Eric Koehler fired?

I am confused. His twitter still says Miami. He has retweeted a lot of Miami stuff but also liked when qbs we are recruiting visited other schools.

It has been an odd lately

I found the “we got our guys tweet” with the same 16 we got in December odd as well

You’re a good, knowledgeable fan.

Go Redhawks!

1 Like

We really like it.

1 Like

Is anyone else making a move for him? I haven’t seen it if so

Chuck has only spent 1 season calling the offense as far as I know. It’s also the season we finished highest in the MAC in offensive efficiency. IIRC that was year 3 when we actually had a creative offense that scored with a questionable offensive line and a quarterback that couldn’t throw further than 20 yards. He called the defense before and after that season.

I agree they need a new offensive Coordinator but I feel bad for Eric. He is a really nice guy.

1 Like

He got 9 years. Had his chance but maybe a new opp is just what he needs.

2 Likes

I don’t think that is right. I think the offensive play calling system used to be run as I described, with Koehler coming up with a play, then sending it down to Chuck for approval or change, then going to the 3 QB’s who signalled in the plays to the team. We had repeated issues with running out of time and burning TO’s or being very rushed to get the snap off. After that season Chuck started concentrating on the defense and allowed Koehler to run the offense.

1 Like

Fleck couldn’t resist once Koehler told him about his 2nd and 10 play calling philosophy that will have the Big 10 reeling.

Stole this from @Skins, but updated it with the final results from this season.

Offensive efficiency

2014: 108/128 overall; 9/13 MAC
2015: 121/128 overall; 12/13 MAC
2016: 101/128 overall; 8/12 MAC
2017: 96/130 overall; 6/12 MAC
2018: 90/130 overall; 5/12 MAC
2019: 111/130 overall; 10/12 MAC
2020: 103/127 overall; 9/12 MAC
2021: 64/130 overall; 4/12 MAC
2022: 118/131 overall; 10/12 MAC

Gus is coming home?!

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-chuck-martin-adjusts-miami-ohio-staff-finds-new-coordinator

1 Like

In regards to the new OC: If we had someone on the staff who could do better than the stats above, why did it take 9 years to make the change?

As for the QB coach, I’m happy to see Gus returning. Seems like he’s been pretty successful since taking that initial GA job with Notre Dame.

3 Likes

Happy to see Gus returning to Miami. I’d hazard to guess that this is one of the few times that a position coach returns to their alma mater ~5 years after graduating yet still gets to coach their direct successor at that position.

I’ll reserve judgement about Welsh until we see the kind of offense he designs, but I’m not exactly overwhelmed with another guy from Martin’s ND/GVSU pipeline. Would’ve rather seen someone up-and-coming from another program (like we got last offseason on defense for some of the position coaches), but it’s hard to not improve upon the disaster we saw last fall.

3 Likes

I thought only two weeks ago Gus had been announced as the new TE coach at East Tennessee.

I guess Chuck gave him a better offer.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-etsu-quarles-make-key-offensive-hire-from-notre-dame-football-staff

I have reservations about our new OC, but will certainly give him an opportunity to prove himself. He has to be better, right? Right?

3 Likes

Trading one Martin guy for another. Find it hard to believe he was hired because of his creativity and innovation.

3 Likes

To me, this type of move makes me think CM will possibly be more involved with the offense this year. Promote a company man who he can control. Guess we’ll see though. Glad Gus is back

2 Likes

Sarcasm to follow. What makes you think that? Sarcasm ended.

With Welsh as the OC I think the TEs might be involved in the offense again

1 Like