Box Named Women’s Basketball Head Coach

It’s over, we have a new coach, so how about we stop taking shots at each other and parsing other’s words. Coach Box is our coach and we need to get behind him and support his efforts to rebuild our program.

7 Likes

Millett would be a pile of rubble if I were!! :grinning:

Whenever there’s a job opening, there’s always a debate over whether we should hire a high major assistant, a lower level head coach, or someone who’s very familiar with the conference. Box actually manages to check all three of those boxes and he’s been successful in all three of those roles. A good resume doesn’t guarantee good results and it’ll be a big uphill battle to fix the program where it is now, but I’m happy with this hire.

5 Likes

Roger that.

2 Likes

So is this hire considered outside of the Box?

2 Likes

It’s like “we have a new coach but people want us to think outside the box” and it’s like wait, Box is thinking outside the box. At least my box. The one where Dick was named intern coach.

1 Like

He’s in the fold.

3 Likes

So is “Living In A Box” is going to be the warm-ups song?

4 Likes

Make Dick an “interim honorary assistant coach.” Lives in Cincy I think so no re-lo expense. I commuted from Wyoming (Cincy burb) my last year so I know it can be done. He’ll have backing of most all the good folks at MHT. He’s aMiami alum and passionate about Miami sports. Maybe bit light on WBB coaching experience and not a woman (gotta’ admit that would have been nice) but otherwise checks most all the boxes. Blues, Digi and Yellow 5… all you’s guys with connections see what you can do!

In the meantime…he’s our coach and WBB has been a train wreck. Maybe not everyone’s #1 here but resume is pretty damn good. Like Quinoburger I think he’s a great hire.

1 Like

Dick was Boxed out.

2 Likes

@DICK doesn’t live in Cincinnati but has coached girls at the junior high, high school and AAU level.

1 Like

Dude, get over it and move on.

And it’s “should HAVE hired…”

3 Likes

So from 1974-2023 we’ve had one male head women’s basketball coach at Miami. He was here for 4 years. Say what you want about Miami women’s hoops, but I wouldn’t categorize it as an example of “the good ole boys” club.

Hoping Coach Box gets us moved squarely in the right direction.

1 Like

I’m gonna make a bold prediction (and this is based on no insider knowledge as I haven’t any) that this coach wins more games than the last coach won in her best year, and he will do this year one. I am making this based on my belief he will bring in awesome transfers. Let’s hope I’m right!

2 Likes

My comment to RedSea on the other post didn’t migrate. It was that door we just hear slamming was probably MotherMiami leaving the building. I do understand her frustration. I’m pretty certain the new coach understands the frustration as well and has experience dealing with it.

Heart-Shaped Box

2 Likes

Excellent hire !

1 Like

On paper, you can’t complain about hiring Glenn Box.

1 Like

And you cannot even fathom the level of disgust when that first man got the job.

A few things that might be on the list of Coach Box “right out of the box”.

1. Convince Peyton Scott to stay
  2. Hire assistants. He should be able to hire who he wants. Most new head coaches have a long list of others in the profession they have worked with and/or know that they naturally would gravitate to. It would be nice to have someone with a Miami connection on staff. Colleen would be a natural fit as she needs a job. I don’t know if Box even knows her. Interestingly, Hendrix did not hire anyone with a Miami background and no one on this board said much about it. Steele did bring in Carl Richburg to cover that base.
  3. I see only one IU player in the portal that has not yet committed. 6-2 Mona Zaric a rising junior from Serbia. I don’t know if Box wants her or she wants to come but we could use the height.
  4. Hit the transfer portal hard. Last day for players to enter is May 11.
  5. Make contact with the two remaining incoming freshman to determine if there is mutual interest in them still enrolling at Miami.
  6. Hit the recruiting circuit hard for 2024 class with the likely promise of some early playing time to top talent.

Coach is going to be a very busy man over the next few weeks.

1 Like