December 2024 Portal

Reggie is a P5 talent. He’s probably having trouble breaking through because we are so deep at receiver. He’s from Florida and a long way from home. I am worried as well.

1 Like

DJ Uiagalelei back in the portal again.

Unfortunately, I think we lose a couple guys in the portal. Salopek and wise, maybe suttle.

1 Like

I am sure we are going to lose some. The good news is they are playing Saturday. The bad news is probably not in the bowl game

1 Like

Also helping us out imo is the culture that Chuck has built into the program. We’re still gonna lose guys, but when you recruit only high schoolers/transfers who fit the culture as Chuck has done for a decade now you have a tight-knit group that looks out for each other, not a gang of mercenaries. Players that may be on the fence about transferring are less likely to leave if they’re happy versus a toxic environment.

4 Likes

Ivan Pace played in our bowl game, then announced his transfer to UC after that, even though it was pretty well known that he was going to transfer to UC.

1 Like

Wouldn’t Wise and Suttle have to sit out a year if they transferred?

1 Like

Not if they’re graduating

2 Likes

That is true

1 Like

Wise and Suttle are both transfers in. Unless they already have degrees they’d have to sit out a year.

Unfortunately, I think salopek is probably gone.

What is your basis for concluding Salopek is gone?

1 Like

I wouldn’t doubt if Salopek tries to go NFL after the year he has had

3 Likes

If I’m Matt, there is no downside to putting my name in the portal. See what kind of offers and NIL opportunities are out there. He always has the option to come back. And yeah, I would definitely kick the tires on the NFL too. He has a lot of juice right now after being named DPOY. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Doesn’t Chuck usually have a rule that if you enter your name then you don’t come back? Granted there is obviously a precedent against that now since Brett came back, and I would imagine Salopek has earned that same level of trust and acceptance in the same situation. But at what point does that rule (or tendency, at least) just get thrown out entirely?

1 Like

I think CM’s stance has essentially been: if you put your name in the portal, nothing is guaranteed. You might be able to come back, but your scholarship might also be allocated elsewhere. For fringe guys, it’s a risk. But I have to believe he would almost always take back key contributors.

3 Likes

The NCAA rule is that once you go in the portal your scholarship is automatically rescinded. You may get the scholarship reinstated but it is totally at the discretion of the school.

1 Like

There is damage done to the team when a player goes in the portal and then comes back. That’s why you rarely see it happen. You are telling your teammates I want something better. I’m not speculating. I asked players how they felt. Now, I would 100% have let Gabbert come back. I think that was a rare situation that won’t happen again with CM.

2 Likes

I’m guessing a lot of bowl-bound teams are going to be greatly handicapped if they have key players start to jump in the portal next Monday.

1 Like

anyone watching backup fr qb for NM State? Incredible effort.