CM job security

Since Martin has been our head coach we continuously have less fans in our seats. Victories help with this. Major victories against top teams will bring a significant number of fans to see the team. In 9 years, the opposite has happened as we lose to teams even when favored.
Miami’s football reputation continues to decline. Yes, he is better than his predecessor but still cannot deny our slide during his tenure. Our program has gone from being feared to a W on even weak team schedules.
Reportedly, he has great recruiting classes, yet it has not transferred to victories or dominance in the MAC. Are they over rated our is it coaching? My belief coaching. Chuck coaches as if he is still in Division II and appears in awe of most Division I teams.

We need to energize our fan base and team. If not a coaching change what else can be done to revitalize the program.

4 Likes

The contract leads me to believe that we purchase everything at wholesale pricing. We then have a minium level of purchasing we have to meet, if we meet the minimum they will give us some free stuff. The dollar amount of our minimum and what we get for meeting that are redacted.

2 Likes

After the game, Martin was walking aimlessly around the field. Looked like he had no idea which way to go. Did not even walk over to check on Brett.
As I watched him, I thought of one man–Forrest Gump.

Beyond stupid to have Brett in the game at that point.

2 Likes

Hey hey ho ho Chuck Martin’s gotta go.

3 Likes

Honest question: How many D-1 programs would still be employing C M given his overall record?

5 Likes

Few to none, I believe.

This is the record of a current Group of 5 coach up until this year:
4-8
5-7
7-6
6-6
2-10

Before he took over, they had back-to-back 3-9 seasons. Prior to this year, he won 2 bowl games, but hadn’t beaten a ranked team, a Power 5 team, or appeared in a conference championship game.
Would you fire this coach? And of course, any guesses?

Willie Fritz, Tulane.

1 Like

I’m not sure that record count is exactly correct but believe it to be Willie Fritz at Tulane. A couple unusual factors there though like not being able to practice/play or even go to school on campus while being displaced for a Hurricane for an extended period, etc. He’s a very good coach in a tough spot due to the academic limitations ala Vandy, Duke, etc. I understand your point but also look at this for MU: Top sch/campus in MAC (can get about anyone in sch), Top 3 facilities (better than Tulane btw), top 5 MAC recruiting classes. An AD’s job is to eliminate excuses for coaches not winning. DS has done this for FB

4 Likes

I understand pointing this out, but the reality is Coach Fritz has delivered an exceptional year at Tulane. That’s the big gripe here at Miami, after 9 seasons under Martin there is not one stand-out year to point to. At some point, you have to put together a 9+ win season.

2 Likes
  1. Tulane has major systemic disadvantages (academics/facilities) that Miami doesn’t have.
  2. The AAC is a much more difficult conference to win in than the MAC (especially the MAC East).
  3. They had pulled off some signature wins (10 win Army, Houston with D’Eriq King) that we haven’t. Our best win is what, 2020 Ball St?
  4. Even though they weren’t winning, they were competitive with top 25 teams. We get our doors blown off anytime we play anyone in the top 60.
  5. Willie Fritz has a long track record of success at multiple levels with multiple programs that he built. Chuck Martin’s only head coaching experience outside of Miami was when he inherited Brian Kelly’s machine at Grand Valley.

Do you genuinely think that it’s even possible for us to have a breakthrough season like that by continuing business as usual?

6 Likes

Where is CM’s contract now, i.e. how many years left & buyout currently?

Through the end of 2024 (1/31/25 technically). Buyout drops to $0 (from $750k) on 1/31/24 (i.e. too late to fire during the normal coaching carousel)

1 Like

CM will not get fired. His contract will be allowed to run until completion. This is the Miami way.

1 Like

Maybe he should get another extension to 2027 so we can cement our position in mediocrity within the worst FBS conference. He should have been let go years ago!

Nick–I believe that you are, at least for fball, correct. However, Saylor has not hesitated to fire coaches who still have year(s) on their contract. If he wants to replace a coach for losing, he doesn’t seem to hesitate. With Martin, the highest paid, most important head coach at Miami, not so much. Miami has helped make Chuck Martin a wealthy man. Great. But where is our return as alumni and supporters and to the athletic dept/university overall?

9 years have been available to tweak the offense and the team. As we all know, a team is not 1 player and the back ups should be prepared, so if this is an excuse, then this is purely on the coaches. There has been ample time. This is beyond unacceptable.
(Would THE OSU still be a winning team without CJ Stroud? Why can’t we be a winning team?)

2 Likes

Nice unis and helmet decals though!

Just one - MU

1 Like