CM job security

2019- Won the MAC
2020- COVID happened
2021- Finally beat an OOC FBS opponent
2022- Gabbert hurt, beat Northwestern

Unfortunately, he’s doing just enough, ostensibly, to keep his job

1 Like

I think they’re calling this “quiet quitting” these days.

8 Likes

That’s not enough…even by recent graduate expectations.

I hope you’re right.

3 Likes

Well he is tied with OSU and Michigan for 1st in the Big Ten.

Well, he works pretty cheap by G5 FBS standards, and our administration doesn’t have to worry about a P5 head coaching slot being offered to him.

OTOH, we are at stuck w a poor game management HC whose apparent top end performance is 6-6.

Probably time for Sayler to consider other coaching options…

2 Likes

If Jeff Saturday can coach the Colts, I don’t see why @DICK can’t coach the RedHawks

3 Likes

I’m assuming we’d just get a continuance of CM if we made Ballcoach1 the head coach. That would work for him but not for Miami.

1 Like

It’s well past time for Sayler to put together a short list of acceptable candidates and start fund raising for whatever it takes to make a change. I tried to put myself in the place of a financially successful football alum siting in front of the TV somewhere in Ohio and watching tonights performance by Martin’s plateaued program that recently plunged into a death spiral. I can’t imagine pressure isn’t being applied somewhere.

2 Likes

He just lost again to a program with a relatively new HC. Albin didn’t take over a bare cupboard, but the fact remains, year 9 Chuck isn’t getting it done. Lost to year 2 Albin.

2 Likes

Or the financially successful football alum is full aware that when a backup QB, a redshirt freshman, is forced to play because of injury to the starting QB, that the actual season will likely not match expectations. They may see the lack of offensive production as a warning sign and want that side evaluated (as I would with an OC change, even an OL coach change), but like with many long-standing employees, they would give that employee in the managerial position to correct things given how the changes to the defense have largely been successful. If those changes to the offense aren’t effective, then serious questions would have to be asked. Even the commentators said during the game that our record would probably be different if Gabbert had been healthy. A change would raise more eyebrows than meet overwhelming approval from the college football community. If there were another year like this one, IMO then a change should be seriously considered.

2 Likes

Would bet Sayler is getting an earful. Given the financials would guess best we can hope for is Martin will be expected to turn over most of the offensive staff. Questions are 1. Do we have enough $$$ to pay for decent replacements and 2. If you were one of those prospective replacements would you want to go to a position where you knew the coach was on the hot seat and you could be heading to a one and done.

2 Likes

The best solution…and the one I see coming (though given Miami’s “finances” I do not know when it will occur) is the termination of CM as a tacit admission of the inability of Miami FB to achieve the required level of excellence/ winning demanded of all things connected to Miami.

I would hope there is some serious discussion going on in the upper levels of the Miami administration about fixing this middle-of-the-road program.

2 Likes

Maybe keep one home and one away uniform to save money for better offensive staff instead of changing to a new uniform each week??

Our high school is getting new football unis next year and runs about $40,000, so with bigger numbers and higher end gear, I am sure it costs Miami more-unless all these variations are handed Free to Miam by Adidas. That I don’t know.

It might have been different if we’d had a back up QB ready to play when Brett went down - or better yet, had he not been still running for his life in an already decided game against Kentucky. And history repeated itself last night. IMO, it’s time for the overall evaluation today, not after we go 7-5 next year.

4 Likes

Yea no, I wouldn’t.

1 Like

The new uniforms were paid for by a donor so no money came out of the budget for them. They also only one have one home and one away uniform, when it comes to uniforms Miami doesn’t spend near as much as other MAC schools.

2 Likes

Good to know. Maybe its just helmets then that get a lot of rotation. My bad. My perception was multiple uniforms.

The uniforms and all gear with an adidas trademark on it are part of a deal we get from them.
adidas gives us x amount of money in the form of gear. I’m sure it’s a substantial amount of money. Probably covers most if not all unis for all the teams, warm ups, shoes, etc.

5 Likes

So, last night’s game was decided. Take the loss. But noooo, Chuck kept his qb going and got him hurt again.

2 Likes