Coaching Carousel

Do you folks think this 2023-2024 recruiting class is better than Owens’ 2017-2018? I like the kids we have now, but I confess I was more impressed by Sibande, Adaway, ICL, Dalonte Brown (I know, not recruited by Owens).

1 Like

Vermont’s in the NCAA.

2 Likes

Owens’ recruits were all the same guy.

I’ll let you all know if I see Coach O taking some shots of malort around Chicago after they lose by 30 to UConn.

Danny Sprinkle headed to Washington. Tod Kowalczyk reportedly Utah State’s top choice to replace him.

1 Like

Word has it out West that the deal for Sprinkle was done by Dannen right before he bolted to Nebraska after just five months in Seattle.

1 Like

Utah St loses by 39 to Purdue and a day later their head coach leaves for Washington. James Madison loses by 38 to Duke and a day later their head coach leaves for Vanderbilt. Wonder if there’s any correlation there.

We really need the NCAA to shift the portal dates so that it’s closed until a week or two into April.

3 Likes

what’s the correlation between coaches leaving and the portal

1 Like

Utah State must not want to make the tournament anymore.

2 Likes

Dan D’Antoni forced out at Marshall, replaced by an assistant.

Dan, we thank you for your win this season.

2 Likes

Pat Kelsey to Louisville??

2 Likes

It was reported earlier by multiple outlets that Pat Kelsey had accepted an offer to be Louisville’s new coach. It’s now being reported that there’s actually no deal and the search is ongoing.

1 Like

If I was him, I’d avoid that job at all costs. Very sketchy boosters, win at all cost mentality. Unrealistic expectations. But, I’m sure it’s a king’s ransom salary wise…

I wouldn’t want to coach at Louisville for those reasons, but to your point whoever they get is gonna get paid. And with how awful they were the last two seasons, it’s attractive from the standpoint that even hitting modest achievements for that program (i.e. making the tourney) in the first season or two will likely justify an “easy” contract extension and raise. Who knows what happens then, but even if you flop after that it’s a one-way ticket to the Jimbo Fisher experience.

1 Like

I just wonder if they are set up for long term success. I wonder have never have imagined the ACC being in flux but it’s not the same job it was just a few years ago.

1 Like

Wright State’s Scott Nagy appears to be headed to Southern Illinois.

CBB COACH RUMORS on X: “SIU Hearings: Wright State’s Scott Nagy is expected to fill the Salukis’ HC vacancy.” / X (twitter.com)

Wouldn’t surprise me. He was getting paid a lot at WSU and with Bob Grant leaving as AD, the WSU president can now save money and get a cheaper head coach

1 Like

Also, their 2 5th year SR stars ended their eligibility and Braun is in the portal, great time to leave.

2 Likes

Yup, it’s all over. I think Nagy was making $700,000 or so was WSU. Look for them to hire in the range of $200,000 - $300,000.

1 Like