Del State

If you want to see what you’re supposed to do when you host an overmatched HBCU team, look at this box score from the UCLA vs NC Central game. Four QB played, 13 players had carries and seven receivers caught balls. The game was decided at the end of Q1. There was a lot of MACtion stamped all over this PACtion, as Carson Steele had 83 yards on 5 carries and scored a TD. Former Kent QB Colin Schlee rushed for two TD for the Bruins.

Random reminder: North Carolina Central beat Deion Sanders and Jackson State in the Celebration Bowl last year. Deion, Shedeur, Travis Hunter, & Co. can go 3-0 at Colorado but they couldn’t win the unofficial HBCU championship.

2 Likes

Yes indeed they did and the Eagles went 10-2 in the process. Of particular note is they only beat Delaware State 28-21. But the lost badly to Campbell. HBCU football is a level below mainstream FCS.

1 Like

Not really a fan of how lightly people are taking Delaware State (although it doesnt matter because none of us are getting snaps except CarolinaRedhawk). I want the starters to play as much as they need to. The offense is starting to round into form, theyre not going to get/stay sharp by taking the week off. Need to treat this week like UC week to make sure theyre hitting on all cylinders going into conference play.

2 Likes

If we can’t afford to take a low-level FCS team lightly, then I’m disappointed as to where we are as a program.

1 Like

I have never implied we should take them lightly. My suggestion would be to have the two deeps dedicate the game to the backups and scout team guys. The first unit should make a concerted effort to make certain the outcome of the game is determined by the end of the first quarter - and definitely by halftime - so the backups and scout team guys can get some meaningful playing time in the second half. That’s not taking the week off. That’s making a statement and helping build the program.

OK boys, here’s why I say we need to be up 42-0 at the half. Deadheads gotta love Richmond WR Jerry Garcia!

3 Likes

Here’s why I say we need to. They got worked by a D2 program:

1 Like

Yep. And we’re talking a weak HBCU D2…not a Carson-Newman, Tusculum, North Florida, Ashland or Ferris State. Richmond rag-dolled ‘em. Catawba, where my friend’s kid played from 2009-2013, usually rolls teams from Bowie State’s conference. Catawba just beat Livingstone 55-15.

I say let’s play up to our potential. Get it done by halftime. Stay healthy and turn it over to the thirds and scout team guys for the second half. The scouts play against our ones and twos every day. They can handle this team, especially with a big lead.

Speaking of really good D2 teams, Ferris State traveled to Missoula to play the Griz Saturday night. It was a war. Montana trailed 10-3 at the half but came back to win it 17-10. The Bulldogs ran out of downs at the Montana 21 with about 30 seconds left.

1 Like

Game Notes are up. Things look quite stable.

1 Like

Hey I’m new here but this may not be popular but i would not be surprised if there is a bit of a hangover in first half I would not expect to be down but to run it up real bad in the first half I would not expect it this team just won the program’s biggest game in at least a decade being up only 2 scores at half isn’t impossible.

8 Likes

That’s what they need to make a commitment to not happening.

I want to add an additional practical take on this as well. Our fans, in the home opener, expect to see the starters at least for a quarter.

3 Likes

That suggestion has already been made!! Someone suggested putting it by the Cradle of Coaches Plaza entrance to Yager. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, in DSU’s last four games against FCS/FBS teams dating back to last season they’ve given up 34 or more/scored 7 or less in each of them. The latest Sagarin ratings have them at 255 of all 261 FBS/FCS teams (lowest of non-Pioneer League programs); for context, we’re at 90, the U is 28, UMass is 184, and UC is 45. If we score less than 40 and/or give up more than 10 I’ll be disappointed. This is the type of team that even our pathetic 2013 squad would’ve probably beaten by a few scores.

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

I think people are really underrating just how bad this team is. Trap games are usually lower ranked teams from the same division or good teams from a division below. Delaware St is one of the worst teams in FCS and would be a bad D2 team if they were competing at that level.

People are bringing up the EKU example. EKU was a 9-3 nationally ranked playoff team, we had a horrifically depleted roster post Treadwell, and it still took a 4th quarter trick play for them to beat us by one score.

This is the type of game that we should be winning by 40+ without any starters seeing the field in the second half.

6 Likes

Tickets purchased! Section 4, Row 11 for anyone who wants to say hello. Even bought one for our daughter so she can sit with us. I will be the one holding the Victory Bell! :rofl:

1 Like

Confirmed, this will be taking place!! Victory Bell will be on display.

5 Likes

I had this fear as well. A classic trap game.

But then again, I have irrational fears all the time. :slight_smile: