partially. We are a cheap guaranteed FBS win for them every year now. They are a guaranteed cheap FBS loss for us. What do we gain from continuing to play them every year?

Well, the other issue here is getting on a schedule. Even if you only wanted million dollar games, the scheduling stars have to align so I guess less money is better than no money.

Yeah but that’s the point of college athletics. It’s supposed to be about local rivalries, not payflex, schedule pliability, and whatever else college athletics has become.

They literally just played each other a month ago. I doubt this year’s game is going to set any ratings records.

In the early aughts, Miami did a home and home with Iowa, and I can recall Syracuse coming to Yager in either 07 or 08. But yeah, it’s been a rarity over the years.

I grew up in the Toledo area during the 80s and 90s and went to a lot of games at the Glass Bowl with my old man. I remember seeing Kansas, Purdue and Minnesota play there in the 90s. And I know they’ve had Pitt and Miami (FL) at the Glass Bowl in the past decade or so.

Also, Welcome to the Boards!

I hope you enjoyed the game, Dave!

Redhawks 11…Missed the first quarter Was at my business (Ugh!) finishing up. Was driving home heard the kickoff. Thought it was the normal 9pm kickoff and obviously not.

Got home and made it about half way thru 3rd quarter and turned it off and fell asleep. Got up this morning and saw the Doggies won. Did watch bit of Discovery Channel during all the commercials though. Looks like things picked up quite a bit after I went nightie-night!

Rabid pets beat the devil. So happy for them.

Saw SI’s early bird top 20 something and they have USucks at 23. Makes them beatable in my book. Something to look forward to.

2 Likes

Missouri just cancelled/bought out a game at MTSU. Regardless of the contract cancellation clause, don’t underestimate the SEC’s willingness to pay :moneybag: to cancel when they can make :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: for a home game. A lot to MU is peanuts to them.

3 Likes

Yep. I’m betting we make money on the game but that it never gets played.

2 Likes

Depending on how much the buyout is, this could be an opportunity to look for one of those home and homes with a G5 school. We will have to see what Missouri does with us.

3 Likes

Yep…good thought!

1 Like