Brett Gabbert

…which brings us right back to the OC and play-calling…when you have a QB who is a great runner and a below average passer, don’t ya think after a few games Koehler would get it through his thick skull that you have to run plays that complement Aveon’s skill set?

Quick patterns and QB runs and play action when the D has to respect his running ability and then dump off short passes to the tight end and/or slants or medium length crossing patterns.

4 Likes

It’s an interesting discussion. I tend to think most “dual threat QBs” are actually more running threat than passing threat. Rare are the truly good pocket passers who can beat you with their legs. They’re the guys tearing things up on Sunday.

And to me, when you have a running QB that isn’t that good of a passer, it’s extremely limiting to a team’s upside. You can absolutely beat mediocre and bad teams but you’ll never beat good defenses in big games without a competent passing attack. Heck, you won’t make the big games.

That’s simplified but I prefer very good pocket passing skills over running skills out of the QB position.

4 Likes

Phil you make an excellent point. I would prefer a QB with running ability in the mold of Mahomes or Allen than a “running QB”.

2 Likes

I think Humphreys fits your vision of a QB well. Great arm. Great legs (rushed for 610 yds and 17 touchdowns his sr yr). Check out his videos. You will be impressed.

2 Likes

MightyMU-that is who I have said multiple times should have seen a little game action this year. His HS tape is very impressive. And he has a long stride as well when running the ball. Accurate passer too.

1 Like

Totally agree CP. Excited to see him in the spring, summer, opening of camp '23.

1 Like

There is absolutely no reasonable assumption that the next coach we hire will be able in any way to keep that going. What you got instead was a horrible coach in Don Treadwell who destroyed the program. Just looking at the coaching hires over the last couple of decades in our top 4 sports, a big majority of them have been failures. So that is what is most likely to happen, 5 years of failure, and that has been proven over time.

2 Likes

AS should go to one of the many “passing camps” held during the summer each year.

He needs to reduce the “float time” on his deeper passes, as float time equates to DBs also having more time to get into position break up or intercept his passes which also neutralizes the receiver. Too much float time equates to a jump ball in hoops.

1 Like

Not saying there would be any reasonable assumption for it, just saying that just about any coach would want to move on as quickly as possible.

You keep coming back to this point, but nobody on here is defending Koehler. Everybody seems to agree that he should be reassigned at least. There is a lively arguement about firing Chuck or replacing Aveon.

Then we need to fire Sayler today. That’s a damning indictment of our AD.

5 Likes
  1. According to Miami game Notes, we are 34-16 in the last 50 MAC games, the best in the MAC. So that stat goes back to sometime in 2016.

2. No one can make a reasonable argument that over that time period OU or UT has played a tougher nonleauge schedule

3.Ohio was 3-9 last year.Only if you throw that out have they been consistent.

1 Like

Yes, my point was that the frustration was high, mainly because we could not get over the hump. It was very similar to the frustration many are expressing now. We did not fire Bill Mallory, who was taking the brunt of the complaining, but stuck with him.

Our nonleague schedule was pretty easy compared to now a days. We played UD and X every year, and they were both fading and about to drop out of D1 in Dayton’s case, and drop football in Xavier’s case. UC was at the level of a slightly above average MAC program at that time. Besides those 3, we would play one other game, which included Pacific, Tulane, Indiana, Maryland, and one other team that I can’t think of now. The MAC games were actually often tougher than the nonconference games. Now that scheduling is just for those specific 5 years which I talked about.

2 Likes

Sure are a lot of 8 and 9 game winning seasons in Athens since Frank showed up. Bobcat success looks pretty consistent to me.

3 Likes

The reality is thay a true dual-threat QB that can throw and run well (especially as a RS Freshman) is not likely to wind up at a MAC school. Smith was recruited by us, FCS schools, Army (throws like 5 times per game), and Coastal Carolina (great G5 program, but no idea if they were even looking at him for QB; at the minimum their depth chart is probably strong enough where he wouldn’t be 2nd string this season). The lack of other FBS interest is a bit telling.

What a sad, sad argument. Embrace mediocrity for fear of failure. No wonder you get seats in the warm press box!

1 Like

Dick,

I gave you the numbers, they are not disputable.

You said Miami has won a lot more MAC games than OU and Toledo over that time.

That is false…34 for Miami includes MAC championship…

But the regular season are as stated, with OU and Toledo slightly ahead.

I did not say that Miami’s OOC has not been hard or even harder…just that there is little evidence that CM would do better against an OU type schedule…CM has only beating two non MAC FBS teams in his 9 years here.

Then you cite one year for OU with their new coach as inconsistent? I respect the heck out of you, but can’t even acknowledge that as an argument (that one year is called an outlier). If that is your basis for inconsistent…CM has two 4-4 MAC seasons, guy is all over the place, lol…come on.

OU is definition of consistent in MAC and as a G5…this year they might finally get the championship monkey off the back, we’ll see - hope not, but might just happen.

3 Likes

True, but we can’t let fear of failure dictate our decision-making. The program is in a far better place now than 2013 (way better roster talent, culture, facilities, etc), when Chuck took over and people were telling him we were a dead end. We were able to attract Megan Duffy after the Cleve Wright debacle, we can attract a football coach who can move us up in the world. It’s always a risk with a regime change, but every coaching tenure comes to an end at some point; we have to be prepared to do what is necessary for Miami football. I don’t think Martin deserves to be fired right now even if he’s a bit past his expiration date, but we do need to set the bar higher so he either moves up or out in the next season or two.

2 Likes

OU appears to be doing just fine post Frank the Tank.

3 Likes

One glitch year - in which they derailed Miami’s championship plans - and then a possible MACC and 10 win season. Not bad at all.

2 Likes