Can this football team turn it around this year?

Pretty much standard Chuck speak.

1 Like

After reading Loeflerā€™s comments, Iā€™m not sure our preparation was all that great. BG developed a game plan that would be something we wouldnā€™t expect and prepped all week for it. It worked.

We went in with an even more one dimensional offensive game plan than weā€™d used against Kent, assuming it would work against BG and having no plan B in our pocket in case it didnā€™t work. In fact, we seemed to double down on the ā€œrun our small fast backs between the tacklesā€ game plan in the second half.

I think the preparation - planning for the unexpected - was noticeably lacking.

4 Likes

Failure is repeating what is not workingā€¦you have to keep a defense honest by throwing the ball with play action every now and thenā€¦of course it helps to have a QB that can throw it relatively accurately. If you donā€™t, you may want to try a different QB a few series.

4 Likes

Agreed with you there this week. This was the worst coaching job weā€™ve had in 9 years. Outcoached from the kickoff

3 Likes

2017 Article: Apparently, A Funny Thing Must Have Happened on the Way to the Forum!

Interesting site. Not sure I agree with his hot seat rankings but the salary and record info in interesting.

1 Like

Check out Humphreys.

Which begs the question: why on earth didnā€™t Chuck let him play a couple series in the second half at BG?

1 Like

Hereā€™s another interesting Coach evaluation site. Scroll down to ā€œI have no ideaā€

Martin and MTSUā€™s Rick Stockstill are listed in the same category with the Rice, UTEP and San Jose coaches. Hereā€™s what it says:

ā€œIn the case of Rick Stockstill and Chuck Martin, both Middle Tennessee State and Miami (OH) go bowling, but both coaches are only good for sub-.500 performances every year. I am not sure whether the schools expect more or not.ā€

I think my limited interests and energies as a sports fan will be focused on the Guardians from here on out. Iā€™ve seen this Miami football movie before.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still licking my wounds as a Mariners fan over playing a total of 36 innings and losing three games by a total of four runs.

2 Likes

Guessing because heā€™s not on the travel squad and would not have been at the game

1 Like

I donā€™t think yesterday would have been the appropriate time to throw Humphreys into a game even if he was on the travel squad. I do think it might have been a better game plan to expect BG would be throwing something at us to clamp down on our one dimensional running game and have a scheme that would open up the passing game with Hesson. Heā€™s our QB2 right now.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever felt the level of apathy on the board as I do today. Was yesterday a possible straw that broke the camelā€™s back?

3 Likes

How about being a Rays fan like meā€¦giving up 3 runs in 24 innings of wild card playā€¦but only scoring 1 run! But I digress.

Back in the day, I used to look forward to that rare telecast of Miami football. Now, with ESPN+, I can see them all, but it is just not as much fun.

Guess we are looking at hoping for 6-6 and a bowl made just for us againā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty good reason!
P.S. How about Hesson then?

I wish Hesson would have gotten a chance yesterday. What would it hurt? Wonder why we only take 2 QBs on away games?

We take 6 plus Gabbert

3 Likes

Title of this thread (discussion) a bit of paradoxā€¦as in Chuck terms we are right on track for 6-6!

PS, dont look now, Miamiā€™s former coaches, now at Ohio U, currently in 2nd place in East, ugh!

1 Like

Ohioā€™s defense is 129th in the country in efficiency and is allowing 36.9 points per game. Our defense was super mediocre up until Chuck took over the defensive playcalling in 2019ish. If anything, itā€™s proof that Chuck hires coordinators mainly based on his ability to boss them around, not based on their ability to coordinate.

1 Like