CM job security

Did we ever figure out where the money came from for Jack Owens’ buyout?

Steele’s father in law :joy:?

2 Likes

and in the words of Paul Pearson: “Miami doesn’t fire coaches for losing.”

In short Miami cannot afford to fire Coaches.

I wish we could borrow just a few Auburn boosters for a few months. If we can’t figure it out quickly, we’re paying $800k a year for two or three more years of mediocrity and program/fan support erosion. At least we’re killing our program for less than a million a year.

1 Like

It really should not be this hard. He needs to go.

2 Likes

26% 3rd down conversion rate, true story.

Just watched Chuck’s post game presser. “… our offense was rolling”.

Any word on Brett? I know. I could listen to it, but to be honest, I just don’t feel like it.

1a. Academics is a disadvantage for us relative to the rest of the MAC and other places. They opened an on-campus stadium in 2014. Yulman Stadium - Facilities - Tulane University Athletics (tulanegreenwave.com)

1b. We have systemic disadvantages that they don’t, trying to support 3 revenue sports with subsidized student fees. I’m guessing lack of university support at the highest level is at least equal if not tilted toward us.

1. If the MAC East is so easy to win, then how did every MAC East school appear at least once in the championship game since 2015 and twice since 2005. The only MAC East school to appear in back-to-back championship games was BG in 2013-15 (3 straight).

2. How could you not include a MAC Championship as a signature win?

3. This would take a deeper dive but going by SP+: 2014 UC (48th) lost by 7, Marshall (24th) 1 score game in the 4th quarter, 2015 UC (55th) lost by 4; 2016 W. Kentucky (19th) lost by 7, Miss. St. (56th) lost on the blocked FG; we beat OU in 2018 (54th); 2019: lost in the bowl game to ULL (32nd) by 10, beat OU (50th), 2021: lost by 5 at Minnesota (18th). I didn’t include 2019 Iowa and UC that were competitive in the 2nd half. 2022: UC (22nd) was a game in the 4th quarter, Kentucky (20th) was borderline, 2 score game for most of the 2nd half. So not “anytime”.

4. FCS runner-up at Sam Houston St.

If you’ve read my posts, I would fire the OC and take a hard look at the OL coach. I don’t think we can have a breakthrough season with the way the offense is run. Defensively, I think so, especially if the offense improves. And if you go back further, I would’ve fired Owens after 2019 and 2020 but COVID gave him 2 more years because I definitely didn’t see a path, offensively or defensively to victory.

The point of this was that 1 year off of a still flat to improving trend shouldn’t be enough to let someone go automatically and a place that has to confront structural disadvantages like we do is an example of what can happen if some patience is exhibited, as long as appropriate staffing changes are made.

3 Likes

I am not sure we ended up owing Owens much of anything.

His contract at Ohio State pays a base salary of $375K.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketball/2022/09/132849/ohio-state-assistant-basketball-coaches-jake-diebler-jack-owens-and-mike-netti-set-to-make-a-combined-11-million

If Gabbert is badly injured, I’m done with Chuck. He needs to be let go because he can’t be trusted with the bare minimum of player safety. Sure, football is a dangerous game. But that play with three seconds left down 16?

4 Likes

@thechuck_2112 I’m pretty certain a panel of competent D1 coaches would probably agree with you that using your recently injured QB in that capacity in that circumstance could be evidence of negligence, malfeasance and a lack of concern for player safety. If there’s a “for cause” clause in the contract, I think it ought to be examined.

2 Likes

I don’t know that anyone has mentioned this, but what if Brett said “please keep me in!” It’s not a given he was gonna be injured (although with his history this could be debated) and maybe he wanted a chance to try to win. No different than when a pitcher tells the manager he can go a few more when they confer on the mound. The idea that Chuck would intentionally want to hurt a player is not logical. He’s not a cyborg. We all tend to forget how much true players or leaders want to be in the action. Unlike we who work in corporate ‘Murica and talk about “quiet quitting”. Ps, I still have no idea what that is…coasting? Phoning it in? Such a strange time.

Pitchers beg to stay in all the time. It’s up to the pitching coach to monitor their health and the manager must make the decision to pull, not the pitcher. The circumstance is also a major determinant. No pitcher at or near his pitch limit would ever be left in a game trailing by 6 with nobody out in the 9th. That’s the equivalent of where Brett was Tuesday night.

5 Likes

Fair point. There absolutely is the “adult should know better angle.” I would however be willing to bet many of the former MU football players on this forum have been in that situ before. To me, the bigger issue is how we ended up down that much in the first place. I think Chuck needs a new staff on offense namely because with 3 dudes going to Ohio, they likely know his whole play set. If I were in his shoes, I’d find someone very experienced (maybe even a former HC) who has aged out of the big coordinator or job openings and wants to keep working. 180-200k for someone in their retirement years is good bread! And if anyone thinks age can’t win, look at what Mack Brown has done at UNC. Incredible. That is a by far much safer bet than turning the offense over to someone totally unproven. Unless they want to play 4 QB’s!

1 Like

Players dont make decisions on playing time, coaches do…period.

Or GMs when money is on the line…no such parameters @ Miami.

It’s ridiculous…that said on Brett too…just get rid of ball …dont risk injury over zero chance of winning…no would blame on hail mary or just throwing away.

3 Likes

Good perspective. Maybe a bit of bad judgement all around then.

1 Like

Those three plays were actually a better time for the belly series between the tackles than any other possession all night.

1 Like

Not exactly the same situation, but failing to manage player health and letting a guy talk himself back into a game is a big part of what ultimately did Brady Hoke in at Michigan.

3 Likes

Good point.