Embarrassment

Actually I don’t panic about Miami losses anymore. I also didn’t see anything that makes me confident they’ll beat UMass.

10 Likes

Yep, foolish to expect Miami to win ANY game on the schedule until they demonstrate the capability; from a coaching and execution standpoint.

3 Likes

I hear you - Toledo would have done significantly better - they are the superior MAC team when compared to us.

1 Like

How does GJ Kinne take over a traditionally bad Texas State team, go on the road to play his first game and beat Big 12 P5 Baylor by double digits? It took CM nine seasons to beat a P5 team - and that was a very bad Northwestern team?

1 Like

35 transfers, 9 of which came from Incarnate Word (Kinne’s previous stop where he went 12-2) and 17 from P5 programs. Good coaching too if I had to guess.

2 Likes

Incarnate Word?

Well “word up”!!!

Maybe that’s the way it’s done in 2023.

toledo and UC will be our toughest remaining games

1 Like

Since Spectrum and ESPN are in a pissing match I couldn’t watch the game. So I have sought out and watched every highlight film of this game I could fine. First of all, I am surprised Gabbert made it off that field in one piece. A few of the hits he took were massive. Our OL was a sieve the entire game. On the few occasions Gabbert was given any chance to throw, he was accurate. Let’s hope our OL improves against lesser competition. Our D didn’t fare much better. We were manhandled on the line. and once again our DBs play in the next zip code when defending. I realize these were just highlight films (and one condensed entire game film) but that game was pretty fugly.

4 Likes

Agree . We will find out a lot Saturday how good or bad this team is.

2 Likes

I thought what Austin Ertl said in his presser a little disturbing. Granted this is “player speak” but he said “We came out flat”, “We weren’t ready to play”, “We took the pedal off the accelerator”. What! First game of the year, at an ACC P5 opponent and you “weren’t ready to play”? Really? Why not?

2 Likes

@Bluesman I wonder if this is a result of CM’s apparent long-term deemphasis of OOC games - presenting them primarily as an opportunity to play against a superior opponent on a grandiose stage in an exciting environment.

Except for the game in Minnesota we have never seemed to go into one of those P5 games with a chip on the shoulder and any confidence we could actually compete.

We do seem to go in with confidence against most OOC G5 teams but seldom with any against a P5 team. In fact, CM sometimes even sets the table for a big loss the week before the P5 game takes place.

3 Likes

Welcome to our struggle…LOL

Reading between the lines - “Maybe we should not have partied so much in South Beach”

I didnt love the game anyway. If we are going to play money games vs ACC I would rather play Va Tech or NC State or even better 2 for 1s with BC- Pitt-Syracuse-Wake

2024 schedule looks good but this years schedule stinks imo.

2 Likes

It is possible to be flat while being too focused on what you have to do. You can be locked into what your task is and forget to play free because you’re playing the game in your head. Being flat can also be a result of maintaining an even keel when something goes wrong, looking to be mentally tough the whole game.

Redsea makes a great point. Why can’t we play teams like BC, especially if our take would only be 300K less than playing the Hurricanes.

1 Like

I think a four week camp with CM is grueling. Maybe too much for today’s players. I’m not criticizing CM on this, I like what he does. Just sayin’. He’s intense.

1 Like

The Hurricanes haven’t been any good for several years. NIL and the portal have allowed them to completely rearrange their roster in just one season. No one could have anticipated the crap show that’s going on in college football when we booked the game. CM referenced it in his presser. Miami and Colorado figured out how to have the best rosters money can buy. And it’s all legal now!

1 Like

“We came out flat”. “We weren’t ready to play”. I think these are pretty much default answers by players immediately after a tiring game because they really don’t know what else to say, and who can blame them. Cliches work there as well as anything.

1 Like

Sadly we make ESPN bottom 10 because of our poor (especially offensive) showing…

Must beat UMESS!