December 2024 Portal

You had me at Phan Shin

3 Likes

Texas A&M QB Max Johnson just transferred to North Carolina.

1 Like

UC long snapper entering the portal.

Noooooooo! Not the long snapper!!!

The TE who ran the fake punt in our game is also leaving UC. Remember when we all thought that play was going to be the defining moment in yet another loss to UC?

Granted, our team will also have departures (maybe even guys who have played major roles this year) but it’s nice to know that right now, we’re planning for a MAC title game and UC is having countless guys bolt from a 3-9 season.

4 Likes

My great nephew said coach has already lost the locker room. Expect more. Scatterfield could be gone in two years. Fickel set the bar pretty high. They’re not happy in Clifton.

3 Likes

When you lose the long snapper…

…things are bad.

1 Like

Riley Leonard and Grayson McCall in the portal.

1 Like

I don’t know. Those Insomnia Cookies are pretty good!

Damn, now I want cookies. I’m out at the Wright State game tonight and they don’t have cookies.

Everyone remember, if you want cookies when Miami plays at Wright State on December 19th, bring your own.

2 Likes

Both can play immediately. Leonard because the HC left and McCall as a grad student. I’m a bit surprised McCall didn’t end up at Carolina but they took the kid from A&M. Maybe he’ll end up at South Carolina to replace Rattler…

Speaking of which do we have an NIL program in any form? Is the admin doing anything?

I was told that it amounts to around $5,000 a year, but that guy was making an educated guess. So pretty insignificant.

What a bunch of bullshit

Two names I’m worried about leaving are Reggie Virgil to another G5 program and possibly Raion Strader to a P5. My feeling is that Virgil is probably starting to feel under appreciated and Strader has already established himself as a legit P5 defensive back for his performance this season as a true freshman. These are two guys I think the coaching staff needs to rerecruit hard.

I hate to sound like an asshole, but first priority is winning Saturday. And bottom line is if some P5 team comes calling with piles of cash, there isn’t a damn thing Miami can do about it, unless Jive, Alex and Nickskin pony up some of their betting winnings!!

1 Like

It’s OK to sound like an asshole occasionally. There are a number of us on this board.

I believe we have two advantages that may help us entering the transfer portal this year.

One, Chuck can point to tangible records of success with the players who have transferred to Miami. Five All-MAC players this year who are transfers—Ugwu, McDonald, Wise, McKee and Amos. Larvadian, Dowell, Marshall, Wilkins, Suttle are others that significantly increased their playing time and profile in transferring to Miami.

Two, for any top performers who may be thinking about increasing their NFL prospects by showcasing their talents vs. Power 5, we have games scheduled next year against Big Ten (Northwestern), Big 12 (UC) and Notre Dame. They don’t have to take a risk and move. They will have ever opportunity to show what they can do without leaving Miami. We also have almost everyone scheduled to come back next year giving us and a great opportunity to be favored in the MAC next year. Toledo and OU are losing many more graduating seniors.

8 Likes

@LaxDaddy Terrific analysis!

1 Like

I agree completely regarding exposure. NFL scouts are everywhere. If you are good, they will find you. Unfortunately, now we have the spectre of cash, cash and more cash, that simply put, Miami can’t offer. At least not in the amounts P5 teams can. Until Nickskin, Alex, and Jive pony up those gambling winnings, we are in a difficult position.

1 Like

Somebody smart has to be able to come up with some kind of workable model for ex-urban and rural G5 programs that will at least allow them to continue to be competitive with other G5s and similarly located P5s.