Embarrassment

UMass was still a conference game in 2014. Plus we also beat them in 2015, so it would be 4 if you’re choosing not to count them as MAC.

1 Like

PRESSER:

1 Like

Chuck’s presser:

“My job is to get you to play your best football. You didn’t play your best football”.

I read that as, “I did my job, you didn’t do yours.”

Coldiron done for season

It looked more like CM’s approach for Friday was “Let’s not get Gabbert injured.”

Of course, then we lost Coldiron.

2 Likes

Now that is tragic irony. The only play you use your TE and he’s injured. Heres to hoping Jack fully recovers and is successful at whatever he choses next.

Jfc

He could come back I assume for one more year. Coldiron that is.

1 Like

May have been a non contact injury…he came down with the catch a little awkwardly and appears to twist his knee when he turned to run.

1 Like

I was expecting a much closer game than this, and expect a win vs UMass. I also commiserate with others on this board who think that Miami U’s best days athletically and academically ended around 2004. I used to think that Miami was a ballsy competitor, with top notch selective academics on par with Northwestern & Notre Dame.
Now I think Miami U is geared for a little-bit-better-than-dopey kids who didn’t get a good financial aid package to Dayton or Indiana State, and MU pretty much lets anyone in these days. Ah well.

1 Like

I may be nitpicking, but some expression of accountability would have been nice:

“We weren’t prepared for the challenge, and that’s on me.”

“We as a coaching staff have to do a better job of game planning and getting the team ready to compete, particularly when facing a talented team like Miami.”

1 Like

Bleak party of one, your table is ready. That’s Bleak party of one.
And welcome to Houlihan’s.

1 Like

It looks to me like the Bleak Party includes about 50 guests.

how bout a new A D that can hire ?

3 Likes

Not making excuses - overall not a good showing at all on Friday. But I will bet that Miami Fla ends up quite a bit better than the Illini - I think the portal work the Hurricanes did this off-season was strong. Miami (Fla) will end up rated quite a bit higher than Illinois - significant talent gap between those two teams.

And I did watch the entire Toledo game - one comment out of left field - Coach B.B. at Illinois - he looks awful - like he is just trying to keep breathing on the sideline - he is huge and looks like he might not make it through the year. :grimacing:

Having said that - I agree that we need to be more creative on offense - we come in with less talent than the opponent - need to change the balance of things somehow. Coach Martin did admit in post game interview that we should have run the ball less - he just emphasized that he was trying to be two-dimensional and not have them focus too much on the pass game.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right.UMass was a MAC game in both 2014 and 2015. So the only OOC FBS wins CM has in nine plus years at Miami are the UNT and Northwestern wins. Northwestern’s 2022 team went 1-11 - was one of its worst in teams in that program’s sorry existence. The writers who consistently Place us in the bottom 33 probably know what they’re doing.

1 Like

Everytime I hear a CM press conference I think of John Crist’s “If football coaches were honest” skit.

3 Likes

Is this Dabo Sweeney from tonight?

Time will tell who is the better team this year, Illini or Hurricanes. But that most definitely isn’t my point. Let me ask you this Tom, how would the RedHawks have fared against the Illini this weekend, and how would Toledo have fared against the Hurricanes? What is your prognostication on the score of each game?

3 Likes

Northwestern and Notre Dame? Why not Harvard and Chicago? I hate to break it to you, but Miami was never considered an academic peer to Northwestern and Notre Dame in terms of reputation or selectivity. Never. I’m all for an honest and clear-eyed look at what Miami is doing well and where it needs to improve, but judging it against some mythic past that never existed does not contribute to that conversation.

4 Likes