Del State

Miami connection to Del State coaching staff: This weekend we’ll welcome Del State Asst Coach George Ricumstruct back to campus.

He was our Linebackers Coach on the 2004 team that Hep took to the Independence Bowl. One of George’s kids is a current member of the Hornets team. George is no stranger to the MAC, having played at Central and coached at Buffalo.

I hope so, and they really shouldn’t have trouble moving the ball. But do you think the offensive execution was really all that clean against UC? We still had to use multiple timeouts to get guys lined up. This is the most talented offense Miami has had under Martin. They should be averaging over 400 ypg the rest of the season. But they really need to gel a bit more to get there with all the newcomers.

The offense has been good, but it’s clear they can be one of the best Miami has had in 2 decades.

@JiveHawk Agree there is constantly room for improvement, especially on the offensive side of the ball. But I see Del State as simply a way to keep the first units plugged in but fresh for about a quarter. After that I see it as an opportunity to program build - a chance for everyone on this team to feel involved. It should be a great morale booster for the younger guys as well as getting them some game experience so the coaches can feel more confident plugging them in for inevitable injuries and in using them earlier in some anticipated mop up opportunities. It’s really hard for a MAC squad to build experienced depth. Del State provides us an early season opportunity to do that.

1 Like

Who’s he? We don’t want Brett running (unless he has to - which he does well), we know Aveon can run, I’m talking about running back (not QB) corp and Oline, it should be their show…just work on it all game. If they can’t dominate the line of scrimmage then…

To me, the last thing you want is Brett to get hurt vs Delaware St. and anyone can get hurt in any game regardless of competition.

Aveon should actually work on his passing game - If Aveon can’t get it going, fine…bring Brett in, but to me why not give Brett the week off, if possible given Canes, travel to UMass, then UC.

There’s no reason Aveon can’t be very successful against Delaware St.

Pass pro and passing game looked pretty crisp overall…the running game, handoffs and execution needs work…but I’m not sure much is gained by one half of game for Brett or 3/4s.

As I said above…I’d just like to see us go run heavy and get to see every and all potential running backs we have get reps, lots of them…hope the game is that easy, but you never know.

I think someone should send this message to Sayler. I’ll bet he’d go for it.

1 Like

For purely statistical reasons I would like to see them get the ball to Gage a few times to help pad his nation leading receiving yards total.

3 Likes

Aveon, since he was the one who you mentioned in your reply. And if you meant the team rushing attack… Amos had 100+ yards vs. UMass. Mozee had an even better YPC in his limited touches in that game. UMass isn’t good but still better than DSU. If we struggled running against UMass, it would be one thing but we already showed we can pound the ball against a bad FBS team, so obviously we should be able to do it against a bad FCS team.

No…separate things, protect Brett (responding to 1984) = Start Aveon…“we should” run means the team (not the “he”).

Aveon’s weakness historically is passing game - so soften them up with heavy rush attack, see what Aveon can do from there.

That said, we have by no means shown we can pound (one game against UMass, does not “show”)…but “if we can’t run on these guys (FCS)”…and sounds like you now agree, then I’d be shocked.

Tracy has gotten limited work, Mozee only has limited touches, Amos has all been hard work…would be nice see if he can get in open field a bit more and see what that looks like…

You said if we can’t run it against DSU, then we have issues. That implies we haven’t shown we can run it against similar (or better) competition. We have done that. Again, if we had 50 yards rushing against UMass, it would be a concern heading into this weekend and we could say “if we can’t run against DSU, we have issues.” But we didn’t. In the one game in which we were in a position to pound the ball to close it out, we did.

We should be able to do whatever the hell we want to do this weekend. Period.

Think this just deserves an old school…OMG.

Enjoy that argument with yourself.

What argument? That we should be able to move the ball throughout the game against Delaware State? Yeah, I’m okay dying on that hill.

Our freshmen backs should be able to move the ball against Del State.

1 Like

I get the sentiment, but fun fact, we don’t have any freshman running backs. Our youngest are redshirt sophomores (Amos, Brunson, Milanowski, Dunlop). It looks like Janerious Jackson didn’t make it to campus.

2 Likes

LOL…“should”…we’ve lost to EKU in very recent history. I super hope CM and staff can keep the kids focused this week.

This is even worse than skins take… As if a game that happened 9 years ago in Chuck’s first year coming off an 0-12 season has any impact on the running game Miami has shown this year. And if you mean Eastern Illinois, that was so long ago the underclassman backup QB (who ended up coming in and winning 6 straight to finish the season) has gone on to graduate, coach elsewhere for multiple seasons, and then come back to coach at Miami. Unless Billy Bahl is starting on Saturday, I’m not sure what relevance it has.

Yes, Miami has ran on FBS teams this year. Yes, they should run on Delaware State. No quotations needed.

3 Likes

I was waiting for someone else to say it. I don’t want to rain on our parade. Brett willed us to victory on offense. Defense is stout. They are doing their part. We can’t rely on Gabbert rushing for 130 yards. We have to get the run game going. Also, as you said, utilize TE’s. I liked that we are getting Javon involved more. I want to see Virgil in more at WR. The kid is special and we could lose him to the portal if we don’t get him involved. This is a 10 win team but we need to move past the UC win. CM knows this and will be hammering that home all day today. I like this team a lot. Heart and talent.

3 Likes

The Del State game presents more of a mental preparedness issue than a physical preparedness issue. We can’t afford any kind of close call with the Hornets.

2 Likes

No my dude, we lost to EKU 17-10 in 2014

And my second sentence says… 9 years ago. And 2014 was… 9 years ago. So long ago the QB in my post had time to redshirt, start the following season, tear his ACL, watch his backup lose the first 6 games of the following season, come back, win the next 6 including throwing a pick 6 to lose the victory bell in the infamous timeout game, play two more seasons, graduate, get hired as a coach at a top 25 program, take a job at his alma mater, and win the bell as a coach.

So again, what do the Andrew Hendrix-led 2014 RedHawks and EKU have anything to do with the 2023 RedHawks and Delaware State?

2 Likes