December 2024 Portal

Yep. As I said, I like the offer for both purposes on need and quality.

1 Like

Hot take: we played a lot of QBs this season that I thought looked better than Snyder.

Just down the road:
https://twitter.com/crveltkamp/status/1729266912704500045

2 Likes

I think the most pressing question is when will Brett/Miami know his plans? I listened to an interview with Brett (forget the guys name, maybe even a poster here?) and Brett said he didn’t even know what his football future held.

How many guys with proven on field talent would want to transfer into that unknown? A lot of the guys worth getting are transferring down because they are losing their spot in P5 as a starter but still have talent for the MAC.

Are guys gonna want to commit to the unknown Gabbert situation? I can’t imagine Chuck would bench him if he is ready and able to return, and I would think a portal transfer worth having would want a clear opportunity to start if they are moving to the MAC.

3 Likes

Agree completely on this. It’s hard to figure where Brett is going to come down on this. Does he give it up and move on in life without football? Has Oxford gotten too confining and too reminiscent of personal frustration caused by injury? Does he decide to jump back in the portal like McKenzie Milton did at UCF and see if a change of scenery might get him fired up again? What will his physicians recommend for him given the severity of the most recent injury?

Nobody knows right now but Brett. But for now the future of Miami’s 2024 offense pretty much rests on his decision.

I bet Kentucky and Indiana take a look at Veltkamp. I’m pretty sure he made a visit to Oxford and had an offer.

I think you are right. They are in the portal for one of two reasons. They were told to go or there is no opportunity to play where they are now.

And if we bring in a portal QB how does that effect Aveon Smith and how he perceives it? Just asking.

1 Like

Theman has a podcast. It’s called “Fire Steele”.

1 Like

I think that depends on what they have in mind for AV. If it’s just another year as the two or even three QB, he’s probably gone in the spring portal. But there are other options. I’m thinking of how innovative we were in converting DomRob from a QB to a WR to a DE. That got him into the NFL.

Fodder for thought:

The portal doesn’t just givith, it will also taketh away. We will have certain losses.

How attractive is the program to offensive skilled position players? We run fewer plays than anyone in FBS and are heavily run biased. This isn’t to say we can’t land some but I think the pool may be small.

1 Like

We actually already did that. Kopp.

1 Like

One thing that I think Chuck has done remarkably well is not only fill holes but improve performance through the portal. Many of our major contributors are transfers - Wise, Ugwu, McDonald, McKee, Larvadain, Young, Suttle, Amos, Marshall and Dowell.

I’m pretty certain we’ll at least be on the lookout for a possible upgrade at QB.

2 Likes

No doubt that we have seen impact from many of the portal guys. This is especially true on defense. I am concerned that some of the legacy guys are disgruntled by the guarantees that come with some transfers.

I also agree that Chuck will look for a QB in the portal. If he brings one in, does that affect the ability to recruit HS QBs in the future? Same goes for RBs and WRs.

I would think if he continually brings in portal QB’s and they become immediate starters it would hinder the recruitment of HS QB’s.

I think if Chuck brings in any QB it is going to have to be a player with a proven arm and a lot of game experience. Aveon now has a lot of game experience but we know his arm is not his strength. Kopp may have the arm but very limited game experience. Veltkamp has got Big Ben stature but has not really gotten any significant playing time at WKU.

1 Like

I think that mirrors exactly what’s going on everywhere in the FBS. Look at the huge number of starting QB across the country who are transfers.

2 Likes

Who knows. Maybe AV enters the portal

Agreed. This will provide some upward parity to the handful of G5s the net out positive in the portal

First break was going to 85 scholarships. There were MAC level starters being hoarded by the big boys.

I think this allows another tranche to come free

2 Likes

40 plus QB’s already in the portal! Wow!

1 Like

CM did not like the portal. Then he became a freaking master at using it. CM and this staff have killed it in the portal.

5 Likes