Coaching Carousel

Juwan out at Michigan. He was doing a horrible job.

So is steele

Promoting the top assistant of a coach you fired…that’s certainly a decision, new OSU AD.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, your act is getting real old. Steele walked into a clusterfuck that had stunk like dead flesh for a decade. In year one, he put together one of the best recruiting classes I’ve seen in 50+ years. We are not UK, or Duke. We can’t recruit 5 stars/one and done who can play at a high level day one.
It’s pretty apparent you have no idea what it takes, and the time it takes, to build a college bball program relying on freshman and D2 transfers. In the MAC and most/all other mid-majors, the teams that win in bball and fball are the teams that are jr/sr dominated. Take a look at Akron’s roster. Team relies on 5th yr seniors.
Give it a rest. Steele is not going anywhere–I hope. Let him do his job. I have no doubt that in years 3-4 we will be a terrific team that wins–a lot. My bucket list is to attend every game in the '25-'26 season. Plus, he is making changes that will benefit the team long term that has nothing to do with X’s and O’s.

8 Likes

Reggie Witherspoon might have to move away from lovely Buffalo, NY. Or retire.

Greggie stood strong behind Chuck Martin when most wanted him fired. He also called for the firing of Jack Owens long before it happened. He also called for the firing of the last 2 women’s basketball coaches, again long before others joined in. His record is actually very good.

1 Like

You know this may give new coaching life to Jack Owens. Diebler will probably keep him now while he was likely to be looking for a new job. Hope it works out that way.

1 Like

So does that mean his call on Steele should be heeded. And it is Mighty MU who says he’s tired of Theman’s act.

I personally would not be calling for Steele’s firing, it is a work still in progress and he deserves the time to see it through. I like the attitude he has about program building a lot. To be fair, though, actual on floor performance and winning record is almost exactly the same as the previous two coaches. We fired them, and the MAC itself is not as good as it was then. The criticisms of Coach Steele that was leveled at him by Xavier fans ( excellent speaker and excellent recruiter, BUT a poor in game coach) are still hanging out there and waiting for final judgement, so I would say his grade is still an incomplete and he still has some things to accomplish before he should be declared our next great coach.

I am in his corner, I like what he is trying to do, and I strongly hope Greggie is wrong for the first time.

8 Likes

Also, Greggie was and is a very strong supporter of Jermaine Henderson. Many on this board thought Brad Bates screwed over the program by not keeping Jermaine, - and Greggie is still pissed to this day.

First, I wish I had hit delete rather than send. However, that’s not possible.My comments were insensitive. For that, my apologies to Greggie and all members of MHT. I assure you it will never happen again. It just got to the point where I did not handle the attacks on a coach I believe in more appropriately. However, if he wants to post incendiary posts for two years and before Steele’s seat was warm in his office, then at some point I felt obliged to respond. But in the end I was wrong.

Steele llost to niu at home

And Akron lost to Eastern Michigan at home.

5 Likes

I don’t think you owe anyone an apology.

4 Likes

And we beat both finalists once this season - Akron and Kent State.

2 Likes

Or not
https://x.com/andybackstrom/status/1769747633562591315?s=20

Dambrot retiring

Defensive assistant. That’s rich.

1 Like

I always found him quite offensive as a coach

Well, at least it worked out for him. He will still be getting a power conference assistant’s pay.