Eric Koehler fired?

I could see CM take over OC role. He was OC/QB coach at Notre Dame.

3 Likes

That would be interesting. I won’t say I completely hate the idea, but I wouldn’t be in favor of it either. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure he’s currently calling the defense. Or at least extremely involved in the defensive game plan. That’s his strength and the proof has been evident on the field. I would rather him try hiring a competent OC, than trying to do it himself and jeopardizing the defense.

In today’s game, it feels like there are a number of good offensive minds out there waiting for their chance to run an offense. I know Chuck is an old-school type coach, so I’m not expecting him to bring in a Josh Heupel type guy. But I hope he chooses someone who is progressive and can put pressure on opposing defenses

5 Likes

I’ve always wondered why he didn’t just do that since he can likely oversee defense from afar. Also, I always thought he was the DC at ND. Interesting.

May I suggest:

Taylor Housewright begins his second season as Montana State’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2022 after helping lead the Cats to the 2021 FCS National Championship Game. Housewright guided the Bobcats through a late-season quarterback transition which saw freshman Tommy Mellott lead the Cats through a successful playoff run in his first campaign with the Cats. He spent the 2020 season as an analyst for offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead at Oregon, and the year before that worked in quality control for Moorhead when he was Mississippi State’s head coach. In 2018, Housewright was an offensive graduate assistant at Wyoming under then-Cowboys offensive coordinator Brent Vigen, working with running backs and tight ends. A former star quarterback at Ashland University in Ohio, he began his coaching career as a GA at Miami (Ohio) in 2013-14, then moved to Wittenberg as receivers coach. He coached receivers in 2016 and defensive backs in 2017 at his alma mater. Housewright was Division II All-American and Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference’s Offensive Player of the Year as a senior in 2012, when he finished fifth in Harlan Hill Trophy voting as DII’s top player.

7 Likes

Looks good to me. Even a move to the MAC would likely net him a big salary increase.

We could really use a young OC with new ideas.

3 Likes

No! Our program turned the corner when Chuck gave up working with the offense and started taking control of the defense. I think the final straw of his working with the offense was when he got so caught up in deciding what play to run that he forgot to call TO vs UC. Really since then, he has been a great manager of the game. He has been able to do this while sometimes talking to the defense during the game, mostly at dead ball times.

We also used to have issues with Kohler calling the play down to Chuck who had final say then to the play callers on the sideline who would signal in to the team. We often ran out of time or were very rushed. We do not want to go back to things which did not work.

5 Likes

How Taylor Housewright went from sleeping in closets to being one of college football’s top young offensive coordinators

Story by John Brice • Dec 2, 2022

Google the headline and enjoy the story…

1 Like

Absolutely not! I’m sorry but this is a HC who doesn’t need another distraction. Find a good competent OC. This Taylor guy would be an interesting choice.

Double NO. That would be the one situation I could see us taking a step backwards.

Just to be clear. I hate the idea. Just saying I could see it happening.

1 Like

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-taylor-housewright-went-from-sleeping-in-closets-to-being-one-of-college-footballs-top-young-offensive-coordinators

1 Like

I agree with just about everything you said, but did you seriously say that CM is a “great manager of the game?”

Just get someone who can run the damn ball and get away from the RPO garbage

Can’t afford him

I mentioned Taylor Housewright’s name back in early December if anyone was paying attention.

2 Likes

Are you watching at the gym or the gun club?

1 Like

Yes. I really don’t think I have seen him make a big mistake since that UC fiasco. Now realize he gave up offensive play calling. I mean he decides if we are going for it or punting or trying a field goal, but unless there are timeouts involved, I think Koehler has made all the calls. Yeah, he does a nice job of milking the clock when we have a lead, probably as good a job as you will see anywhere. Think about how we ran the clock down and kicked the winning FG vs NW this year. In a terrible offensive night, that game winning drive was perfect coaching and execution.

If you do not like the way he has been making those coaching decisions, then maybe we disagree on what those decisions should be. Also understand that I have been calling for the replacement of the guy who called our offensive plays (Koehler) since the BG game. That part of the game has been called by the OC.

1 Like

Me too! I think he ought to get an interview if he wants it. But right now the Bobcats are probably a stronger program then we are.