Buffalo vs. Miami

Who cares about OU? :blush:

1 Like

I was at the game tonight and counted TV timeouts. There were 13 totaling over 40 minutes. That is in addition to halftime and timeouts between quarters.

Pestilence. Famine and TV timeouts. The challenges humanity must solve to make progress!

1 Like

Bless you for attending! I went to many a Miami game (home and many away) throughout the years, but not so much anymore.

1 Like

Lovemaking can be a TV product, too. But it’s much more rewarding to experience it firsthand.

1 Like

I encourage one and all to attend the November games. Long underwear is the solution to most of the world’s problems

1 Like

Preach it!

1 Like

That’s right where he broke his leg!

One thing AV does do well is he doesn’t turn the ball over. And that is huge.

3 Likes

This probably deserves it’s own thread but does anyone have a list of the young men who walked during senior night?

If we assume they won’t be returning next year i would love to know who is leaving.

Well AV did have 5 picks last year with only 11 TDs. Not a good ratio. So maybe that is why Martin doesn’t let him throw much? No good QB has a 40% completion ratio and 50% INT rate vs TD in 12 games which is an entire season at this point. He doesn’t even have good running stats at this point. He did better last year. Yeah we won vs a way inferior UB opponent but good grief. We can’t keep skating by on our Special Teams and Defense. Graham Nicholson and Salopek’s backs our hurting from carrying this pathetic offense.

Much was made of Buffalo’s penchant for forcing turnovers. They didn’t force a single one tonight.

2 Likes

But Buffalo’s offense play calling was abysmal.

4 Likes

It kind of reminded me of our game at Army in 2021 when we alternated QB on almost every series - sometimes on every other play. That’s not an effective 2 QB system.

Said “dumbass students” were in class, had group project meetings that could only happen during the game, have an exam to study for so they can keep their scholarship or get into grad school or qualify for a job interview, etc.

Blame it on the MAC for taking the money for middle of the week games in November. I’ll complain about “MACtion” forever and a day. This game should have been on a Saturday afternoon to give everyone a better opportunity to support the team with filled stands. The team earned the right to have this game played with potential maximum capacity. Not this emptiness. [/Buzz Killington]

1 Like

Professor Fate I hear your point but i think lots of Miami fans are either too young or have selective memories when it comes to November football. I have been in attendance at a Saturday game in November where a berth in the MAC championship was a possibility and the butts in the seats were less than 6,000.

If this game was held on a Saturday i think we would be desperately disappointed by the attendance.

3 Likes

MiamiJohn, I was at the 1998 final home game when 5,000 or 6,000 fans showed up with the Las Vegas Bowl representatives were there to see fan support. I’ve been to final home games that were the same day as Ohio State - Michigan (when The Game was played the Saturday before Thanksgiving) and few fans were there. I know. I made the choice to go support Miami during those times and don’t regret it. But I could make the choice because I didn’t have a class scheduled or my work schedule made it easier to move a shift around in a weekend.

I’m so sick of “MACtion”. There’s so many NBA, NHL, college basketball on at the same time on The Mothership that a lot of MACtion gets pushed to ESPNU or worse. The purpose originally was to highlight the conference, now it’s just filler. One week night game a season for each team I would be in favor of. Not 2 or 3. MACtion has destroyed those schools college students chances of developing a following for their school. Instead they slap on their Tosu and UM and ND and whoever because that’s Saturdays to them all college football season.

But I don’t write gigantic checks to support Miami sports to say different and I will never be able to afford to.

This team deserved a far better crowd tonight. The weather cooperated. People should have been there in much bigger numbers to support these players.

4 Likes

Pathetic offenses don’t score points, let alone win games. And this team has finished the road to an East Division title with a back-up quarterback. I, for one, am enjoying the ride. I recommend joining the party.

4 Likes

To be fair, group meetings, exams, etc. didn’t stop students from packing Yager on Tuesday nights 20 years ago. The difference is there isn’t a guaranteed 1st round pick playing the most recognizable position.

The whole reason it started was because the MAC had recognizable QB talent… but also so ESPN could get easy live content and to show that the WWL could appear to be ahead of the curve in showcasing upcoming draft talent. But those games were still played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. People still had to go to work the next day, students still had class the next day, and yet people still attended the games.

This team deserves way more butts in the seats. But neither the day of the week nor the time of kickoff determines if Yager is packed. The current students think the football team is mediocre given recent mediocre records. Young alums spent years thinking the team was terrible because the team had terrible records for most of their years on campus. Continued success after this season is what will increase attendance. Then students may magically figure out how to have group meetings at other times other than Tuesday or Wednesday at 7 p.m. in November.

2 Likes

MACtion is not ideal. On one hand it gives our MAC teams and universities prime time national exposure we would never get without it. That is a boon to mid-major recruitment. It also provides a significant revenue stream to our 12 programs that 6,000 butts in the seats on two cold November Saturdays would not replace. For the more rural schools in the conference it is not conducive to drawing crowds from the general public. Fans from visiting schools don’t travel to these games. And MACtion only works for the rivalry games in the two metro markets - Kent/Akron and Toledo/BG. Ohio vs Miami and Central vs Western should NEVER be midweek MACtion games.

But as to being a huge burden to on-campus students, and the overall university community, I say poppycock.

MACtion is three hours on two nights a year. Many students spend far more time playing video games or listening to music than that on a weekly basis year round. The stadium is easy walking distance from their residence halls. Universities schedule mid-week basketball games that draw big crowds at numerous campuses. Although we are a well-respected academic institution, the academic pressures at Miami are not extraordinary.

Toledo and Bowling Green turned out en masse last night. A significantly large contingent of Toledo students made the 25 mile trip to BG.

Attending a championship game on campus should be a bonding opportunity for students. By choosing to boycott tonight’s game they willingly forfeited perhaps their only opportunity to be part of that special communal collegiate experience.

But I’m sure they’ll remember that meeting, study session or group video game for the rest of their lives. Maybe they’ll even have a fan board to reminisce about them when they’re in their 60s as they fondly raise a glass to dear old Alma Mater…

1 Like