Build It

I think a big issue is it is hard to convince locals to come to a G5 game. For example San Diego State has a similar issue and they have a brand new stadium in a city with top 10 population in the country that sells out stadiums for MLB and womens soccer regularly

2 Likes

The Phoenix?

2 Likes

On the topic of hotels in Oxford, it was interesting to see the new hotel rising up behind the Millett parking lot - good size and on the outside, looks like it is getting close to being finished. Looks like it literally will have a direct set of steps or sidewalk connection to the parking lot at Millett. So more rooms on the way - I believe a new hotel on 27 near the Walmart has just been built also.

4 Likes

I’d worry about the Great Miami aquifer.

Wait a second……30 years ago Walmart broke ground on a space on locust. That was just as I was graduating. Did they move out on 27 subsequently or was the original plan scrapped?

1 Like

They’re out on 27 North on the right hand side.

They moved from the Locust location (where they were when I was in college).

I believe the the new city library is on the site of the previous Walmart.

Ridiculous school of the day (and poss new MTN West Member):
Tarleton State
13,000 students
18,000 Town population
Suites - yep
Club seats - yep
24,000 seats
FBS: 18 seconds

1 Like

Eastern Kentucky plays in that conference with a bunch of Texas and Utah schools!

Talking about local support, I went to Meijer in Hamilton, about 18 minutes from my home in Oxford. I noticed that there wasn’t a single RedHawks jersey, hat, sock, or other item for sale; It was all about OSU and Michigan (!!!). Like, you know, Miami has a campus in Hamilton. Target does a better job, but the number of Miami’s products pales compared to OSU’s and Bengals’.

I even dare say that the Talawanda Braves have a more passionate base in Oxford than the RedHawks.

IMHO, this is the bigger problem to be fixed before getting into premium seating.

8 Likes

I used to see more UK stuff in Butler County stores than Miami gear…

1 Like

There’s a reason it’s called Hamiltucky.

2 Likes

In 1971, when I started work there, 39% of Butler County residents were born in Kentucky.

Tarleton was / is essentially a branch campus of TX A&M - their stores surely have more TXAM and UT gear that Tarleton. They had like a 9000 seat stadium and were FCS 10 min ago. We sold hockey suites and club seats 20 yrs ago - you hustle and sell. We are in the top 20 for ultra rich alums - it’s there. We can have nice things.
Again - find me another FBS program with NO premium seating in FB or BB.

I think this is the crux of it. Miami athletics is unable or unwilling to do this

1 Like

I once heard a couple years back that Miami is super restrictive on our branding relative to other schools and that makes it harder for stores like Meijer to sell our merch. Is someone able to confirm if this is or isn’t true?

4 Likes

Well maybe they should loosen up their restrictions because some of our merch looks soo bad and merch is very hard to find anywhere that isn’t the bookstore.

2 Likes

I always get confused with that college and the cigarette brand (Tarrytown) that used to show people with black eyes smoking and the headline said something like “Id rather fight than switch…” What a stupid idea that was. They showed men and ladies with black eyes. I’ll see if I can dig up an ad or two. Just wild.