Eric Koehler fired?

According to this reporter, Miami OC Eric Koehler is heading to Minnesota to be an offensive analyst.

If true, I would have to assume it’s because he was let go by Miami. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

6 Likes

Well isn’t that interesting.

Who cares why it happened. IT HAPPENED!!! Best off-season news in YEARS!!!

8 Likes

Hope he doesn’t take any of our QBS with him.

1 Like

I would imagine Minnesota has a full room.

They have 2 less than we do.

You might be right. Given you usually are, I’ll trust you here. Ps, I’m watching a great BBC show called All Creatures Great and Small. Highly recommend it. Based on a fantastic book.

3 Likes

:joy::joy: Well, I’m watching Mr. Mom, I mean how can you top Michael Keaton?

2 Likes

Hallelujah

2 Likes

I may have done a happy dance hearing this!

Any QB following Koehler anywhere is committing positional suicide!

1 Like

Not that his successor can be much worse, but let’s see who gets the OC job before celebrating too much. By my count that is three coaches Chuck has to replace this offseason.

1 Like

I have to admit I kept seeing Koehler liking qbs that were visiting other MAC schools and found it odd

3 Likes

In my opinion, this was the most critical thing that Coach Martin had to solve - going into another season under-utilizing the offensive talent we have would have been a fail. Now, as was pointed out, the new hire is so key for Chuck and this program. If we get improvement here paired with CM’s typical strong defense, we should see overall improvement and contend for the MAC.

4 Likes

I think it was quite telling this year when members of the offense were taking to social media complaining about the offensive scheme. Whether they should air the laundry in public like that is another topic, but it was telling of some level of discord with Koehler’s play calling.

4 Likes

As an offensive analyst, Fleck had better watch out for a more bland, blah and boring style is headed to Minny.

What does an offensive analyst do? Watch film? Quality control? I don’t know enough about football to understand the role.

Analysts aren’t allowed to actually coach players on the field or recruit. Therefore, they typically spend their time breaking down film of opponents or doing self-scouting. It’s a luxury that bigger programs can afford. I don’t think any MAC teams employ analysts on their staff.

1 Like

Alabama had been doing it for years - plenty of fired head coaches have made their way to Tuscaloosa to work a year or two under Saban as a rehab of sorts before getting back into FBS coaching.

Imo this a great move for both sides. For Miami it means we get new blood at OC to bring life to a stale offense. For Koehler, he goes to a solid Big Ten program and play to his strengths (I.e. not playcalling) without the stigma of being fired from a MAC school. Fantastic news for us.

2 Likes

Maybe Scott Frost would come for a year while he looks for his next move?

1 Like