Eric Koehler fired?

This one should be 128/131; 12/12 MAC

QB coach for a MAC team is absolutely going to make more than a TE coach for a SoCon team.

Happy to have Gus back, but I definitely would have preferred to go external on the OC hire.

1 Like

All I wanted was signifiant schematic changes. This internal hire doesn’t bode well for that.

I mean, CM is the head coach, he is in control of everything.

My biggest issue with the playcalling was we’d call a great play then go in a completely different direction. Another issue would be to double down on the obvious gameplan (a team was bad against the run, so run all the time, but with no variety) and not adjust quickly. The internal hire can work if there’s a better flow and continuity to the playcalling. And who knows, with a tight end calling the plays, maybe we’ll take advantage of the tight end more, never a bad thing.

I understand, but CM has made it clear on several occasions that he has been hands off with the offense recently. While the offense is on the field, he typically visits with the defense to go over what they’re seeing. My point is, I think that might change next season. To extent that he’s actually calling plays? We’ll see.

1 Like

I would suggest that it is in part the power of Hawktalk. Replacing Koehler as OC was pretty unanimous. Most things we disagree on and argue about, but a change in OC was something everyone seemed to want, and it was pounded in most of the season and beyond. People I talked to that don’t post here but do read what we have to say were bringing the same thing up time and again.

1 Like

I’m conflicted here. On one hand, a change in OC was needed and Koehler’s ouster is a welcome change for a program that has underachieved offensively for too long. It is also an indication that CM recognized our deficiencies on that side of the ball.

What is confusing is the promotion of a position coach that has been with CM for as long as he’s been at Miami (and was brought over from Notre Dame). @JiveHawk poses the right question – if Welsh was the right guy all along, what took so long? I’d love to hear what Welsh said to sell CM on his promotion, and what fundamental changes in both scheme and play calling he plans to install.

3 Likes

There is always a balance between retaining or promoting coaches on your staff that you think are valuable and talented and loyal vs. bringing in guys who will bring in new ideas and enthusiasm. I always think, even when things are going great, that one or two changes in a staff are a good thing, but 4 or 5 is way too many to keep things moving in the right direction.

I would guess we just have to trust/hope that Chuck has made the right choice.

1 Like

Long time suffering and or warped as a result of it Bengals fan here with something to consider: when the Bengals got rid of Lewis and replaced him with a young coach who up to that point had only ever been a QB coach, I was gobsmacked. How could they get rid of Lewis? I mean, at least he was reliable albeit sometimes with a penchant for .500. True, we’d not won a playoff game with him but we were so much better than we’d been for a decade. I was resigned to another lost decade. But then a funny thing happened. With the new change, came new ideas. And the unproven coach ended up being a rising star. Perhaps some of these new hires end up being the spark we need. Change is hard, but it can be rewarding.

1 Like

Zac Taylor wasn’t Marvin Lewis’s QB coach, though.

3 Likes

You may be right, but that doesn’t mean you’re wrong.(do you see how I riddled you there so effortlessly. #postmodernlogic

1 Like

With change comes opportunity! On offense we have no where to go but up. Pursuant to any objective standard our offense has not been where it should have been. Whether it be play calling , poor offensive line play, , lack of QB depth and other factors we hopefully start a new page for improvement in ’ 23.

2 Likes

Minnesota with 3 points at the half in the first game of the Eric Koehler era.

3 more than their opponent. BIG West is horrific.

Hey, don’t be sleeping on those high flying, limo driving, there’s no denying, the offensive juggernauts known as Iowa and Northwestern. Whooo!

Reading MAC stats, when is the last time a Miami offense was ranked second in the MAC in total offense at 416 yards per game, second in scoring at 34 PPG-not bad considering they only got 3 points at Miami. They also have two of the top three total offense games, most yards rushing in a game and the top two pass plays.

1 Like