Can this football team turn it around this year?

Well, I wasn’t counting the three that don’t play. So you’re saying Smith , Hesson, , Gabbert, (3 in Pennie’s) then who is 6th?

I don’t have a problem with our game plan. Running between the tackles against BG’s 3-4 was perfectly reasonable. The issue became our inability to take guys out of the box which was stopping our run. Even when we had some reasonable success in the passing game BG bet that we wouldn’t or couldn’t repeat that success.

I completely understand why we haven’t used the middle of the field in the passing game but not doing so is going to make the running game increasingly challenging.

Over the past couple of weeks there has been a noticeable decline in body language across the skill position players. I just hope that these are in game frustrations and not indicative of who we are becoming.

2 Likes

True…and I did not look at numbers inside the #s…just the current standing results, which are ironic given CM’s D is good.

I hope we don’t lose some of these receivers, young QBs and other skill positions because of this rough year. I do believe it’s rough because Gabbert isn’t playing. I don’t understand why there wasn’t better preparation regarding back up QBS.

1 Like

I think that you are correct….6 in total (including Brett)

1 Like

Of the six probably only two - Smith and Hesson - got any reps with the ones and twos. They others are probably running with the scout team. The three in Pennie’s are being used as signal callers.

3 Likes

I’m confused. Why would an injured player count against the travel limit? And if he does I would leave him at home and travel someone who can contribute.

1 Like

I believe the current limit for a regular season football travel squad is 65. The MAC restricted that further as a cost saving measure during COVID but I think they rescinded that. All students athletes, regardless of whether they dress or not, are included in the 65 limit.I don’t know if these limits are prescribed by the NCAA or the MAC itself.

In the case of Gabbert it is because he knows the offense better than anyone else of the players and he is there to try to help AS and HH.

2 Likes

A team can dress no more than 70 players for a MAC game, they can travel as many as they want. Yesterday Smith, Hesson, Reis and Tarpey dressed at QB-Edwards and Gabbert traveled but did not dress.

2 Likes

If you follow any of the players’ Twitter accounts, there is already discord and disenchantment with the offensive game plan showing, especially within the WR room.

Edwards?

I’m sure the players love Aveon but they must be acutely aware of his limitations. By continuing to play him and hamstringing the offense they are not putting the team in the best position to win.

4 Likes

Orin Edwards #16

1 Like

I think players are more upset with Playcalling than Aveon

2 Likes

I believe you are mistaken about the numbers. There are no limits on the number of players you can dress at home but you can only feed 65. There is a restriction on the number for the travel squad, whether it is an NCAA or MAC limit, I’m not certain.

1 Like

Orin Edwards, a quarterback from the State of Indiana. Check our roster online and you’ll be better informed.

I really don’t expect everyone to reference the roster every time a new name is mentioned. Edwards hasn’t played yet and is a freshman. That said, I’m not sure I expect him to stay at QB long either.

2 Likes

The MAC dropped their restrictions on travel last year-teams now stay at a hotel on the night before games for home games, not sure about other teams but Miami normally feeds everyone that travels, including those who do not dress. The limit for dress is 70, not 65. Also if Miami wants to pay to travel 80 players they can, they can only dress 70 at road games, you are correct everyone can dress for home games.

1 Like

Thanks. I was working from a table on the EMU site. The feeding restriction On that site was for home games. The official info is probably password protected for university officials to access. The MAC openly published the tightened COVID era restrictions but I never saw any announcement about them being rescinded.