Box Named Women’s Basketball Head Coach

Well said Los Angeles based Fatherly Figure. I would also think JUCO and D2/NAIA might be viable paths as well, although those might be part of the portal already. Not sure. Also, hire Dick as a consultant. Do this immediately.

1 Like

I believe one of our recently recommitted signees has yet to sign anywhere. I’d be on the phone with her too if she is still available.

Sorry, haven’t slammed the door. This Board has been a fun and interesting experience as so many are a) a Miami fan/alum, b) a bball junkie or c) a combo. I think it’s great that so many care enough to have this community. Hope it always remains this active - not just during insane drama that led to all this (but bet there can still be more due to legal mess from the leaks.) There are a few though that get on here bc this particular program is us. We wore the uniform. We take it very personal when anyone demeans the program, is apathetic towards the program, disses on Miami/Millett/the current team, etc. Confuse us with a beach school down south or add “of Ohio” onto our name - well, “hell has no fury” like one of us! We were blessed beyond measure to get to play a sport we loved while getting our brains kicked in by Miami’s academic standards. All any of us wanted was to have coaching staffs that had each of our best interest at heart, had the knowledge to make us the best we individually could be and collectively could achieve. We didn’t appreciate any drama brought on by our coaches as our time as college athletes was short. So the selection of a new head coach down to Director of Ops is always serious business either bc we survived lesser staffs or got lucky. We don’t wish what we might have experienced on any current players. Or, we only hope the next roster will experience the time that we did. A coaching staff can make or break those odds…easily. I know my teammates and I remain indebted to “Mother Miami” for our lifetimes. We look forward to supporting Coach Box and most importantly for Coach Box to fully understand “Love and Honor”. And as for CDH, she’s one of us and we will always be in her corner wherever that may be.

14 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Glad you’re staying on the board. Just being Miami - a MAC mid/major in the athletic shadow of TOSU and that school down the road in Clifton - puts the chip squarely on our shoulder.

Agree with you on many issues but as someone whose fandom goes back to 1964, I will never surrender the right - as an alum - to refer to us as Miami of Ohio. I own a button that says that that I bought in the old Miami Bookstore upstairs in the Shriver Center. And I was privy to the one-man campaign that made getting rid of “of Ohio” a personal issue/vendetta back in the day.

But I was also a small part of the socially positive initiative that made us RedHawks, as well. So I suppose several people have reason to despise me for two separate positions I’ve taken.

But when you’ve been a member of the Hughes Society for two years you basically don’t give a damn.

Love and Honor!

1 Like

Very well said. I can’t imagine anybody on this board does share the same sentiments. We want the best for Miami and particularly those who put on the uniform to represent our school. Love and Honor.

1 Like

Headline: “Box tapped following Miami women’s hoops sex scandal”.

1 Like

And the introductory press conference will be held…
Point being, it needs to happen soon so possible recruits, re-recruits and girls in the portal can get a read on this guy ASAP.

If she has not committed elsewhere, I would already have been on the phone to Maddi Cluse if I were Box.

1 Like

The presser is today.

And for all we know, this deal was probably done late last week but was not announced until yesterday. I’m sure there’s been plenty of movement we have no idea about.

2 Likes

Never mind on Cluse. She is headed to Clemson along with Amani Freeman. Sort of begs the question, how did this Miami team with players good enough to go to Clemson (2) and Wolf to Dayton, play as poorly as they did. Speaks volumes about our prior HC.

3 Likes

The recruits aren’t trying to get a read at a press conference. He’s been in contact with them since everything was signed.

1 Like

Watching the press conference now. Every minute of it. He has said some interesting things. First of all, he is setting expectations by saying “eventually we will be …”. I do like that by saying in essence, “look it is going to take a little time”. Also, he said on offense he values efficiency, ball control, taking care of the ball. They will run, eventually, when they have the roster to do so. Similarly in D, they will eventually be man D. But the initial roster may not allow that. Also, just contacted on Saturday morning, Sayler their the next day at Box’s house. Box said it was time for him to move from being an assistant coach to a head coach. So all this came together quickly. Next thing for him is to build a staff, and he already has ideas on that. Then recruit. Much more said. I encourage all to watch the replay.

3 Likes

Impressive start. This guy has the energy and charisma to sell the program.

3 Likes

He and coach Steele will get along well and that’s pretty important as big fundraising efforts might be a joint effort. Or dual wishes for facility related needs.

1 Like

The job had been open for a week and a half at that point. He was first mentioned as a candidate and then heavily debated on here on Friday night. Did we do this?

Nice press conference but these Miami events usually leave more questions unanswered than answered.

Box indicates he never heard from Miami until this past Thursday or Friday and did not have a ZOOM interview until Saturday. I know that a lot of times interest in these jobs by candidates are expressed by agents or other third parties to provide deniability to all concerned if it does not work out

However…

Sayler had to know Hendrix was done as soon as he got the tip on the inappropriate relationship on April 19. Her official resignation was announced April 26.

It took over two weeks officially (three weeks from 4/19) before we reached out to the candidate we ultimately hired?

Does it really take us that much time to get a hiring process engaged for a position like this?

Or were other candidates approached first but were not interested?

I also found it interesting that Box say that he did not meet President Crawford until after he had been offered the job and accepted.

I understand why the university President might not be routinely involved in the hiring of the women’s basketball coach but coming off the train wreck we just witnessed I would think he would have been more involved considering all the talk about the concerns for our female student athletes.

3 Likes

I don’t see why the president needs to be involved in a hire like this. That’s why you have an AD and an athletic department staff. It’s called delegating.

That bothered me as well which is why I alluded to the time frame in my post above regarding the press conference. Certainly not Box’s fault as to when he is contacted. Process to get to him seems to have taken longer than it should have.

One thing that seems to be forgotten is that once Jude Killy left (aka Sayler’s right hand man) he was not replaced as of this post when he departed in January.

1 Like

There were other candidates. The A.D. expressed a key thing regarding this hire and obviously was what he focused on. Guess if you can. But as far as dates LaxDaddy listed and the timing of all this - the hiring process was poorly handled. I will support Coach Box as long as he coaches with the integrity of a great teacher, be an outstanding motivator and puts his players’ success first. But what I want to see happen profusely - get a new Athletic Director. We are the Cradle of Coaches - that’s not a gimmick. We have a Sports Studies program involving a Kinesiology dept preparing Miami Pre Med majors for great success with their MCAT. Did everyone know this? We aren’t in a power conference with media contracts piling on the cash. But what we do excel in is a brain trust of real, nationally-recognized sport scientists. FYI, did anyone know here that we have one of the top applied sport psychologist on the planet? So someone in O-town, direct Coach Box to that end of campus - please!
The Athletic Dept needs more wins, which leads to more excitement, which results in more fans in the stands, which brings in $$$. Case in point, we just hosted U. of Okla #1 fastpitch team in the country! Wow! Not a seat left anywhere remotely around that field. So we should be recruiting the best and standing on the mantra that our coaches will make you the best student-athlete you can physically, mentally, emotionally be. Bloated NILs won’t result in that. Therefore, we need new leadership - and the Hendrix debacle proves it. She should have been gone last year. Coach Box has his work cut out for him big time. Oh how I pray he brings in a staff worthy of the challenge and embraces a consensus as a staff that understands how great Miami women’s basketball can be. Miami produces such amazing graduates in their Sport Studies programs - undergrad and graduate. Let’s see the other end of campus make the most of that…Salyer obviously doesn’t get it.

2 Likes