Brett Gabbert

Coastal runs a pseudo option offense, so I assume he probably would have been recruited as a QB. He definitely would have been behind Grayson McCall, but their QB depth chart is a little iffy after that. Not crazy to think he might have gotten on the field now that McCall is out injured.

2 Likes

In the best decade in OU’s history, they won zero MAC titles. In the worst decade in MU’s history, we won two MAC titles. :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

Yet I would probably trade our last decade for Ohio’s last decade.

2 Likes

Yes Dick, agree that there was some frustration with the lack of MAC titles 1969-72 but we were still winning consistently at a .700 clip. In today’s world of 12 games that’s 8-4 regular season record each and every year.

I would agree that although our non conference record was far superior in those years (vs. today), the opponents were perhaps not as formidable as today (although we have a gimme FCS game on the schedule each year now). At the same time, I would argue as of late the MAC is a much weaker conference, and the stats ranking each team would bear me out on that. The teams we beat those years were mostly horrendous, and it is not a stretch to expect us to go 6-2 in this conference most every year with an occasional 7-1 or 5-3. Chuck’s inability to achieve this has been well documented on this forum.
Our expectations should be higher.
At the same time, given financial realities of buyouts, I wouldn’t fire Chuck but if I were Sayler I would demand changes be made to address our poor play calling, personnel, game management and use of our players to take advantage of their strengths. Give him one or two years and if we continue to be just a .500 type program, make a change.

Yes, this is the situation where it’s acceptable to me. When the 2nd QB has the keys to the entire offense as Ragland did, then it can work. I don’t want to see the 2nd QB be limited to running or throwing short passes because that will only work for so long as the Ball St. QB was Tuesday night. If the 2nd QB has the entire offense at his disposal, I’m for that.

1 Like

In your words, what a sad, sad argument!

What?

Back on topic, bummed to see Brett leave but he gave it his all for 4 years, graduated, and wants to try his hand elsewhere. Can’t fault him for that and hope he excels wherever he lands.

5 Likes

Go figure that the guy openly rooting for Ohio U to win the MAC is anti-DICK. LMAO.

1 Like

Too bad there’s no raspberry emoji. I’d offer you one. I have no problem with Dick once it’s understood that he is the self-appointed liaison between official Miami athletics and the board and the most staunch defender of the CM era.

2 Likes

I did not say Miami won a lot more, I said Miami won more, and I was quoting from Miami football game note. You are trying to dismiss a fact by adding a couple of words.

But I left the warm press box with free food to go sit out in the cold and cheer my team on.

3 Likes

Not doing that either, Dick, just providng the actual facts.

OU and Toledo have the same or more wins the last several seasons…than Miami…with significant more overall OOC success.

Back to Brett, it was going to happen at some point, and it’s hard to know if he can stay on field, so I say let’s see what’s next…many thanks to Brett.

But if CM does not make staff change…he can no longer be taken seriously, the offense has been so underwhelming his entire tenure.

All the “pissed off” fans on this forum might have just given me a fantastic holiday decorating idea! Follow my thought: I make a wooden Santa (flat front with two by four holding it up in the back). But this Santa would have his pants down and look as if he’s relieving himself on the roof. (Perhaps with an impish wink over the shoulder) And!!! I’d use the yellow strand of lights we have to run in a line from Santa off the side of the house. Tastefully executed of course, but how to convince the wife…

3 Likes

This is very true - Dick left the rest of us “liaisons to the athletic department” to face the chill air at halftime - leaving us warm and cozy in the press box - I am such an asshole for that, but I like staying warm. :grin:

2 Likes

On a serious note - Brett is a great QB - I have enjoyed watching him play. The situations in which he was injured this year were time windows he shouldn’t have been in the game. I do also believe, however, that once a player gets injured and misses multiple games in each and every season he was active - it simply proves he is injury prone - clear and simple. Those injuries were likely to also happen in any of the 8 games he didn’t play in. Any P5 taking the leap with BG should assess the injury resume - some dudes get hurt - other tend not to - it sucks I know and he is a great player no doubt. Best of luck to Brett in the future.

4 Likes

@TomW92 Take a look at the case of QB Michael Penix, Jr. in his first year at Indiana he was spectacular. He was injured in his second, third and fourth year there. He got healthy, jumped in the trsnsfer portal and ended up at Washington, playing for the guy who coached him his first year at IU. He won the starting job at Washington this spring and has stayed healthy all season. He has Washington at 9-2 and is the fifth highest rated QB in FBS right now…this could happen for Brett. I hope it does. I just hope he doesn’t go to a team we play in the next two years.

1 Like

Brett will be fine. He has his Miami degree. He will be the starting QB somewhere next year it just won’t be Miami. And he has options on where to play next. He didn’t make this move without already having a strong idea where he would end up. And no, I don’t know where he is going. I have speculation though just like others on this board.

1 Like

It would almost be more fun to throw out ridiculous schools he’s not going to end up at but be firm that he will. I’ll start: The Presbyterian Blue Hose! He’s going there!!!

UC lost its chance to win the AAC and get to a New Year’s Six bowl yesterday. Their fans are obviously disappointed, but remain optimistic. Here’s what the Cincinnati Enquirer had to say this morning:

“But we’re not talking about a program that slid back to 7-5, 6-6 or worse. The fact the Bearcats found a way to win nine games by not being as talented or experienced speaks to the winning culture Fickell has established. The program will continue to grow.”

I want that kind of culture.

6 Likes