Coppin State preview

That team was horrible. Hopefully got some of our guys out of their funk.

I’m going to rewatch the replay later. Sounds like Coppin is really bad, which isn’t surprising considering they’re in the MEAC. Still, I’ll take a 28-point win against one of the worst teams in D1. Happy to see this bunch notch their first win.

1 Like

For the Kotecki cultists.

https://x.com/miamioh_bball/status/1725687747917250669?s=46&t=kkeF2AzE13jVd9hF623X4A

3 Likes

I hope we can wear the red uniforms at home more often, I really like them.

Obligatory comment about a few more students showing up for the free jersey giveaway but still not being engaged yadda yadda yadda…

Fun night though! Any night with a 28-point win is a good night regardless of the competition!

2 Likes

Why did we wear red? Was Coppin St. the “home team” as this was a tournament?

Is this witty or classless?

https://twitter.com/MiamiOH_BBall/status/1725695043745485292?t=6ucbGQJTY6q-2J3C6kS5MQ&s=19

Why is Miami Florida whale’s poo? That should be Ohio U. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No need for this - especially as an official product. Quite offensive to an invited opponent who is still
In our house. There needs to be some adult supervision of social media productions.

3 Likes

That’s where I was leaning.

1 Like

Agreed. No reason for this.

1 Like

It was nice to get a win. I hope for our players’ sake this gives them some confidence. Bultman shot the ball well. Ipsaro showed his range. How about the move Morris made from the foul line, driving it and scoring with a reverse layup? That was something. We took better care of the ball, half of our turnovers were in the first 10 minutes. We had stretches where we played well though in the first such street when we went up 6, we subbed out the group that got us the lead and we lost the momentum. I didn’t like how the last 10 minutes went. We didn’t play well at all. We beat a bad team, but it was a win.

I hope we stay with that starting 5. When I watched Cov Cath to see how we got Rylee and the numbers he was putting up, Ipsaro stood out as the D-1 player, not Rylee. Ipsaro was knocking down pullup 18 foot jumpers with someone in his face, super impressive for a high school player. I’m bullish on him. Cooper was more of a question mark for me, but he’s played with quite a bit of poise and I like what he may do down the line.

3 Likes

I really strongly agree with what you have pointed out here.I do think Ipsaro is a pure point guard, Cooper’s skills make him a shooting guard. He is short but can rebound and get inside a get his shot off. Start these two guys, Hunter and Bultman and Morris. But play all 9 guys. Then we can see where we are at if and when Mirambeaux and Lewis return. A healthy Potter would be a big help, but a redshirt season would allow him to get his back taken care of and he could get stronger. Eventually he and Kotecki and Elmer are all going to be good.

2 Likes

Loved it. Sometimes it is good to just laugh about it.

7 or 8 of those are dunks.

Ok, so we’re at least better than Coppin State. You have to start somewhere, I guess.

I would not start Isparo and Cooper together…think it would be better to have them trade off PT, only periods of overlap.

PS I’m out of country, was this game already played…looks like it was? Lol

Looks like my starting 5 of:

Isparo
Hunter
Mabrey
Elmer
Morris

Did well.

Bultman maybe sorted some things out…or competition worked better for him?

Either way, 2 close loses…dominant win.

Next.

@GuardHawk You old coots need to get that it is 2023 and social media is here to stay. This is how it works now. When you beat someone your social media team immediately trolls them. Even the pros do it. In my opinion that was clever, creative, witty and well done. Also hilarious.

1 Like

As a retired communications director, I used social media to put forward my agency’s best foot. The post in question was crass, unprofessional and uncalled for. There is a need for guardrails. We are not “the pros”. Our athletics teams represent a well-respected university.

You can’t say anything you feel like saying just because you feel like it or think it’s cute. The person who posted this on the basketball x page answers to someone further up the University’s communications food chain. They aren’t a free agent who can post anything they want.

2 Likes

Last night gave me some hope of what we can be. But I am tempering my enthusiasm at least a little until I see how we do against EIU. Coppin St. is the worst DI team I have ever seen play at Millett. I believe they came in 360/362 in computer rankings. Hard to imagine who the two worse teams are. We need to cut down the early turnovers. I think at one point we had 9 turnovers and 8 rebounds. Won’t win many games that way. Nice to see Bultman have a solid game. Ipsaro continues to impress, and he has a sweet jump shot. Morris looks like a different player from his freshman year. He has taken a huge jump forward. I’m not a “Kotecki cultist” but he has given us solid minutes. It will be interesting to see how Steele handles the rotation if, and when, Anderson returns, and if Potter’s back heals enough to play again this year. I think Kotecki needs to continue to see minutes. Actually, I am somewhat excited to see a two big lineup at times. If Potter’s back doesn’t come around, and he is ok with it, redshirt him. Dean sure likes that 35 foot set shot! So on to EIU. I hope to see more of the same we saw last night. After that game, competition ratchets up quite a bit with the Bonnies. I would also stick with this starting lineup of Ipsaro, Cooper, Morris, Bultman, Hunter.

2 Likes

I’m 39, and I found it in poor taste. Troll away; I have no problem with trolling. But calling a team whale poop, especially when we’re not very good ourselves? Be better. The football Twitter/X page gets it.

2 Likes