Del State

0-3 this season. Coming off an 0-57 loss against a 2-1 Army and a 6-38 loss against a 1-2 Richmond. Scored 11 points so far season, with their only TD coming late in the 4th against a 2-1 Bowie State.

This should be a blowout. Hopefully our starters gets some well-deserved rest and our backups get a bunch of PT.

2 Likes

Definitely perfect timing to be playing at home and against a poor opponent. As you said, hopefully we can rest some guys in the second half. We’ll see how big the hangover is from last nights win.

1 Like

Let’s go out and wreck DSU and some Flashes so we’re 4-1 have a big crowd on hand for family weekend against BG. Win that game and we have a likely win with WMU the following week to enter the Toledo/OU games at 6-1.

1 Like

Michigan State - 41-7 losers to Washington yesterday - beat Richmond 45-14 last week. That’s how bad Delaware State is. And the Hornets’ first loss was to Bowie State - a DII HBCU.

We need to be up 45-0 at the half, healthy and then let everybody on the roster who’s eligible play meaningful time in the second half. The ones and twos need to dedicate next week’s game to the threes and scout team guys!

How much rest they get depends directly on the focus and execution of the starters. When Chuck goes to his 2’s and 3’s, he needs to let them play, not just run the ball up the middle. Get them some real experience. Hesson and Smith need to throw the ball and the receivers need to get some catches and the linemen some work on p[ass protection.

13 Likes

Perfect game to get some of the fringe guys if you will, some playing time. Take it to them from the off, have it be over with by half time, and then the second half we will see what our future may hold.

45-0 Redhawks.

1 Like

Should be 45-0 at the half. The twos and threes can score another 21 in the second half.

1 Like

Well yeah friend could be that much at the half, but regardless I think the backups will get some good playing time which is quite helpful going into conference action.

I’m talking the deep backups - guys who won’t help us this year but will the next two years.

1 Like

That will work too. Think I can make the drive to Oxford, sneak into the locker room, throw a uniform on, and get some playing time without anyone noticing? 6’3 280 pounds so big enough but my stamina is garbage so could probably only come in late in the 4th quarter haha.

2 Likes

We should put the Bell on display at the entrance on Saturday. Treat it like the big deal that it is and that UC probably disrespected all these years. Get a heavily armed guard protecting it and everything. Sackman won’t do it but someone could.

So many selfies and would help keep the positive momentum going IMO.

13 Likes

Starters should see little playing time. let as much of roster play as possible.

1 Like

Also will be huge to go into conference play w a 3-1 record…a bowl game should be practically assured, and hopefully we can gun for a MAC title as well.

2 Likes

Aveon for the start, why not…if we can’t run it on Del State…then we got issues.

Yes agree Aveon should start. Gabbert got beat up by UC and should rest/heal up for KENT.

1 Like

My pipe dream would be to see Brett play Q1, Aveon play Q2. Henry play Q3 and the other three non-redshirting QB get some reps in Q4. Everybody should come out of this game with at least some game experience.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t he be able to run it on Delaware State? He ran it against much better competition last season.

1 Like

Just my opinion, but I’d be pretty disappointed by this. Yes, we won, but I really don’t think the offense looks comfortable yet. Brett has had 3 picks this season where him and Wilkins were not on the same page, and the UC game was the first one where he was noticeable in a positive way. Handoffs have looked sloppy. Muersch has been targeted multiple times but hasn’t had a reception. First and goal from the 4, with a chance to go up by 4, ended with a FG from the 2. An interception before halftime ended with a fumble the next play. UC outgained Miami by nearly 200 yards.

This is a team that has the potential to go 11-1. But if they want to beat Toledo and Ohio, the execution must be tightened up. And as great as practice is, it just can’t replicate game reps. Play the starters, get a lead, then figure out when you want to rest them. With so many new pieces this year, those game reps are valuable.

6 Likes

I agree with Jive. Our 2s should not be starting if our 1s can go. The goal should be for the backups to play ~20 minutes of game time.

2 Likes

The ones should have this game completely out of reach at the end of Q1.

1 Like