Can this football team turn it around this year?

To be honest, I wasn’t able to watch today’s game (?) but I did listen to the ever-enjoyable Bake account on the radio…

So, that being said, here’s my “observation.” I would imagine any Miami opponent’s grad assistant, defensive analyst or defensive coordinator worth his take/ paycheck would study film of Miami’s last 4-5 games…ever since Aveon took over as QB. (I have nothing personally against Aveon…he seems like a very nice young man and I wish him the best).

The film study would show me that Miami is basically a one-dimensional team with its primary strength being the run game, including Aveon…so I’d load the box, only apply single coverage to Miami’s WRs and put my best defender on Hippenhammer…the goal is to concentrate my effort on D to stopping the run…and that’s exactly what BG did today. Yes, that sort of D may occasionally get beat deep by a great throw…but Miami simply cannot make enough great deep throws to pose a threat through the air.

My 2 cents…

7 Likes

That’s basically what BG did and what every team will do. We need to get the ball to receivers/ playmakers. I like Aveon but agree. He can’t do it. I hope they are working on other options.

4 Likes

It is inexcusable for a school of Miami’s pedigree to continue to employ one of the worst coaches for a school which used to produce exceptional coaches. Now, there is no expectation other than to underwhelm and no reason for Alums and others to care about Miami football.

8 Likes

Plenty of other great games today. Not sure whether I’ll continue to subject myself to us.

2 Likes

Lol, last week. Counter runs one way when Kent’s D-line shifted the other. 1st half wheel route to Coldiron that set up a TD. The 4th down play that clinched the game. Lewis’s special teams mistakes that ended up being the difference.

Look, there’s no excuse for this week. This week is on the offensive staff and the head coach. The defense and special teams did all they could. Given what seemed to be the gameplan, the staff didn’t give the players much of a chance to succeed. I thought Smith did ok. But the staff doesn’t help him out by not taking what the defense was giving us. We’re not throwing the ball to the running backs. Their DBs were sitting back at least 7-10 yards waiting on our receivers. Hippenhammer could’ve just stood at the line of scrimmage, caught a pass and gotten 7 yards. Our best drive was the 2-minute hurry up before halftime. BG didn’t have time to set, Smith just played and threw a great TD pass.

But I’m tired of the constantly outcoached bit. We were in the game against UC with a backup QB.

We got the oh so coveted Power 5 win. Yeah, now it’s just like all of those others in the Walker era that get forgotten because we didn’t win a MAC championship and we won’t win one this year unless incredible things happen.

Buffalo was on the players: penalties and mistakes. Today was on the offensive staff. Sorry, black or white statements about topics in which there are gray areas is a pet peeve of mine. But saying we’re constantly outcoached is disingenuous IMO.

3 Likes

The difference, though, is we don’t get the highs of the Walker Era. Where’s the 10-1 team? Or 8-2-1? Or 8-3?

CM’s teams have never had the upside of past Miami teams. That’s what’s so frustrating for people.

3 Likes

And we consistently lose to teams we should beat. In year nine we have a much-hyped but bad FBS team. If that’s what we want, so be it.

None of Martins teams would have ever gone on the road and beaten nationally ranked teams like Virginia Tech and UNC. Walker’s teams did. I’m sorry if this year’s close, last minute win over a 1-5 Northwestern team that lost its FCS game and got blown out 44-6 by badly struggling Wisconsin doesn’t float my boat.

I’m not complacent with mediocrity and at this stage we would need to improve significantly simply to reach mediocrity.

6 Likes

Agree - this is a coaching problem. This is unacceptable to lose to one of the worst teams in our conference. Kent was a great win last week and is a really good team. BGSU is a bad loss. I don’t really care if BGSU beat Marshall who beat ND. ND is bad too AND losing right now to Stanford. If we do not have a winning season and get to a bowl, it is time for a change. Mediocrity is unacceptable.

4 Likes

Does anybody think David Sayler ever checks these boards??? @VoxRedHawks you’re on this board! Bump this up to the big man and women in charge!!! It’s frustrating at how Miami just continues to underperform when our great alma mater is capable of soooo much better. Heck James Madison is in their first year of FBS football and they’re are ranked,and light years ahead of us! Year 9 and not much to show for it.

3 Likes

Successful Division 2 coaches does not always to being successful Division 1 coaches.

1 Like

Our staff has routinely done an amazing job in preparation, and a horrible job with adjusting in-game.

Look at 4th quarters in the last 9 years.
——-
We aren’t outcoached every game. Anyone who says otherwise is an emotional idiot.

With that said…. TODAY we were outcoached

3 Likes

Sorry Idiot…can’t go that far with you on this one…OK, we aren’t out coached on every game, but I would submit we are in the majority of our games. This includes game plan, play calling, and use of personnel.

It was instrumental to watch other college games today and tonight, especially the UK-Miss State game. As UK ran and ran the ball, the announcers astutely noticed that Miss State had all 11 defenders within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, so what does UK do? Under blitz pressure, their QB lobs a pass down to to a wide open WR 30!yards down the field. It was an under-thrown pass but no matter as the WR blew by the bunched up defense. If our QB is so poor at throwing that we can’t throw the deep ball the ball in that situation, then we need a new QB. (and maybe a new OC to boot!)

3 Likes

Like I said…. Great at preparation. Horrible at in-game adjustments.

Doesn’t even have to be a deep ball. Even in the run game, something outside the tackles would have been nice today.
——
Notice how all of our issues seem to be on the offensive side of the ball year in and year out.

Up to Chuck to make a change

3 Likes

We need a Levis type QB

CM post game interview with Bake:

• Not much margin for error right now
  • Played four of these type games in a row
  • it’s who we are right now
  • kids played hard
  • they made one more play than we did

OUTCOACHED!

FROM THE BG LOCKER ROOM

• “We had a great game plan. If you go and do the same old, same old versus Miami of Ohio, they’re going to crush you in the run game. We did a bunch of things in the run game that we haven’t done all year long.” - Head Coach Scot Loeffler

Well it’s true, as said before…BG figured us out, held our run production down and we did nothing in pass gane to adjust, nothing…

BG even ran well on us.

Our OC does not feel the game well, our rythmn is poor.

2 Likes

That post game was abysmal. Bush league.

1 Like

Any discussion of Miami football and Chuck Martin’s tenure should begin with this sentence:
YARN | I've witnessed nothing but profound mediocrity. | Ted Lasso (2020) - S01E01 Pilot | Video clips by quotes | 1dbb7ed0 | 紗

5 Likes

If our team is so thin in talent that Gabbard can’t be replaced, then a couple of things pop to mind:

1. Our recruiting has been way over rated
  2. It was extremely dumb to keep our qb in the Kentucky game since it was a lost cause already.
  3. We unfortunately have a lousy coach and staff who could never find a way to adapt to the situation.
    It is time for a change.
4 Likes